    put 9 spots on a different part of the sensor. I sent it back to Nikon and
    they removed the 9 spots. They replaced them with 2 spots and a smudge on a
    different part of the sensor. Is this typical? What can I do about it?

    dijones, Oct 28, 2006

  2. dijones

    All_Thumbs Guest

    "dijones" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I sent my D50 off to Nikon to have the sensor cleaned. I got it back 19
    >days later. They had successfully removed the 6 spots of dirt. They also
    >put 9 spots on a different part of the sensor. I sent it back to Nikon and
    >they removed the 9 spots. They replaced them with 2 spots and a smudge on
    >a different part of the sensor. Is this typical? What can I do about it?

    Learn to do it yourself.

    There are many methods, and much disagreement as to which method is best. Do
    your own research.

    I also have the D-50, love it. My favorite lens is the 18-200mm VR.

    All_Thumbs, Oct 28, 2006

  3. dijones

    dijones Guest

    "All_Thumbs" <> wrote in message

    > "dijones" <> wrote in message
    >>I sent my D50 off to Nikon to have the sensor cleaned. I got it back 19
    >>days later. They had successfully removed the 6 spots of dirt. They also
    >>put 9 spots on a different part of the sensor. I sent it back to Nikon
    >>and they removed the 9 spots. They replaced them with 2 spots and a
    >>smudge on a different part of the sensor. Is this typical? What can I do
    >>about it?
    >>

    > Learn to do it yourself.
    >
    > There are many methods, and much disagreement as to which method is best.
    > Do your own research.
    >
    > I also have the D-50, love it. My favorite lens is the 18-200mm VR.

    I am thinking of getting a cleaning kit. Can't imagine I can make a worse
    job of it than Nikon. Is there any particular cleaning kit that you might
    recommend? (I'm in the UK).

    dijones, Oct 28, 2006
  4. On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:07:24 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "dijones"
    <> wrote:

    >I sent my D50 off to Nikon to have the sensor cleaned. I got it back 19
    >days later. They had successfully removed the 6 spots of dirt. They also
    >put 9 spots on a different part of the sensor. I sent it back to Nikon and
    >they removed the 9 spots. They replaced them with 2 spots and a smudge on a
    >different part of the sensor. Is this typical? What can I do about it?

    Buy some SensorSwabs/PecPads and a bottle of Eclipse alcohol and learn to
    do it yourself? http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 28, 2006
  5. dijones

    dgillilan Guest

    Dear Dijones,
    I bought the materials for this from Copper Hill. Their prices are
    much less than B&H or Adorama and the shipping is less. My kit
    was successful on my D50, and you may have to do it many times
    in succession to remove all specs of dust. The website is:
    http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=products

    Hope this helps. Again, I use their products as do many
    Nikonians - I bought these items:
    wet/dry sensor kit, which includes the "Eclipse" solution,
    pec pads, applicator, and also a brush that you use as per
    the directions.

    Good luck, D Gillilan

    dgillilan, Oct 28, 2006
  6. dijones wrote:

    > I sent my D50 off to Nikon to have the sensor cleaned. I got it back
    > 19 days later. They had successfully removed the 6 spots of dirt.
    > They also put 9 spots on a different part of the sensor. I sent it
    > back to Nikon and they removed the 9 spots. They replaced them with
    > 2 spots and a smudge on a different part of the sensor. Is this
    > typical? What can I do about it?

    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 28, 2006
  7. dijones

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > dijones wrote:
    >
    >> I sent my D50 off to Nikon to have the sensor cleaned. I got it back
    >> 19 days later. They had successfully removed the 6 spots of dirt.
    >> They also put 9 spots on a different part of the sensor. I sent it
    >> back to Nikon and they removed the 9 spots. They replaced them with
    >> 2 spots and a smudge on a different part of the sensor. Is this
    >> typical? What can I do about it?

    > http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

    While a good idea, I would think it would be better
    to simply drill a hole in the back of the camera and
    mount a windshield wiper motor with a sensor swab
    on it inside to continuously clean the sensor. But
    I do like your design Rita ... :)

    (ps - don't forget a vent or you will explode the camera
    with all that gas going in and no place to go ,,, )

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Oct 29, 2006
  8. dijones

    minnesotti Guest

    minnesotti, Oct 29, 2006
  9. dgillilan wrote:
    > Dear Dijones,
    > I bought the materials for this from Copper Hill. Their prices are
    > much less than B&H or Adorama and the shipping is less. My kit
    > was successful on my D50, and you may have to do it many times
    > in succession to remove all specs of dust. The website is:
    > http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=products
    >
    > Hope this helps. Again, I use their products as do many
    > Nikonians - I bought these items:
    > wet/dry sensor kit, which includes the "Eclipse" solution,
    > pec pads, applicator, and also a brush that you use as per
    > the directions.
    >
    > Good luck, D Gillilan

    Copper Hill gets a good name, but aren't they in the USA? Last time I looked
    they only sent out to US and Canada.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 29, 2006
  10. dijones

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "dijones" <> wrote:

    > I sent my D50 off to Nikon to have the sensor cleaned. I got it back 19
    > days later. They had successfully removed the 6 spots of dirt. They also
    > put 9 spots on a different part of the sensor. I sent it back to Nikon and
    > they removed the 9 spots. They replaced them with 2 spots and a smudge on a
    > different part of the sensor. Is this typical? What can I do about it?

    Buy a non-DSLR next time, silly!

    Stewy, Oct 29, 2006
  11. minnesotti wrote:

    >> http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

    > Rita, this bloody nitrogen cylinder contains nitrogen which is
    > contaminated with oil. Do you want oil on yer sensor ?

    Nope. No oil in that tank or regulator. I use it for all my dust removal
    needs and haven't ever seen a speck of oil.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 29, 2006
  12. Mike Fields wrote:

    >> http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm
    >>

    > While a good idea, I would think it would be better
    > to simply drill a hole in the back of the camera and
    > mount a windshield wiper motor with a sensor swab
    > on it inside to continuously clean the sensor. But
    > I do like your design Rita ... :)

    Now that is a great idea. You might want to patent this one. The only
    limitation I can see with this idea is Eclipse doesn't sell 5-gallon jugs of
    their solution to strap to your back for mobility.

    > (ps - don't forget a vent or you will explode the camera
    > with all that gas going in and no place to go ,,, )

    The rubber flap over the USB socket doubles as a pressure relief valve.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 29, 2006
  13. dijones

    > Mike Fields wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm
    >>>

    >> While a good idea, I would think it would be better
    >> to simply drill a hole in the back of the camera and
    >> mount a windshield wiper motor with a sensor swab
    >> on it inside to continuously clean the sensor. But
    >> I do like your design Rita ... :)

    > Now that is a great idea. You might want to patent this one. The
    > only
    > limitation I can see with this idea is Eclipse doesn't sell 5-gallon
    > jugs of
    > their solution to strap to your back for mobility.
    >
    >> (ps - don't forget a vent or you will explode the camera
    >> with all that gas going in and no place to go ,,, )

    > The rubber flap over the USB socket doubles as a pressure relief
    > valve.
    >
    > Rita

    No problem - just use a 1 liter container, a recycle pump
    and filter.

    I had forgotten the rubber flap over the USB socket.
    Good point.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Oct 29, 2006
  14. Mike Fields wrote:

    > No problem - just use a 1 liter container, a recycle pump
    > and filter.

    Yes, I guess one could install a SPR (Solution Pressure Regulator) and a
    return line back to the tank. The only issue I have right now is selecting
    the Bosch injector that yields a proper spray pattern and pressure rating.
    Some say the 90 PSI injectors are killer.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 29, 2006