    the d70. are nikon trying to tell to buy their flash gun. admitedly
    the sunpak is about15yrs old but its always done everything i need.
    thanx
    chezruss, Dec 11, 2007

  2. chezruss

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    chezruss <> wrote:

    > hi ive a nikon d70 that i d like to use my sunpak 622 pro flashgun.
    > flashis fine with my 35mm camers on auto. but it wont work at all with
    > the d70. are nikon trying to tell to buy their flash gun. admitedly
    > the sunpak is about15yrs old but its always done everything i need.
    > thanx

    it will work, but only in the old-style auto mode where the sensor on
    the flash handles the exposure. there is no ttl, and if you use a
    nikon module with the flash, the camera will not trigger it. either
    use the std-1 module or a pc cord and an as-15 adapter (i don't think
    the d70 has a pc socket).
    nospam, Dec 12, 2007

  3. chezruss

    chezruss Guest

    hey nice one , thanks alot for the explanation. at least ive got the
    flash firing. now ive got to work out how to get a good exposure/
    lucky i had the standard adaptor/ so maybe theres still life left in
    the old dog Sunpak yet/ thanks again
    chezruss, Dec 12, 2007
  4. chezruss

    tomm42 Guest

    On Dec 11, 1:57 pm, chezruss <> wrote:
    > hi ive a nikon d70 that i d like to use my sunpak 622 pro flashgun.
    > flashis fine with my 35mm camers on auto. but it wont work at all with
    > the d70. are nikon trying to tell to buy their flash gun. admitedly
    > the sunpak is about15yrs old but its always done everything i need.
    > thanx

    Check on the voltage on the PC cord, not sure what the requirements of
    the D70 are. Some early DSLRs could be fried by synch cord volatage
    from some older flash guns. Get a Wein safe synch if you have any
    doubts. I'm using a 25 year old Metz 45 CT1 on my D200, haven't had
    any problems. Still like working with a thyristor flash the Metz has
    always been extremely accurate. If your flash has a thyristor mode it
    may be the way to use it since Nikon has completely changed their auto
    flash system.

    Tom
    tomm42, Dec 12, 2007
  5. chezruss

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    tomm42 <> wrote:

    > Check on the voltage on the PC cord, not sure what the requirements of
    > the D70 are. Some early DSLRs could be fried by synch cord volatage
    > from some older flash guns. Get a Wein safe synch if you have any
    > doubts. I'm using a 25 year old Metz 45 CT1 on my D200, haven't had
    > any problems. Still like working with a thyristor flash the Metz has
    > always been extremely accurate. If your flash has a thyristor mode it
    > may be the way to use it since Nikon has completely changed their auto
    > flash system.

    that's an important point, however, the sunpak 622 does not have a very
    high trigger voltage (6-8v) and works well when directly connected to
    the camera. other flashes, including some other sunpak units, might be
    a problem. nikon's official limit is 250v, but i'd want to use a wein
    regardless of the camera's limits if the trigger voltage was more than
    roughly 8-10v.

    for a list of trigger voltages, see:
    <http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>
    nospam, Dec 12, 2007