    I also noticed on their web site that it says "new lower price" by the
    SB-600 Speedlight, but no mention of what the price is. Prices on the
    online vendors appear to be unchanged.

    Steve L, Jan 19, 2006

  2. "Steve L" <> wrote in message
    > I also noticed on their web site that it says "new lower price" by the
    > SB-600 Speedlight, but no mention of what the price is. Prices on the
    > online vendors appear to be unchanged.

    Can't say for sure about Nikon, but many companies offer rebates just before
    lowering the price. That way, you don't piss of the guy that just spent
    $200 yesterday and now sees the same item for $150 because he is getting the
    rebate. No different than the BOGO sales at the supermarkets.

    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Steve L

    george Guest

    "Edwin Pawlowski" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve L" <> wrote in message
    >> I also noticed on their web site that it says "new lower price" by the
    >> SB-600 Speedlight, but no mention of what the price is. Prices on the
    >> online vendors appear to be unchanged.

    > Can't say for sure about Nikon, but many companies offer rebates just
    > before lowering the price. That way, you don't piss of the guy that just
    > spent $200 yesterday and now sees the same item for $150 because he is
    > getting the rebate. No different than the BOGO sales at the supermarkets.

    Actually, for the last 20 years Nikon has been doing the opposite.
    Typically, they raise the price and introduce rebates simultaneously in the
    fall near Christmas. For the longest time, those rebates expired at the end
    of March. Lately, the rebates have been going into the summer. Their
    little trick is to raise prices and negate it with a rebate, when the rebate
    expires people are already used to seeing the higher price and forget that
    it was recently hiked to that level.

    George

    george, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Steve L

    SMS Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > "Steve L" <> wrote in message
    >> I also noticed on their web site that it says "new lower price" by the
    >> SB-600 Speedlight, but no mention of what the price is. Prices on the
    >> online vendors appear to be unchanged.

    > Can't say for sure about Nikon, but many companies offer rebates just before
    > lowering the price. That way, you don't piss of the guy that just spent
    > $200 yesterday and now sees the same item for $150 because he is getting the
    > rebate. No different than the BOGO sales at the supermarkets.

    Quite different, because the when the BOGO sales are over, the price
    goes back up. Always nice to see that Costco is much less expensive than
    Safeway, even when Safeway has a BOGO sale.

    SMS, Jan 20, 2006