Nikon's "Quality Control"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Turco, May 4, 2013.

  1. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    In late May of 2012, via eBay, I ordered a Nikon-refurbished "Coolpix
    P500" (36x "super zoom" digicam). It arrived in early June of that
    year, but...due to an unrelated problem, I didn't actually shoot with
    the camera, till April 2013.

    Anyway, I eventually discovered my particular specimen's "side zoom
    control" is completely dead. I recently contacted Nikon about it,
    using the company's Web site; the e-mail reply was negative, as expected.

    Naturally, it's my own fault for waiting until the warranty expired.
    The item in question isn't absolutely necessary, either (i.e., there's
    a regular zoom switch, around the shutter button).

    None of this excuses Nikon's poor quality control, however -- after
    all, the firm >itself< refurbished my device! As far as I'm concerned,
    it makes the current "D600" debacle easily understandable.

    Nikon's QC is quite crummy, indeed, apparently.

    John

    John Turco, May 4, 2013

  2. John Turco

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/3/2013 7:41 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > In late May of 2012, via eBay, I ordered a Nikon-refurbished "Coolpix
    > P500" (36x "super zoom" digicam). It arrived in early June of that
    > year, but...due to an unrelated problem, I didn't actually shoot with
    > the camera, till April 2013.
    >
    > Anyway, I eventually discovered my particular specimen's "side zoom
    > control" is completely dead. I recently contacted Nikon about it,
    > using the company's Web site; the e-mail reply was negative, as expected.
    >
    > Naturally, it's my own fault for waiting until the warranty expired.
    > The item in question isn't absolutely necessary, either (i.e., there's
    > a regular zoom switch, around the shutter button).
    >
    > None of this excuses Nikon's poor quality control, however -- after
    > all, the firm >itself< refurbished my device! As far as I'm concerned,
    > it makes the current "D600" debacle easily understandable.
    >
    > Nikon's QC is quite crummy, indeed, apparently.
    >
    > John

    Are you sure it was refurbished by Nikon? Was your purchase from a
    reliable dealer.
    Of course it shouldn't have happened, but we all have erasers on our
    pencils.
    I have an ongoing issue with Lenovo. They shipped the wrong computer. I
    didn't realize it until I was traveling. they offered a reduction in
    price. I did not want a price reduction, I wanted the features I
    ordered. However, they would not ship the replacement to me since I was
    staying at a hotel. By the time I got home, the 30 day replacement
    period had expired. Eventually, if a person with common sense doesn't
    get back to me, I will simply stop payment on the card I purchased it with.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 4, 2013

  3. John Turco

    Guest Guest

    On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:01:33 -0400 PeterN wrote:-

    >Eventually, if a person with common sense doesn't
    >get back to me, I will simply stop payment on the card I purchased it
    >with.

    May already be too late?

    Guest, May 4, 2013
  4. John Turco

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/3/2013 11:34 PM, wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:01:33 -0400 PeterN wrote:-
    >
    >> Eventually, if a person with common sense doesn't
    >> get back to me, I will simply stop payment on the card I purchased it
    >> with.

    > May already be too late?

    No!

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 4, 2013
  5. John Turco

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 04 May 2013 10:34:45 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : On 5/3/2013 11:34 PM, wrote:
    : > On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:01:33 -0400 PeterN wrote:-
    : >
    : >> Eventually, if a person with common sense doesn't get back
    : >> to me, I will simply stop payment on the card I purchased it
    : >> with.
    : >
    : > May already be too late?
    : >
    :
    : No!

    Peter's a retired lawyer. He's not likely to make a rookie mistake in such a
    matter. ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 5, 2013
  6. John Turco

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/4/2013 8:43 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 May 2013 10:34:45 -0400, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 5/3/2013 11:34 PM, wrote:
    > : > On Fri, 03 May 2013 23:01:33 -0400 PeterN wrote:-
    > : >
    > : >> Eventually, if a person with common sense doesn't get back
    > : >> to me, I will simply stop payment on the card I purchased it
    > : >> with.
    > : >
    > : > May already be too late?
    > : >
    > :
    > : No!
    >
    > Peter's a retired lawyer. He's not likely to make a rookie mistake in such a
    > matter. ;^)
    >
    > Bob

    Simply a matter of how much time and effort I wish to spend. I operate
    on the more flies with honey than vinegar theory. The machine in
    question is not a matter of life and death for me, but Lenovo's
    reputation is, for them. It's simply a mater of finding the right
    person, by breaking through thw wall of bureaucracy, that hides behind
    "policy."

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 5, 2013
  7. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    On 5/3/2013 10:01 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 5/3/2013 7:41 PM, John Turco wrote:
    >> In late May of 2012, via eBay, I ordered a Nikon-refurbished "Coolpix
    >> P500" (36x "super zoom" digicam). It arrived in early June of that
    >> year, but...due to an unrelated problem, I didn't actually shoot with
    >> the camera, till April 2013.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I eventually discovered my particular specimen's "side zoom
    >> control" is completely dead. I recently contacted Nikon about it,
    >> using the company's Web site; the e-mail reply was negative, as expected.
    >>
    >> Naturally, it's my own fault for waiting until the warranty expired.
    >> The item in question isn't absolutely necessary, either (i.e., there's
    >> a regular zoom switch, around the shutter button).
    >>
    >> None of this excuses Nikon's poor quality control, however -- after
    >> all, the firm >itself< refurbished my device! As far as I'm concerned,
    >> it makes the current "D600" debacle easily understandable.
    >>
    >> Nikon's QC is quite crummy, indeed, apparently.
    >>
    >> John

    > Are you sure it was refurbished by Nikon? Was your purchase from a
    > reliable dealer.
    > Of course it shouldn't have happened, but we all have erasers on our
    > pencils.
    > I have an ongoing issue with Lenovo. They shipped the wrong computer. I
    > didn't realize it until I was traveling. they offered a reduction in
    > price. I did not want a price reduction, I wanted the features I
    > ordered. However, they would not ship the replacement to me since I was
    > staying at a hotel. By the time I got home, the 30 day replacement
    > period had expired. Eventually, if a person with common sense doesn't
    > get back to me, I will simply stop payment on the card I purchased it with.

    The eBay seller was "robertscamera" ("Roberts Camera" of Indianapolis,
    Indiana), and described my P500 thusly:

    "This is a Nikon USA Refurbished Camera"

    Roberts Camera has been in business since 1957, so, it predates eBay
    (and the Internet) by a decent margin.

    John

    John Turco, May 5, 2013
  8. John Turco

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 04 May 2013 21:05:53 -0500, John Turco <> wrote:
    : The eBay seller was "robertscamera" ("Roberts Camera" of Indianapolis,
    : Indiana), and described my P500 thusly:
    :
    : "This is a Nikon USA Refurbished Camera"
    :
    : Roberts Camera has been in business since 1957, so, it predates eBay
    : (and the Internet) by a decent margin.

    I doubt that that makes a particle of difference. The number of U.S. companies
    under the same ownership now as in 1957 is infinitessimal.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 5, 2013
  9. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    On 5/5/2013 7:19 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 May 2013 21:05:53 -0500, John Turco <> wrote:
    > : The eBay seller was "robertscamera" ("Roberts Camera" of Indianapolis,
    > : Indiana), and described my P500 thusly:
    > :
    > : "This is a Nikon USA Refurbished Camera"
    > :
    > : Roberts Camera has been in business since 1957, so, it predates eBay
    > : (and the Internet) by a decent margin.
    >
    > I doubt that that makes a particle of difference. The number of U.S. companies
    > under the same ownership now as in 1957 is infinitessimal.
    >
    > Bob

    How does that concern the issue of Nikon's negligence?

    John

    John Turco, May 6, 2013
  10. John Turco

    RichA Guest

    On May 3, 7:41 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    > In late May of 2012, via eBay, I ordered a Nikon-refurbished "Coolpix
    > P500" (36x "super zoom" digicam). It arrived in early June of that
    > year, but...due to an unrelated problem, I didn't actually shoot with
    > the camera, till April 2013.
    >
    > Anyway, I eventually discovered my particular specimen's "side zoom
    > control" is completely dead. I recently contacted Nikon about it,
    > using the company's Web site; the e-mail reply was negative, as expected.
    >
    > Naturally, it's my own fault for waiting until the warranty expired.
    > The item in question isn't absolutely necessary, either (i.e., there's
    > a regular zoom switch, around the shutter button).
    >
    > None of this excuses Nikon's poor quality control, however -- after
    > all, the firm >itself< refurbished my device! As far as I'm concerned,
    > it makes the current "D600" debacle easily understandable.
    >
    > Nikon's QC is quite crummy, indeed, apparently.
    >
    > John

    Lately, yes, way too many problems. Design flaws and QC.

    RichA, May 6, 2013
  11. John Turco

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/5/2013 9:57 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > On 5/5/2013 7:19 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Sat, 04 May 2013 21:05:53 -0500, John Turco <>
    >> wrote:
    >> : The eBay seller was "robertscamera" ("Roberts Camera" of Indianapolis,
    >> : Indiana), and described my P500 thusly:
    >> :
    >> : "This is a Nikon USA Refurbished Camera"
    >> :
    >> : Roberts Camera has been in business since 1957, so, it predates eBay
    >> : (and the Internet) by a decent margin.
    >>
    >> I doubt that that makes a particle of difference. The number of U.S.
    >> companies
    >> under the same ownership now as in 1957 is infinitessimal.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > How does that concern the issue of Nikon's negligence?

    My original point was that it may, or may not have really been
    reconditioned by Nikon. You have very little practical way of finding out.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 7, 2013
  12. John Turco

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/5/2013 11:41 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On May 3, 7:41 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    >> In late May of 2012, via eBay, I ordered a Nikon-refurbished "Coolpix
    >> P500" (36x "super zoom" digicam). It arrived in early June of that
    >> year, but...due to an unrelated problem, I didn't actually shoot with
    >> the camera, till April 2013.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I eventually discovered my particular specimen's "side zoom
    >> control" is completely dead. I recently contacted Nikon about it,
    >> using the company's Web site; the e-mail reply was negative, as expected.
    >>
    >> Naturally, it's my own fault for waiting until the warranty expired.
    >> The item in question isn't absolutely necessary, either (i.e., there's
    >> a regular zoom switch, around the shutter button).
    >>
    >> None of this excuses Nikon's poor quality control, however -- after
    >> all, the firm >itself< refurbished my device! As far as I'm concerned,
    >> it makes the current "D600" debacle easily understandable.
    >>
    >> Nikon's QC is quite crummy, indeed, apparently.
    >>
    >> John

    > Lately, yes, way too many problems. Design flaws and QC.

    Design flaws in reconditioning?

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 7, 2013
  13. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    On 5/6/2013 6:25 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 5/5/2013 9:57 PM, John Turco wrote:
    >> On 5/5/2013 7:19 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 04 May 2013 21:05:53 -0500, John Turco <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> : The eBay seller was "robertscamera" ("Roberts Camera" of Indianapolis,
    >>> : Indiana), and described my P500 thusly:
    >>> :
    >>> : "This is a Nikon USA Refurbished Camera"
    >>> :
    >>> : Roberts Camera has been in business since 1957, so, it predates eBay
    >>> : (and the Internet) by a decent margin.
    >>>
    >>> I doubt that that makes a particle of difference. The number of U.S.
    >>> companies under the same ownership now as in 1957 is infinitessimal.
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> How does that concern the issue of Nikon's negligence?
    >>

    > My original point was that it may, or may not have really been
    > reconditioned by Nikon. You have very little practical way of finding
    > out.

    In any case, Indy is Tony Cooper's hometown; I wonder whether he's
    ever heard of Roberts Camera?

    John

    John Turco, May 7, 2013
  14. John Turco

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/6/2013 10:09 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > On 5/6/2013 6:25 PM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> How does that concern the issue of Nikon's negligence?
    >>>

    >> My original point was that it may, or may not have really been
    >> reconditioned by Nikon. You have very little practical way of finding
    >> out.

    > In any case, Indy is Tony Cooper's hometown; I wonder whether he's
    > ever heard of Roberts Camera?

    You might also want to check with Nikon support as to whether Roberts is
    an authorized distributor for Nikon reconditioned cameras. I would have
    checked prior to the purchase.
    Several years ago I wanted the 80-400mm lens, despite its known
    drawbacks. A local store Koh's Camera, had one for sale. It came in a
    Nikon box which had the original Nikon warranty forms. the price was
    several hundred dollars below street. When I asked him, why, he told me
    it was used, and if I wasn't satisfied I could return it within thirty
    days for a full refund. I had no issues with that lens, and have been
    deal with that honorable man as much as I can. Unfortunately, he is not
    an authorized Nikon professional dealer. But, I would have no hesitation
    about purchasing any used equipment he had, that I wanted. All those wh
    deal with him, have had good experiences. Sadly, not all dealers are
    like Jimmy Koh.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, May 8, 2013
  15. John Turco

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 06 May 2013 21:09:50 -0500, John Turco <>
    wrote:

    >On 5/6/2013 6:25 PM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> How does that concern the issue of Nikon's negligence?
    >>>

    >> My original point was that it may, or may not have really been
    >> reconditioned by Nikon. You have very little practical way of finding
    >> out.

    >In any case, Indy is Tony Cooper's hometown; I wonder whether he's
    >ever heard of Roberts Camera?

    No, I haven't, but I left Naptown for college (Indiana University
    undergrad, then Northwestern) in 1956 and didn't return until 1966,
    and then only stayed there for two years before moving back to
    Chicago. I purchased my first 35mm film camera in Chicago when I was
    at Northwestern. Never bought any camera gear in Indianapolis.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, May 8, 2013
  16. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    On 5/7/2013 6:53 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 5/6/2013 10:09 PM, John Turco wrote:

    >>> My original point was that it may, or may not have really been
    >>> reconditioned by Nikon. You have very little practical way of finding
    >>> out.

    >> In any case, Indy is Tony Cooper's hometown; I wonder whether he's
    >> ever heard of Roberts Camera?
    >>

    > You might also want to check with Nikon support as to whether Roberts is
    > an authorized distributor for Nikon reconditioned cameras. I would have
    > checked prior to the purchase.
    > Several years ago I wanted the 80-400mm lens, despite its known
    > drawbacks. A local store Koh's Camera, had one for sale. It came in a
    > Nikon box which had the original Nikon warranty forms. the price was
    > several hundred dollars below street. When I asked him, why, he told me
    > it was used, and if I wasn't satisfied I could return it within thirty
    > days for a full refund. I had no issues with that lens, and have been
    > deal with that honorable man as much as I can. Unfortunately, he is not
    > an authorized Nikon professional dealer. But, I would have no hesitation
    > about purchasing any used equipment he had, that I wanted. All those wh
    > deal with him, have had good experiences. Sadly, not all dealers are
    > like Jimmy Koh.

    Roberts Camera <http://robertscamera.com> seems to be similarly good.

    Roberts Camera - Our Story <http://robertscamera.com/about>

    "On August 21, 1957, Robert and Rose Pallman opened their store
    in downtown Indianapolis. They had no money, but a lot of spirit,
    and they poured their heart and soul into this small family
    owned business. More than 50 years–and a few tweaks later–we
    are still going strong."

    <edited>

    "In 1968 things took an interesting turn, Robert bought a little
    section of catalog to see if he could sell cameras. The store had
    one employee who was taking a photography class in high school and
    he said 'I think I can sell those.' It was a Minolta camera, and
    they started selling!"

    <edited>

    "Roberts continues to be family owned and operated. We have two
    retail stores in the Indianapolis area; our Downtown Indianapolis
    location where we have been since 1970, and our newer Carmel
    store. We hope you get a chance to stop in sometime to see us!"

    <edited>

    John

    John Turco, May 8, 2013
  17. John Turco

    John Turco Guest

    On 5/7/2013 9:08 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 May 2013 21:09:50 -0500, John Turco <>
    > wrote:

    >>> My original point was that it may, or may not have really been
    >>> reconditioned by Nikon. You have very little practical way of finding
    >>> out.

    >> In any case, Indy is Tony Cooper's hometown; I wonder whether he's
    >> ever heard of Roberts Camera?

    > No, I haven't, but I left Naptown for college (Indiana University
    > undergrad, then Northwestern) in 1956 and didn't return until 1966,
    > and then only stayed there for two years before moving back to
    > Chicago. I purchased my first 35mm film camera in Chicago when I was
    > at Northwestern. Never bought any camera gear in Indianapolis.

    Thanks, for the information.

    John

    John Turco, May 8, 2013
  18. John Turco

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 06 May 2013 21:25:58 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    wrote:
    : On Sun, 5 May 2013 20:41:04 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >On May 3, 7:41 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    : >> In late May of 2012, via eBay, I ordered a Nikon-refurbished "Coolpix
    : >> P500" (36x "super zoom" digicam). It arrived in early June of that
    : >> year, but...due to an unrelated problem, I didn't actually shoot with
    : >> the camera, till April 2013.
    : >>
[...]
    : Not QC but QA - Quality Assurance.
    :
    : QC is the inspector at the door who is supposed to catch errors and
    : faults.
    :
    : QA is the staff member who does not allow errors and faults to be
    : built into the product in the first place.

    I'd think that, by your definitions, it's a QC problem if a bad camera goes
    out, whether there was an underlying QA problem or not.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 12, 2013
  19. John Turco

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 12 May 2013 14:38:17 +1200, Eric Stevens <>
    wrote:
    :
    : >: wrote:
    : >:
    : >: >On May 3, 7:41 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    : >: >> In late May of 2012, via eBay, I ordered a Nikon-refurbished "Coolpix
    : >: >> P500" (36x "super zoom" digicam). It arrived in early June of that
    : >: >> year, but...due to an unrelated problem, I didn't actually shoot with
    : >: >> the camera, till April 2013.
    : >: >>
[...]
    : >: >
    : >:
    : >: QA is the staff member who does not allow errors and faults to be
    : >: built into the product in the first place.
    : >
    : >I'd think that, by your definitions, it's a QC problem if a bad camera
    : >goes out, whether there was an underlying QA problem or not.
    : >
    : Only if they have a specific QC function in place.

    Failure to have a QC function is itself a QC problem, is it not? Your
    definition of QA isn't broad enough to include it.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 12, 2013