Nikon's new 85mm is 6x the cost of the Samyang

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Sep 2, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Sep 2, 2010

  2. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Sep 2, 2010

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Nikon's new 85mm is 6x the cost of the Samyang

    On Sep 2, 7:49 am, "Peter" <> wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > > Unreal.  It almost doubled the cost of the old one.  And no VR.

    > >http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/251746/nikon-afs-85mm-f14-g-t...

    > Yawn!
    > So don't buy one. You are not it's target purchaser. Indeed if it was 1/2
    > the price you would find something wrong.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    No, I thought the old lens at $900 was fine. Nikon is doing what it
    has been doing for the last three years, soaking pre-existing body
    owners because they can't get new customers fast enough.

    RichA, Sep 2, 2010
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Sep 2, 7:49 am, "Peter" <> wrote:
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message

    >> > Unreal.  It almost doubled the cost of the old one.  And no VR.

    >> >http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/251746/nikon-afs-85mm-f14-g-t...

    >> Yawn!
    >> So don't buy one. You are not it's target purchaser. Indeed if it was 1/2
    >> the price you would find something wrong.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    >No, I thought the old lens at $900 was fine. Nikon is doing what it
    >has been doing for the last three years, soaking pre-existing body
    >owners because they can't get new customers fast enough.

    There was a lot of demand from portrait shooters for an update. The D
    model was not so old, but it was designed for film and would benefit
    from a more telecentric design and better coatings for digital.

    Some users also wanted AF-S focusing because the D model has slow and
    noisy autofocus which tends to hunt a little at typical shooting
    distances. This leads to inaccuracy that you just don't need when
    shooting at f/1.4 with very little depth of field. AF-S would also
    offer an instant change from auto to manual focus when the AF gets it
    wrong.

    So there was a good business case for an update.

    The only problem was, Samyang came along with a design that addressed
    all the optical weaknesses of the Nikkor and offered superior coating
    and extremely good build quality, all at a fraction of the price. If
    you can tolerate manual focus the Samyang is currently the one to buy.

    It will be interesting to see a comparison between the Samyang and the
    new Nikkor. I believe it will be a close-run thing.

    Bruce, Sep 2, 2010
  5. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Robert Coe, Sep 3, 2010