    to get it repaired (assuming it's a reasonable fee). Is there a Nikon
    Repair center in NYC? Otherwise, do I ship it to Nikon or what?

    Thanks for any help, please reply here.
    Duke, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Duke <> wrote in news:bkvjib$6c89o$-
    berlin.de:

    > I live in NYC and I have a Nikon Coolpix 990, that is out of warranty,
    > in need of repair. It had a "water accident", some water was splashed
    > into it and now it behaves erratically - a strange icon appears on
    > screen, it doesn't focus, flash charges all the time, etc. I would like
    > to get it repaired (assuming it's a reasonable fee). Is there a Nikon
    > Repair center in NYC? Otherwise, do I ship it to Nikon or what?
    >
    > Thanks for any help, please reply here.

    This won't help with most of the problems, but the "strange icon" is
    probably the little clock thing that indicates that you need to set the
    date and time. Bryan
    Bryan Biggers, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Duke

    W6DKN Guest

    http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_service/inc_service.jsp
    W6DKN, Sep 25, 2003
  4. Go to http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/repair.htm for a list of authorized
    Nikon repair facilities worldwide, with addresses and telephone numbers.

    The closest NIKON facility where I would trust them to speak English is in
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, which is Nikon Canada's head office location.
    They also have a location in Montreal. The US facility owned by Nikon is
    in California. Ship it to California or take a day and drive to
    Mississauga or Montreal. As it is out of warranty, either way you will pay
    about the same amount of money, but Toronto is only a day's drive from NYC
    via 17 to Buffalo and then crossing at Fort Erie using the Queen Elizabeth
    Way to Mississauga and Nikon Canada, while Montreal is straight up the
    Hudson via the NY State Thruway to Albany, then continue north to Montreal
    :) Depends on whether you want a vacation or not :)

    As to how long it will take them to repair it? If it can be repaired it
    likely will take them a week to evaluate, estimate, communicate with you
    and, assuming you want to pay them their price, fix it... Then they'll ship
    it back to you or you can pick it up :)

    RSH
    ----------------------------

    R.S. [Bob] Heuman, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Duke

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:51:45 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "R.S. [Bob]
    Heuman" <> wrote:

    >Go to http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/repair.htm for a list of authorized
    >Nikon repair facilities worldwide, with addresses and telephone numbers.
    >
    >The closest NIKON facility where I would trust them to speak English is in
    >Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, which is Nikon Canada's head office location.
    >They also have a location in Montreal. The US facility owned by Nikon is
    >in California.

    Baloney. There's an official Nikon east coast service center in
    Melville, NY (on Long Island, just off exit 49 of the LIE.)
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Duke

    ajacobs2 Guest

    > Duke <> wrote:
    > >I live in NYC and I have a Nikon Coolpix 990, that is out of warranty,
    > >in need of repair. SNIP>

    Simple easy to understand question.......

    "R.S. [Bob] Heuman" who obviously must work for Travel International sends
    our conscript with a water whacked Nikon 990 on a 3000 mile wild goose
    chase.
    > The closest NIKON facility where I would trust them to speak English is in
    > Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and then to California

    <SNIP> > RSH

    Here is a tip, the only remaining Nikon (Factory owned) repair station is
    in NY at Melville Long Island. Twenty or so miles from where you are. The
    California repair station for Nikon is getting Johnny Fived.....
    Disassembled in laymans terms. Closed, gone forever, Sayonara, Aue
    Verdersen, Chow, Gonzo.

    NY will be the main repair station for Nikon.California is or will be
    closed. Thats the scuttlebutt floating amongst the dealers. Probably cost
    of two operations, training and overnight service availability. Who needs
    two?

    Probable costs for repair on that 990 might be level two, or three, usually
    150-250 dollars. I never had one come back for less. Their estimates work on
    levels.
    ajacobs2, Sep 26, 2003
  7. Duke

    Duke Guest

    ajacobs2 said the following on 9/26/2003 7:41 AM:
    >>Duke <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I live in NYC and I have a Nikon Coolpix 990, that is out of warranty,
    >>>in need of repair. SNIP>

    > Simple easy to understand question.......
    > Here is a tip, the only remaining Nikon (Factory owned) repair station is
    > in NY at Melville Long Island. Twenty or so miles from where you are. The
    > California repair station for Nikon is getting Johnny Fived.....
    > Disassembled in laymans terms. Closed, gone forever, Sayonara, Aue
    > Verdersen, Chow, Gonzo.
    >
    > NY will be the main repair station for Nikon.California is or will be
    > closed. Thats the scuttlebutt floating amongst the dealers. Probably cost
    > of two operations, training and overnight service availability. Who needs
    > two?
    >
    > Probable costs for repair on that 990 might be level two, or three, usually
    > 150-250 dollars. I never had one come back for less. Their estimates work on
    > levels.

    Thanks to all who replied. I would take the vac to Montreal if I could,
    believe you me - I would ship the camera to Melville then take off for
    Montreal in a heartbeat ;) Alas, I just got back from vac and need to
    do some work ;)

    Bryan, you were right on the money about the "strange icon" ;)

    Thx again.
    Duke, Sep 26, 2003
  8. Duke

    Duke Guest

    Hi folks, me again! ;)

    $250 for repair of a camera that goes for $300-350 on eBay (complete 990
    kit, not just body) seems a bit high; assuming that's what Nikon would
    estimate, I would rather invest in newer technology. So I would take
    the $250 and put it towards buying another, newer digicam. But.. it
    would hurt my heart to see the 990 sitting there broken. Is there any
    3rd-party repair shop that, while possibly not performing repair service
    at the level Nikon would, be able to make the camera functional so it
    can take pictures. The key here being the cost of repair - can anyone
    other than Nikon repair the camera at a more competitive cost, even if
    the work is not as high quality as Nikon's?

    Thx again.
    Duke, Sep 26, 2003