    Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
    grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
    REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"
    Daniel Prince, May 9, 2007

  2. Daniel Prince

    John Ortt Guest

    I bought a 3in1 charger from 7 day shop.

    "Offers 3 ways to charge your up your AA or AAA batteries. Use with the
    supplied universal mains adapter (100~240V) anywhere in the world, or use
    with the supplied 12V car lead or use with the supplied USB lead for
    charging direct from your computer - the choice is yours ! "

    It is a standard 4 x AA battery side-by-side layout and it is nice and
    compact but with three ways to charge batteries it is ideal for people who
    are on the move.

    And the best bit is....It costs less than £7!

    Link included below if interested

    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=102043

    The batteries I was less than impressed with as they drained within a month
    and when I came to use them...nothing : (
    I will buy the enerloop (or similar) ones next time.

    John Ortt, May 9, 2007

  3. Daniel Prince

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    I think the Energizer 15 minute charger is the best.

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, May 10, 2007
  4. Daniel Prince

    Mark B. Guest

    > Of all the NiMh battery chargers that charge cells individually on
    > the market, in your opinion, which one is the best if money is no
    > object?
    >
    > Which one is the best value for the money?
    >
    > What is the lowest cost one that does an acceptable job?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for all replies.

    I like my LaCrosse charger. Not cheap, but definitely one of the better
    chargers out there. Batteries are charged individually, and you can vary
    the charge rate.

    Mark
    Mark B., May 10, 2007
  5. "Daniel Prince" <> wrote in message
    > Of all the NiMh battery chargers that charge cells individually on
    > the market, in your opinion, which one is the best if money is no
    > object?
    >
    > Which one is the best value for the money?
    >
    > What is the lowest cost one that does an acceptable job?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for all replies.

    I've been happy enough with the RayOVac model PS4 One Hour Charger. The
    battery cells do get hot while charging, but the battery cells also seem to
    recharge reliably over and over again.

    For slower charging, I've also used the XG Charge Pro model CHB-7NSS, but
    note that this charger does NOT charge individual battery cells, it only
    charges them in pairs (pair A, pair B).

    However, the other reason I mention the XG Charge Pro charger is that the
    one time I completely used up a set of XG 2400 mAh AA batteries (battery
    operated holiday lights left on overnight)... I put all four of them in the
    XG Charge Pro charger and they simply would not charge (i.e., the charger
    light remained yellow after 10 seconds which indicates there is a problem).

    But, when I put the same batteries in the RayOVac one hour charger, every
    battery cell lit up green which indicates charging in progress. All of the
    battery cells took a bit longer than an hour to charge because they were
    completely drained, but they were all fully recharged when all of the green
    lights went out.
    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., May 10, 2007
  6. Circuit and a photo of homade assemby built under a high shelf in
    utility room :

    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b3299c0984d3&sid=0QcsWTNs5asXTg

    120 V AC is fed directly to the cells charging in series, through a
    full wave rectifier bridge. Current is limited by the two, 1 mF
    capacitors that are switched in parallel or series by the DPDT switch,
    each half position indicated by the corresponding "P" and "S". The
    neon lamp is just to indicate current flow but also adds a bit more to
    the total charging current. The capacitors run "cold" since they are
    purely reactive. An equivalent resistor would cook along at about 10
    watts. The fuse in the hot leg is very important to prevent a fire
    hazard and should be as small and fast acting as possible. The cells
    must be in the series configuration. The capacitors must be the non
    polarized type and rated at least 200 volts. The ones available from
    Radio Shack are the metal film type. The 100 ohm resistor is to
    protect the switch contacts and capacitors from the potential surge
    when switching from the S to the P position. The rectifier bridge
    diodes must have a high peak inverse voltage rating. The ones
    available from Radio Shack are 1 Amp 400 PIV. The P position charging
    about 80 mA is for the first 24 hours or so, then switch to the S
    position for ongoing trickle charging at about 20 mA. Since
    essentially all the series voltage drop is across the capacitance and
    neon lamp with it's 33K ballast resistor, the charging current will be
    constant and essentially independent of the number of cells charging
    in series, even if the output is shorted. The fuse and the series
    battery holder are outside the photo, and power in is the line from
    the lower right while the line to the battery holder is at the upper
    left. The Neon ballast resistor is indicated as 22K in the circuit but
    33K is more typically correct and will depend on the lamp rating. TAKE
    CARE OF THE INHERENT SHOCK HAZARD OF THIS CIRCUIT ! THERE IS NO
    ISOLATION FROM FULL LINE VOLTAGE. WITH THE CELLS REMOVED, THE VOLTAGE
    AT THE HOLDER CONTACTS INSTANTLY BECOMES FULL 120 V RECTIFIED DC. KEEP
    OUT OF THE REACH OF KIDS AND PETS, AND AWAY FROM WATER. USE THIS
    CIRCUIT AT YOUR OWN RISK ! The circuit assumes 120 VAC 60 Hz and other
    supplies will require adjustments in the component ratings.

    Steve Giannoni, May 10, 2007
  7. Daniel Prince

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:02:49 -0700, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

    > I've been happy enough with the RayOVac model PS4 One Hour Charger.
    > The battery cells do get hot while charging, but the battery cells also seem
    > to recharge reliably over and over again.

    I agree, the PS4 is a good charger and is very well built. But
    are they still available? About two years ago they started
    disappearing from all of the stores that formerly sold them,
    appearing briefly at great discount in surplus stores. Also, they
    aren't really 'One Hour' chargers any more. Included with the
    chargers in the package was a pair of 1,600 mAh NiMH AA cells and
    these could be charged in one hour. With today's higher capacity
    NiMH cells the PS4 is more like a 'One and 2/3 Hour' charger. :)
    ASAAR, May 10, 2007
  8. Daniel Prince <> wrote:
    > Of all the NiMh battery chargers that charge cells individually on
    > the market, in your opinion, which one is the best if money is no
    > object?
    >
    > Which one is the best value for the money?
    >
    > What is the lowest cost one that does an acceptable job?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for all replies.

    What looks to be a good one is a Sony charger with 4 2700mAh AA and 2 900mAh
    AAA batteries. The charger is advertised as one that can refresh the
    batteries, thus removing the plateau effect and getting the maximum life from
    your batteries. I haven't tried the charger personally to say how well it
    works, but since that is not a new technology, I suspect it will work just
    fine. $24.95+tax.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 10, 2007
  9. Daniel Prince

    SMS Guest

    Daniel Prince wrote:
    > Of all the NiMh battery chargers that charge cells individually on
    > the market, in your opinion, which one is the best if money is no
    > object?
    >
    > Which one is the best value for the money?
    >
    > What is the lowest cost one that does an acceptable job?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for all replies.

    See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers

    The bottom line is that the Maha MH-C401FS is your best choice for
    several reasons, including the lifetime warranty, something not
    available with any other charger.

    Look for a charger that not only charges cells individually, but that
    has a selectable charge rate (lower rate charging lengthens battery
    life, but sometimes you want a high rate charge), and can be powered
    from AC or DC, without the use of a funky inverter.
    SMS, May 10, 2007
  10. Daniel Prince

    SMS Guest

    John Ortt wrote:
    > I bought a 3in1 charger from 7 day shop.
    >
    > "Offers 3 ways to charge your up your AA or AAA batteries. Use with the
    > supplied universal mains adapter (100~240V) anywhere in the world, or use
    > with the supplied 12V car lead or use with the supplied USB lead for
    > charging direct from your computer - the choice is yours ! "
    >
    > It is a standard 4 x AA battery side-by-side layout and it is nice and
    > compact but with three ways to charge batteries it is ideal for people who
    > are on the move.

    That's the Vanson V-3380, and it doesn't charge batteries individually.
    Avoid it at all costs.

    There used to be a Sanyo that was 3 in 1, but it had overheating
    problems and was recalled.
    SMS, May 10, 2007
  11. Daniel Prince

    Clark Martin Guest

    In article <4643a2d5$0$27254$>,
    SMS <> wrote:

    > Daniel Prince wrote:
    > > Of all the NiMh battery chargers that charge cells individually on
    > > the market, in your opinion, which one is the best if money is no
    > > object?
    > >
    > > Which one is the best value for the money?
    > >
    > > What is the lowest cost one that does an acceptable job?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for all replies.

    > See http://nordicgroup.us/chargers
    >
    > The bottom line is that the Maha MH-C401FS is your best choice for
    > several reasons, including the lifetime warranty, something not
    > available with any other charger.
    >
    > Look for a charger that not only charges cells individually, but that
    > has a selectable charge rate (lower rate charging lengthens battery
    > life, but sometimes you want a high rate charge), and can be powered
    > from AC or DC, without the use of a funky inverter.

    I have the Maha MH-C800S. It charges 8 AA or AAA cells individually.
    It will charge them in either 2 hours or 4 hours. They have another
    model that is the same but has 1 and 2 hour charge times. I opted for
    the longer times to lengthen the cell life. In looking around the Maha
    is the best charger.

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Martin, May 14, 2007