    Conclusions page:

    <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonv1j1/page19.asp>

    Aficionados may want to look at other parts of the review too.
    Bruce, Jan 20, 2012

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Bruce <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have nothing to add to this, except that I will point out the very
    >> low overall scores (V1 69%; J1 67%) while linking only to the
    >> Conclusions page:
    >>
    >> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonv1j1/page19.asp>
    >>
    >> Aficionados may want to look at other parts of the review too.
    >>

    >I'd just like to add that all those pretending the Nikon high ISO
    >performance was as good as the m4/3's were deluded fanboys.

    Absolutely. I feel sure there will be at least one Nikon fanboy along
    in a minute to tell us about the marvellous video performance.

    Here in Europe, Nikon's advertising of the 1 System has been nowhere
    near as extensive (or expensive) in the USA. The cameras and lenses
    are proving very difficult to sell. The result is that major
    retailers are offering discounts of up to 25%, which is unprecedented
    for a new model.

    The discounting started with the coloured versions, which are
    particularly slow sellers, but has now extended across the range.
    Bruce, Jan 21, 2012

  3. On 01/21/2012 03:18 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > Rich<> wrote:
    >> Bruce<> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have nothing to add to this, except that I will point out the very
    >>> low overall scores (V1 69%; J1 67%) while linking only to the
    >>> Conclusions page:
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonv1j1/page19.asp>
    >>>
    >>> Aficionados may want to look at other parts of the review too.
    >>>

    >> I'd just like to add that all those pretending the Nikon high ISO
    >> performance was as good as the m4/3's were deluded fanboys.

    > Absolutely. I feel sure there will be at least one Nikon fanboy along
    > in a minute to tell us about the marvellous video performance.
    >
    > Here in Europe, Nikon's advertising of the 1 System has been nowhere
    > near as extensive (or expensive) in the USA. The cameras and lenses
    > are proving very difficult to sell. The result is that major
    > retailers are offering discounts of up to 25%, which is unprecedented
    > for a new model.
    >
    > The discounting started with the coloured versions, which are
    > particularly slow sellers, but has now extended across the range.

    Indeed, even with Nikon's brand name these cameras are not worth what
    they are selling for. If the J1 with the flash and kit lens sold for
    what the Lumix G3 kit cost I might have been interested in it.
    Kenneth Scharf, Jan 22, 2012
  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Kenneth Scharf <> wrote:
    >On 01/21/2012 03:18 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >> Here in Europe, Nikon's advertising of the 1 System has been nowhere
    >> near as extensive (or expensive) in the USA. The cameras and lenses
    >> are proving very difficult to sell. The result is that major
    >> retailers are offering discounts of up to 25%, which is unprecedented
    >> for a new model.
    >>
    >> The discounting started with the coloured versions, which are
    >> particularly slow sellers, but has now extended across the range.

    >Indeed, even with Nikon's brand name these cameras are not worth what
    >they are selling for. If the J1 with the flash and kit lens sold for
    >what the Lumix G3 kit cost I might have been interested in it.

    I suppose Nikon needs to pay for all that expensive advertising. ;-)
    Bruce, Jan 22, 2012
  5. Bowser <> writes:

    > On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:58:33 +0000, Bruce <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have nothing to add to this, except that I will point out the very
    >>low overall scores (V1 69%; J1 67%) while linking only to the
    >>Conclusions page:
    >>
    >><http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonv1j1/page19.asp>
    >>
    >>Aficionados may want to look at other parts of the review too.

    > I think these cameras reflect Nikon's desire to do two things:
    >
    > 1. Enter the mirrorless market
    > 2. Protect their DSLR line.
    >
    > The camreas aren't bad, but they shouldn't worry about their DSLR
    > line. If they don't cannabalize it, someone else will. What they, and
    > Canon should worry about is getting on a trend that will not die, and
    > will only speed up, eventually crushing their DSLR sales.

    Yes, this is the way big companies die. They refuse to cannabalize
    their existing product lines, so somebody else does it for them.

    (Kodak actually tried harder than many to get it right, and still died
    of it. DEC fought being sensible to the end, and went from
    second-largest computer company on the planet to being sold off in, oh,
    say 4 years.)

    > Can't believe neither of these companies has a serious EVIL line yet.
    > The Nikons are OK, but why such a small sensor in such a large package
    > at such a high price?

    The results are what count. It's the first one that does
    responsiveness -- which is what most people want from their camera (for
    children and pets).
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 23, 2012
  6. "Bowser" <> wrote in message
    []
    > True, it's responsive and not a bad camera, but clearly a compromise
    > when Nikon should have either introduced an APS-C EVIL with the same
    > speed. They have missed an opportunity to shift their low end SLR
    > sales to their own mirrorless cams instead of m4/3 or someone else's
    > APS-C line. I think the 1-series cams are a mistake. Just my own
    > guess, so we'll see.

    Have to agree, there! A missed opportunity indeed.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 24, 2012
  7. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    >"Bowser" <> wrote in message
    >[]
    >> True, it's responsive and not a bad camera, but clearly a compromise
    >> when Nikon should have either introduced an APS-C EVIL with the same
    >> speed. They have missed an opportunity to shift their low end SLR
    >> sales to their own mirrorless cams instead of m4/3 or someone else's
    >> APS-C line. I think the 1-series cams are a mistake. Just my own
    >> guess, so we'll see.

    >Have to agree, there! A missed opportunity indeed.

    I think the only people who would argue with this point of view (which
    I obviously share) are the people who are buying into the 1 System.

    It's notable that the market penetration of the 1 System in the USA is
    significantly higher than in Europe. I think that is because Nikon
    USA has spent a lot of money on a very extensive advertising campaign,
    whereas Nikon Europe has spent much less.

    Meanwhile, discounts on Nikon J1 camera bodies and kits have increased
    in Europe. Last week, 25% was the best that could be found. This
    week it is 30%. Apparently the 1 System is proving difficult to sell
    to European buyers.
    Bruce, Jan 24, 2012
  8. Bowser <> writes:

    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:56:39 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bowser <> writes:
    >>

    >>> I think these cameras reflect Nikon's desire to do two things:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Enter the mirrorless market
    >>> 2. Protect their DSLR line.
    >>>
    >>> The camreas aren't bad, but they shouldn't worry about their DSLR
    >>> line. If they don't cannabalize it, someone else will. What they, and
    >>> Canon should worry about is getting on a trend that will not die, and
    >>> will only speed up, eventually crushing their DSLR sales.

    >>Yes, this is the way big companies die. They refuse to cannabalize
    >>their existing product lines, so somebody else does it for them.

    > Except Apple, who won't hesitate to cannibalize their own product
    > lines. But, as they've successfully shown, all you do is create new
    > product lines. The old ones never go away, just shrink a little. In
    > the case of Canon and Nikon their existing lines will fade and they'll
    > have nothing to replace them because they're too busy trying to
    > protect them. Really, really stupid.

    Yeah, the Mac vs the old machines, and arguably the iPad vs. the Mac,
    are both cases of cannabalizing their own markets.

    >>(Kodak actually tried harder than many to get it right, and still died
    >>of it. DEC fought being sensible to the end, and went from
    >>second-largest computer company on the planet to being sold off in, oh,
    >>say 4 years.)
    >>
    >>> Can't believe neither of these companies has a serious EVIL line yet.
    >>> The Nikons are OK, but why such a small sensor in such a large package
    >>> at such a high price?

    >>The results are what count. It's the first one that does
    >>responsiveness -- which is what most people want from their camera (for
    >>children and pets).

    > True, it's responsive and not a bad camera, but clearly a compromise
    > when Nikon should have either introduced an APS-C EVIL with the same
    > speed. They have missed an opportunity to shift their low end SLR
    > sales to their own mirrorless cams instead of m4/3 or someone else's
    > APS-C line. I think the 1-series cams are a mistake. Just my own
    > guess, so we'll see.

    I dunno, they may well shift the low-end users to the Nikon 1. The
    low-end users aren't mostly photographers, they're people who want
    better snapshots than they can get with a P&S, and the Nikon 1 may be
    perfect for them.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 24, 2012