Nikon to release a decent compact camera...but with a FIXED lens!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 19, 2013.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Feb 19, 2013

  2. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    Irwell, Feb 20, 2013

  3. RichA

    Mort Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
    > DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
    > step up from camera phones.
    >
    > http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/n...ensor-28mm-f2-8-lens-expeed-2-processor.aspx/

    Hi,

    This brings back old memories. I have a Nikon 35 Ti film camera, with a
    fixed 35mm f 2.8 lens that was exceedingly sharp. The camera was built
    like an elegant army tank, and had retro needle pointer dials. The
    pictures that I took with it were quite sharp and free of visible
    aberrations. I used it as a pocket camera, when I could not bring my 14
    pounds of Nikon F equipment along. Its only problem was its high price.

    Mort Linder

    Mort, Feb 20, 2013
  4. RichA

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <5124ec04$0$24746$>, Mort <> wrote:
    >RichA wrote:
    >> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
    >> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
    >> step up from camera phones.
    >>

    >http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/n...ensor-28mm-f2-8-lens-expeed-2-processor.aspx/
    >>

    >Hi,
    >
    >This brings back old memories. I have a Nikon 35 Ti film camera, with a
    >fixed 35mm f 2.8 lens that was exceedingly sharp. The camera was built
    >like an elegant army tank, and had retro needle pointer dials. The
    >pictures that I took with it were quite sharp and free of visible
    >aberrations. I used it as a pocket camera, when I could not bring my 14
    >pounds of Nikon F equipment along. Its only problem was its high price.

    Got one too, as well as the competitor from Minolta (TC). Unfortunately,
    film-based photography was already on the way out by that time.

    Mike S., Feb 20, 2013
  5. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    On 2/19/2013 3:55 PM, RichA wrote:
    > What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
    > DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
    > step up from camera phones.
    >
    > http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/n...ensor-28mm-f2-8-lens-expeed-2-processor.aspx/

    I'd agree with you, had you written "fixed focus" (i.e., a box
    camera). On the other hand, a "fixed lens" compact can be a very
    capable device, whether film or digital.

    John

    John Turco, Feb 20, 2013
  6. RichA

    Rob Guest

    On 21/02/2013 02:30, Mort wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    >> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
    >> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
    >> step up from camera phones.
    >>
    >> http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/n...ensor-28mm-f2-8-lens-expeed-2-processor.aspx/
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > This brings back old memories. I have a Nikon 35 Ti film camera, with a
    > fixed 35mm f 2.8 lens that was exceedingly sharp. The camera was built
    > like an elegant army tank, and had retro needle pointer dials. The
    > pictures that I took with it were quite sharp and free of visible
    > aberrations. I used it as a pocket camera, when I could not bring my 14
    > pounds of Nikon F equipment along. Its only problem was its high price.
    >
    > Mort Linder

    When they ran out of production and digital were well established you
    could buy a new one for peanuts.

    Rob, Feb 21, 2013
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Feb 21, 2013
  8. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 20, 10:30 am, Mort <> wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    > > What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
    > > DSLR.  Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
    > > step up from camera phones.

    > >http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/nikon-to-announce-a-high-end-compac...

    > Hi,
    >
    > This brings back old memories. I have a Nikon 35 Ti film camera, with a
    > fixed 35mm f 2.8 lens that was exceedingly sharp. The camera was built
    > like an elegant army tank, and had retro needle pointer dials. The
    > pictures that I took with it were quite sharp

    Well, making 4x6 prints from film negatives wasn't exactly a major
    task, even for a modest lens. I wonder how the Nikon lens in that
    camera would do with a 16MP sensor?

    RichA, Feb 21, 2013
  9. Re: Nikon to release a decent compact camera...but with a FIXEDlens!!

    PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 2/19/2013 4:55 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> What a mistake. They will do ANYTHING to preserve the domain of the
    >> DSLR. Fixed lens compacts, no matter how they are specked out are one-
    >> step up from camera phones.

    >> http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/n...ensor-28mm-f2-8-lens-expeed-2-processor.aspx/

    > Did you happen to notice that is NOT a Nikobn release announcement.
    > Simply a rumor.

    NO! RichA is wrong! RichA, the one who can predict how well
    any camera will ever sell, has been fooled by a rumor! RichA,
    the single expert of the world on what cameras are worthy and
    which are not, has been tripped up! This simply cannot be!!!

    I'll go commit suicide now, my world has been completely
    shattered. The shutter has closed on me; I'll go get myself
    pelted to death by expensive prime lenses. I'll guillotine off
    my fingers and toes with the electronic shutters of compact
    cameras till I bleed to death. I'll look into a mirror lens
    with a basilisk on the other side till I turn to stone.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 1, 2013
  10. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    On 3/2/2013 9:10 AM, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 3/1/13 1:56 PM, in article ,
    > "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <> wrote:
    >
    >> PeterN <> wrote:

    >>> Did you happen to notice that is NOT a Nikobn release announcement.
    >>> Simply a rumor.

    >> NO! RichA is wrong! RichA, the one who can predict how well
    >> any camera will ever sell, has been fooled by a rumor! RichA,
    >> the single expert of the world on what cameras are worthy and
    >> which are not, has been tripped up! This simply cannot be!!!
    >>

    >> I'll go commit suicide now, my world has been completely
    >> shattered. The shutter has closed on me; I'll go get myself
    >> pelted to death by expensive prime lenses. I'll guillotine off
    >> my fingers and toes with the electronic shutters of compact
    >> cameras till I bleed to death. I'll look into a mirror lens
    >> with a basilisk on the other side till I turn to stone.
    >>
    >> -Wolfgang

    > Might get a better Usenet server whilst you're at it...

    What's this "whilst" stuff about, eh?

    John

    John Turco, Mar 3, 2013
  11. RichA

    nospam Guest

    <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whilst>

    nospam, Mar 3, 2013
  12. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    On 3/3/2013 1:16 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <kh077g$hcl$>, John Turco
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Might get a better Usenet server whilst you're at it...

    >> What's this "whilst" stuff about, eh?

    > <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whilst>

    Note the "chiefly British" qualification, whereas
    "George Kerby" is in Texas, USA.

    John

    John Turco, Mar 3, 2013
  13. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 13:11:49 -0600, John Turco <>
    wrote:

    >On 3/2/2013 9:10 AM, George Kerby wrote:
    >>

    >> On 3/1/13 1:56 PM, in article ,

    >>> NO! RichA is wrong! RichA, the one who can predict how well
    >>> any camera will ever sell, has been fooled by a rumor! RichA,
    >>> the single expert of the world on what cameras are worthy and
    >>> which are not, has been tripped up! This simply cannot be!!!
    >>>

    >>> I'll go commit suicide now, my world has been completely
    >>> shattered. The shutter has closed on me; I'll go get myself
    >>> pelted to death by expensive prime lenses. I'll guillotine off
    >>> my fingers and toes with the electronic shutters of compact
    >>> cameras till I bleed to death. I'll look into a mirror lens
    >>> with a basilisk on the other side till I turn to stone.
    >>>
    >>> -Wolfgang

    >> Might get a better Usenet server whilst you're at it...

    >What's this "whilst" stuff about, eh?

    I rather like "whilst". It flows better in some sentences when used
    instead of "while". Used by an American, though, it could be taken as
    a pretentious affection. Some Brits get their knickers in a twist
    when fellow Brits use Americanisms, but I see nothing particularly
    wrong with cross-pondial sharing.

    Except "u"s, They can keep their extraneous "u"s.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Mar 3, 2013
  14. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 14:56:50 -0600, John Turco <> wrote:
    : On 3/3/2013 1:16 PM, nospam wrote:
    : > In article <kh077g$hcl$>, John Turco
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
    : >>> Might get a better Usenet server whilst you're at it...
    : >>
    : >> What's this "whilst" stuff about, eh?
    : >
    : > <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whilst>
    : >
    :
    :
    : Note the "chiefly British" qualification, whereas
    : "George Kerby" is in Texas, USA.

    They (Texans) are going to revert to Shakespearian English when they secede
    from the Union. Part of putting the modern political era behind them. ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 3, 2013
  15. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 16:08:02 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    wrote:
    : I rather like "whilst". It flows better in some sentences when used
    : instead of "while". Used by an American, though, it could be taken as
    : a pretentious affection. Some Brits get their knickers in a twist
    : when fellow Brits use Americanisms, but I see nothing particularly
    : wrong with cross-pondial sharing.

    What's a "pondia"?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 3, 2013
  16. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <CD592749.9878C%>, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    > Texan for "you" ----> "Y'all"
    >
    > Texan for more than one ----> "All Y'all"

    that's not just in texas.

    nospam, Mar 3, 2013
  17. RichA

    nick c Guest

    On 3/3/2013 12:56 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > On 3/3/2013 1:16 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> What's this "whilst" stuff about, eh?

    >> <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whilst>
    >>

    > Note the "chiefly British" qualification, whereas
    > "George Kerby" is in Texas, USA.
    >
    > John

    John, the first time I ever met a Brit was in Manila, months after the
    war ended. I was in the 738 Combat MP Battalion, on patrol in Manila. My
    patrol territory was south of the Pasige (sp?) river.

    A couple of British ships entered Manila Bay and gave their crews shore
    leave. Bit sailors came ashore and a group hailed me as I was driving
    by; "Hey, Mr. MP" one yelled. I stopped to see what they wanted and one
    asked me where to go to have a good time.

    I asked them if they were "flush." That is, "have you a lot of money."
    They smiled and told me and I then told them to stay north of the river
    and they might live 'till the next day. South of the river my find them
    dead and broke, being hauled out of the river.

    Before leaving them I told them they were the first Brits that I've met
    and that they talked funny. I could hear them gawfaring and stammering
    as I drove away. Gee, one would think a Brit would talk English. Oh well
    ..... :))

    nick c, Mar 3, 2013
  18. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 18:14:10 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 16:08:02 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: I rather like "whilst". It flows better in some sentences when used
    >: instead of "while". Used by an American, though, it could be taken as
    >: a pretentious affection. Some Brits get their knickers in a twist
    >: when fellow Brits use Americanisms, but I see nothing particularly
    >: wrong with cross-pondial sharing.
    >
    >What's a "pondia"?

    "Cross-pondial" is a term in use in another newsgroup I follow that
    has regulars from several countries and continents. It translates
    roughly to "places somewhere else and where there's water between us".
    It's convenient.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Mar 4, 2013
  19. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 15:28:15 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-03-03 15:14:10 -0800, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 16:08:02 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    >> wrote:
    >> : I rather like "whilst". It flows better in some sentences when used
    >> : instead of "while". Used by an American, though, it could be taken as
    >> : a pretentious affection. Some Brits get their knickers in a twist
    >> : when fellow Brits use Americanisms, but I see nothing particularly
    >> : wrong with cross-pondial sharing.
    >>
    >> What's a "pondia"?
    >>
    >> Bob

    >Pond = Atlantic = US/UK physical divide
    >Perhaps "transpondial" might have been more descriptive. ;-)

    Not necessarily, though in this case it is. The Atlantic is just one
    pond. Anywhere across any large body of water is "cross-pondial".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Mar 4, 2013
  20. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >wrote:
    : >: I rather like "whilst". It flows better in some sentences when used
    : >: instead of "while". Used by an American, though, it could be taken as
    : >: a pretentious affection. Some Brits get their knickers in a twist
    : >: when fellow Brits use Americanisms, but I see nothing particularly
    : >: wrong with cross-pondial sharing.
    : >
    : >What's a "pondia"?
    :
    : "Cross-pondial" is a term in use in another newsgroup I follow that
    : has regulars from several countries and continents. It translates
    : roughly to "places somewhere else and where there's water between us".
    : It's convenient.

    IOW, it's a word contructed like "focial", "locial", "modial", "vernial",
    "florial", "ducial", "causial", "tonial", "continential", etc.? ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 4, 2013