Nikon Service

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MikeS, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    Has anyone had any experiences of Nikon UK main service near
    Kingston-upon-Thames.

    I've had quite a lot of trouble getting my D70 put right if I'd known better
    I would have rejected the camera, doing so would have been quicker than a
    repair I had the camera for 4 weeks nad noticed that all the building where
    tilted to the right. They had it first time for repair on the 21st June 04
    where they claimed to have changed the ccd and adjusted its alignment. They
    phoned me to say camera was ready when I got there it wasn't so had to come
    back next day. Unfortunately for me it was still faulty image tilted to the
    right. I telephoned to complain and was told that I was my fault not
    checking the camera before leaving. I told the manager since when does a
    customer have to check an engineer work,and that it was no good pushing the
    blame back to me it should have been checked by the technician. When I
    telephoned to make arrangements to take it back the second time I was told
    D70 have a four week turn around. I asked the manager that seeing as it
    wasn't repaired satisfactory in the first place couldn't he speed things up.
    He then told me of course as its a bouncer.
    Took camera back on July the 7th 04, (I couldnt take it sooner as I was
    haveing surgery on hand) On Friday the 9th June 04 I was told the engineer
    is working on it now call back Monday 12th was told by the manager that it
    was in pieces on the engineers bench as we speak. ring back on Wednesday, if
    its not ready then call on Friday !6th. I know what will happen on Friday I
    be told call back Monday (want to put money on it)
    It looks to me that Nikon are having problems with the D70. It takes ages to
    get in touch with them on the phone and they are not exactly truthful when
    you do get hold of them. With such a back log you would think they would
    work on Saturdays.
    Anyway has anyone had a similar expeience in the UK.
    Its a lovely camera spoilt by bad service managment.
    Regards MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 12, 2004

  2. MikeS

    Roy Guest

    Yes I have and they are really slow and bloody expensive. If there is a
    problem they are unwilling to sort it out fairly. See letter below:

    Dear Sir,

    My Nikonos V developed a problem with the film advance lever. It stuck in
    the wound on position.

    I had it repaired by you at the same time as a full service, and was charged
    £190.62. (Your Ref. 1##### 2 months later I took the camera on holiday for
    the first time snorkelled with it, using up one film. I cleaned & dried the
    camera, making sure that when opening the back it was facing downward,
    should there be any residue water around the back opening. There was none.
    The camera was found to be dry and I replaced the film. On trying to advance
    the film the rewind lever stuck in the wound on position again, just as
    before.

    I decided for several reasons not to return the camera to you immediately.
    One reason was that as I was only going to dive abroad with it once a year.
    I would wait until closer to the next holiday and have the camera repaired
    during it's next service. I was convinced that you would take my word that
    it happened just after the last repair as it was an exact fault as before.
    When I put the camera in for repair next (Repair ID: 1####) I was told
    quote:

    "Camera has been flooded. Water and grit damage has caused wind on to
    faulter. Estimated for spare parts listed and labour for replacing inner
    body O-rings replaced and camera rebuilt. Water pressure checked to
    standards if fault is found to be more extensive equipment will be
    re-estimated." Total cost estimated at £502.75

    I am not disputing the fact that at some time BEFORE I purchased the camera
    it had been flooded. What I do feel is that when the camera was first
    repaired by you the water & grit damage was not found, and that the camera
    could not have been repaired correctly.

    I contacted M#### S##### and explained the situation and went on to tell her
    that at the time I had to hire an underwater camera because mine had failed.
    I was told be her that if I could prove the camera hire my claim would be
    looked upon more favourably. I managed to obtain a bill from the dive shop
    in the Maldives proving that I had indeed hired an underwater camera from
    them just two months after mine was repaired & serviced. A copy of the bill
    was e-mailed to her on the #####

    I have not received any explanation as to what had been decided but a new
    bill has just arrived for the reduced sum of £276.52

    I feel that this reduced bill is an admission of guilt on your part. I am
    still not happy with this outcome. I feel that I have a genuine complaint
    under the supply of goods and services act.

    Would you please respond to this letter within 14 days so that I may decide
    on what further action to take.

    Yours Sincerely

    Roy Squires

    CC Trading Standards, Leatherhead

    DAS Group Legal Advice Department

    The problem was never resolved by them I eventually settled for the reduced
    cost for repair and sold the camera at a loss. I have now gone digital
    ((Non Nikon) and will never buy their products again.

    Regards,
    Roy.

    Roy, Jul 12, 2004

  3. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    "Roy" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Took camera back on July the 7th 04, (I couldnt take it sooner as I was
    > haveing surgery on hand) On Friday the 9th June 04 I was told the

    engineer
    > is working on it now call back Monday 12th was told by the manager that it
    > was in pieces on the engineers bench as we speak. ring back on Wednesday,

    if
    > its not ready then call on Friday !6th. I know what will happen on Friday

    > be told call back Monday (want to put money on it)
    > It looks to me that Nikon are having problems with the D70. It takes ages

    > get in touch with them on the phone and they are not exactly truthful when
    > you do get hold of them. With such a back log you would think they would
    > work on Saturdays.
    > Anyway has anyone had a similar expeience in the UK.
    > Its a lovely camera spoilt by bad service managment.

    I take it that the Nikon repairers where at Knigston-upon-Thames
    I'm writing to the G.M. asap.
    It payes to kepp a diary of events.
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 12, 2004
  4. <snipped - see posts up there>

    hmmm

    Forgive me if I am wrong but:
    1 - once a new item is sent for repair = that's it! your stuck with it.
    There is usually a choice to repair, return or replace It is wise to choose
    your option beforehand

    2 - a QA (quality assurance) issue there would appear to be none on the
    original item and none on the repaired item

    (i ain't gonna mention names)

    3 - in the US there is something called the lemon law I think it runs on 4
    strikes & your out After the 4th repeated repair you may invoke the lemon
    law. Retailers do not want it in the UK because they prefer to provide a
    service without the need for law This is actually a good point - a good
    reputation is very difficult to build and so easy to lose

    Just for "holistic" interests - if you reach an agreement could you update
    this post? It need not be too elaborate if you don't want it to be -
    something like: satisfaction reached eventually

    I am sure we'll all know what you mean

    Artie (yes - it is bagal but a name change seems poetic this evening :)

    ps - if you are ever in the same situation remember to exercise one of the 3
    r's repair, return or replace There's no point in beating about the r's

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 13, 2004
  5. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    "Arte Phacting" <> wrote in message

    > <snipped - see posts up there>
    >
    > hmmm
    >
    > Forgive me if I am wrong but:
    > 1 - once a new item is sent for repair = that's it! your stuck with it.
    > There is usually a choice to repair, return or replace It is wise to

    choose
    > your option beforehand
    >
    > 2 - a QA (quality assurance) issue there would appear to be none on the
    > original item and none on the repaired item
    >
    > (i ain't gonna mention names)
    >
    > 3 - in the US there is something called the lemon law I think it runs on 4
    > strikes & your out After the 4th repeated repair you may invoke the lemon
    > law. Retailers do not want it in the UK because they prefer to provide a
    > service without the need for law This is actually a good point - a good
    > reputation is very difficult to build and so easy to lose
    >
    > Just for "holistic" interests - if you reach an agreement could you update
    > this post? It need not be too elaborate if you don't want it to be -
    > something like: satisfaction reached eventually
    >
    > I am sure we'll all know what you mean
    >
    > Artie (yes - it is bagal but a name change seems poetic this evening :)
    >
    > ps - if you are ever in the same situation remember to exercise one of the

    3
    > r's repair, return or replace There's no point in beating about the r's
    >
    > Artie
    >Here in the UK, under European directive (god knows which) an item must be

    serviceable for the purpose it was designed/made for. This virtually gives a
    6 year warranty but our government is a bit shy on letting the public know
    about these things. To make matters worse, there is also another confusing
    rule. If it has been repaired under warranty it cannot be rejected (as its
    deemed to be second hand) I.E. returned to the supplier as unsatisfactory.
    To summarise :- If you have warranty work done on your camera you have lost
    the right to reject the camera.

    Finally (not on topic)Nikon are a multinational firm/business and I hear
    that health and safety rules for multinationals trading in the UK can apply
    the Health and Safety rules of the country that the holding company resides
    in.
    What a load of tosh our representative have led us into, where has common
    sense gone!!? I know its been banned under a European directive!!!
    MikeS

    MikeS, Jul 13, 2004
  6. Ok - that's good, very good

    Artie