    recognize the D70 - it indicated that no camera was attached. But, I
    fired up Nikon View and successfully downloaded the card directly from
    the camera. ??
    Traveler82, Nov 10, 2004

  2. There may be two different things involved here.

    Your installation of software on the Mac may have been done incorrectly.
    Check out the NIKON support site. It is well put together and so far the
    information there has solved every one of my problems.

    Many PC's deal with Digital Cameras as a USB storage device which is really
    bad performance anyhow. Windows XP Home and Pro as Well as Macintosh can
    deal with USB storage as well, but they can also deal with something new,
    PTP, Picture Transfer Protocol.

    You seem to bee switching your camera back and forth between Mac and PC and
    using Nikon View and Capture. It is quite possible that you have changed the
    camera state from USB storage to PTP or vice versa and now when you plug it
    in to your other computer, it's confused. Read your manual and see how to
    set the camera to either PTP or USB and then how to make one or the other
    work with your PC or Mac.

    Windows 2000 and below do not speak PTP.

    I hope the links below can help you figure it out.

    http://ptp.sourceforge.net/

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stillimage/XP_WIAdrvs.mspx

    http://www.nikon-euro.com/nikoneuro_en/hit/general/en/HIT_gen_en_11.htm

    Richard Tomkins, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Traveler82 wrote:

    > I've just tried for the first time to download a Lexar 512 card from a
    > D70 using Nikon View (Mac version) but all I get is a message saying
    > that there is no card in the camera. But the card is loaded correctly
    > and "PC" shows on the LCD screen when the USB cable is connected. I
    > successfully downloaded this card previously to a PC using Nikon View.
    > I know that the files can be moved from the PC to the Mac via an
    > external hard drive but still need to know how to download directly to
    > the Mac. Any suggestions?
    >
    > And as an aside, I suppose, about downling the card to the Windows
    > machine a few months ago, I first tried Nikon Capture but it would not
    > recognize the D70 - it indicated that no camera was attached. But, I
    > fired up Nikon View and successfully downloaded the card directly from
    > the camera. ??

    This may sound dumb, but do you have the cable fully engaged on the
    camera connector? I don't know about the D70 but the cable for my
    4300 looks like it is fully on but the covering for the USB connector
    can get in the way if pushed the wrong direction and the cable won't
    be completely engaged.
    George E. Cawthon, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Traveler82

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 9 Nov 2004 18:30:24 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    (Traveler82) wrote:

    >I've just tried for the first time to download a Lexar 512 card from a
    >D70 using Nikon View (Mac version) but all I get is a message saying
    >that there is no card in the camera. But the card is loaded correctly
    >and "PC" shows on the LCD screen when the USB cable is connected. I
    >successfully downloaded this card previously to a PC using Nikon View.
    > I know that the files can be moved from the PC to the Mac via an
    >external hard drive but still need to know how to download directly to
    >the Mac. Any suggestions?
    >
    >And as an aside, I suppose, about downling the card to the Windows
    >machine a few months ago, I first tried Nikon Capture but it would not
    >recognize the D70 - it indicated that no camera was attached. But, I
    >fired up Nikon View and successfully downloaded the card directly from
    >the camera. ??

    My D70 manual only talks about Picture Project not Nikonview, but for PP
    the appropriate camera settings are:

    Win XP Home/Pro and Mac OSX: PTP or Mass Storage

    Win2K, ME 98SE: Mass Storage

    Mac OS9 Not Supported

    What Mac OS are you using?
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()