    What could be the cause and correction? Thanks

    --
    Bill W.

    Bill, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Bill

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:43:49 -0400, Bill wrote:

    > Trying to charge new batteries and after a couple of minutes they and the
    > charger jumped off the wall. Happened twice.
    > I would blame the new batteries but it happened with older ones too on one
    > occasion.
    > I'm pretty sure the polarity was as instructed.
    > What could be the cause and correction? Thanks

    I've had batteries pop out certain chargers, and it's the fault of
    charger (poor design), not the batteries. On the other hand, I've
    never had the charger jump off the wall. That could be eliminated
    by plugging the charger into a cheap, short extension cord. Unless
    you replace the charger, if yours is similar to the ones I've used
    that encouraged batteries to pop out, a small rubber or elastic band
    would keep the batteries secure. The polarity shouldn't have been a
    problem. Take a closer look at the charger. Unless it's fairly
    old, it will be designed such that if a battery is inserted
    backwards, the battery's base (negative terminal) will not make
    electrical contact with the charger's circuit. The battery won't
    get charged, but it's protected from being damaged. Even if the
    battery is inserted backwards and you don't notice it, one of the
    charging LEDs should fail to light. This reminder isn't always
    possible with cheap chargers, that use a single LED to display the
    state of multiple charging circuits.

    ASAAR, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Bill

    Guest

    I wouldn't say it jumped off the wall, I would maybe way it fell out of
    the outlet, if that's the case then either use an extention cord (and
    could then lay the charger down so the batteries couldn't fall-out
    either if that's a problem) or bend the plug-in some so it fits snug
    into the outlet.

    Having the polarity reversed would not make it jump off the wall
    (sorry, it doesn't have enough intelligence to do that) :) It could
    do nothing, or ruin the battery and/or charger, but I don't think you'd
    see any electrcial energy being converted to kinetic energy by it
    spontanously jumping off the wall...if it actually did then package
    that thing up and sell it on ebay as a possessed charger.. :)

    Good Luck..
    -Mark

    , Jun 23, 2005
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Thanks for the replies. Relocating the charger to a more secure wall outlet
    seems to have solved the problem.
    Bill

    Bill, Jun 24, 2005