Nikon sb 800 Battery question (External rechargeable)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jim, Dec 21, 2006.

  1. jim

    jim Guest

    I have been using a Nikon D70s with the SB800 for over a year and love
    the results, but would like advice from other users on an external long
    life battery forhte SB800 strobe.

    I have been using the 5 battery option and have been pleased with
    shooting in RAW mode and inother modes as well but am dissapointed in
    the life of the batteries when you're shooting inside or at night and
    need to find a good but not pricey solution to my situation.

    I woudl like to be able to shoot 400-500 shots in one battery life and
    then have the opportunity to swap batteries with a fresh one while
    charging the depleted battery.

    If anyone has any thougths on this I would appreciate them as I love
    the camera and strobe, just not he life of the 5 aa cell batteries.

    Thanks!!

    jim
    jim, Dec 21, 2006

  2. jim

    Mike Guest

    "jim" <> wrote in message
    >I have been using a Nikon D70s with the SB800 for over a year and love
    > the results, but would like advice from other users on an external long
    > life battery forhte SB800 strobe.
    >
    > I have been using the 5 battery option and have been pleased with
    > shooting in RAW mode and inother modes as well but am dissapointed in
    > the life of the batteries when you're shooting inside or at night and
    > need to find a good but not pricey solution to my situation.
    >
    > I woudl like to be able to shoot 400-500 shots in one battery life and
    > then have the opportunity to swap batteries with a fresh one while
    > charging the depleted battery.
    >
    > If anyone has any thougths on this I would appreciate them as I love
    > the camera and strobe, just not he life of the 5 aa cell batteries.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > jim

    Try this guy. I haven't tried one but he comes highly recomended.

    http://www.aljacobs.com/THE BLACK BOX.htm
    Mike, Dec 22, 2006

  3. jim

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "jim" <> writes:
    > I woudl like to be able to shoot 400-500 shots in one battery life and
    > then have the opportunity to swap batteries with a fresh one while
    > charging the depleted battery.

    Quantum (www.qtm.com) is the classic for this but there may be
    comparable batteries out there now. Be careful not to overheat the
    unit. Note that if you're using five NiMH cells you really should get
    quite a lot of flashes.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 22, 2006
  4. jim

    Richard H. Guest

    jim wrote:
    > I woudl like to be able to shoot 400-500 shots in one battery life and
    > then have the opportunity to swap batteries with a fresh one while
    > charging the depleted battery.

    FYI, I find the Duracell Ultra AA's (Costco sells them) last an
    amazingly long time. They still cycle within 5 seconds after about 100
    full-power flashes (manual mode). If the SB-800 had an audio chirp when
    the flash was charged I'd probably run them even longer, but nowhere
    near 500 shots.

    FWIW, something I do to speed-up battery swaps - tape the 4-pack of
    batteries loosely at one end, in the proper orientation so they drop
    into the camera as a single unit. Pull the tape off as it's sliding in,
    if necessary.

    For packs, you'll find 2 styles - one is a fake battery pack attached to
    a power cord. I know several event shooters that like these because
    they're smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the next style.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=43311&is=REG
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=316569&is=REG

    The other style connects to the front power jack on the SB-800, but
    curiously this solution also requires good batteries to be installed in
    the SB-800 battery holder. IIRC, this style has a much faster cycle
    time if that's a concern for you.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=268860&is=REG
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=149467&is=REG

    FYI, I've read that packs which charge the flash too rapidly can cause
    premature death of the strobe and/or you need to provide cool-down time
    between bursts.

    Cheers,
    Richard
    Richard H., Jan 29, 2007
  5. "Richard H." <> wrote:

    >For packs, you'll find 2 styles - one is a fake battery pack
    >attached to a power cord.

    I'm not sure what you meant to say there. Neither of the two
    units listed below is "fake" in any way.

    >I know several event shooters that
    >like these because they're smaller, lighter, and cheaper than
    >the next style.
    >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=43311&is=REG
    >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=316569&is=REG

    The Quantum 1+ Battery pack uses a 6 volt 2500 mAH Sealed Lead
    Acid battery. (Compare the 2500 mAH rating with whatever
    batteries are currently being used to get an idea of how this
    unit will perform.)

    >The other style connects to the front power jack on the SB-800,
    >but curiously this solution also requires good batteries to be
    >installed in the SB-800 battery holder. IIRC, this style has a
    >much faster cycle time if that's a concern for you.
    >http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con.../home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=149467&is=REG

    The Turbo unit uses an 8 volt 3200 mAH Sealed Lead Acid battery.
    However it bypasses the power conversion circuit in the flash,
    and has its own circuit to generate high voltage. (I haven't
    used one but...) That should mean a more husky power supply
    that can tolerate a higher duty cycle.

    >FYI, I've read that packs which charge the flash too rapidly can
    >cause premature death of the strobe and/or you need to provide
    >cool-down time between bursts.

    That might well be a problem.

    I use a couple of Quantum 1+ units, but my use is probably not
    typical or indicative. I've never come close to over heating
    one or to even running the battery down in one session. I
    rarely use flash... My reason for having them is because AA
    cells are expensive here because of the weight. If I put in a
    fresh set every time I want to use flash, just to make sure they
    are ready, it would run through enough batteries to pay for a
    Quantum 1+ off eBay in short order...

    To be honest, these beasties are somewhat of a pain most of the
    time! But in the winter I can use one outdoors with the battery
    in my pocket, so that is a plus. Otherwise, I hang it off
    tripods or whatever.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Jan 29, 2007
  6. jim

    Richard H. Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >>For packs, you'll find 2 styles - one is a fake battery pack
    >>attached to a power cord.

    > I'm not sure what you meant to say there. Neither of the two
    > units listed below is "fake" in any way.

    :) It made more sense when writing it...

    The first (smaller) unit uses a set of "fake batteries" on a power cord
    to make the connection to the SB800. (i.e., they insert in the battery
    cavity of the SB800; the other end of the cord goes to the power pack.)
    As opposed to the latter style that uses the power jack on the front.

    Cheers,
    Richard
    Richard H., Jan 29, 2007
  7. "Richard H." <> wrote:
    >Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >>>For packs, you'll find 2 styles - one is a fake battery pack
    >>>attached to a power cord.

    >> I'm not sure what you meant to say there. Neither of the two
    >> units listed below is "fake" in any way.

    >:) It made more sense when writing it...

    Oh, it does... now that I understand what you wanted to say!

    It just didn't click in at the time, for me.

    >The first (smaller) unit uses a set of "fake batteries" on a
    >power cord to make the connection to the SB800. (i.e., they
    >insert in the battery cavity of the SB800; the other end of the
    >cord goes to the power pack.) As opposed to the latter style
    >that uses the power jack on the front.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Richard

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)