    good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good
    people to do evil things, that takes religion.

    Steven Weinberg

    Ockham's Razor, Jan 29, 2008

  2. Ockham's Razor

    Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:52:38 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's
    Razor <> wrote:

    >I have a D50.
    >
    >It has five possible autofocus points seen as "brackets" in the view
    >finder.
    >
    >In the P,S,A and M settings the focus point is fixed in the left hand
    >bracket. I have tried to change this in the "Auto focus" menu control,
    >but it will not change.
    >
    >Can anyone help me with information about how to get the focus point in
    >the middle on the above settings.

    See page 33 of the fine manual.

    , Jan 29, 2008

  3. Ockham's Razor

    Poldekk Guest

    Ockham's Razor wrote:

    > I have a D50.
    >
    > It has five possible autofocus points seen as "brackets" in the view
    > finder.
    >
    > In the P,S,A and M settings the focus point is fixed in the left hand
    > bracket. I have tried to change this in the "Auto focus" menu control,
    > but it will not change.
    >
    > Can anyone help me with information about how to get the focus point in
    > the middle on the above settings.

    "Single area" in the menu.

    Poldekk, Jan 29, 2008
  4. Ockham's Razor

    Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:13:23 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Poldekk
    <> wrote:

    >Ockham's Razor wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a D50.
    >>
    >> It has five possible autofocus points seen as "brackets" in the view
    >> finder.
    >>
    >> In the P,S,A and M settings the focus point is fixed in the left hand
    >> bracket. I have tried to change this in the "Auto focus" menu control,
    >> but it will not change.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me with information about how to get the focus point in
    >> the middle on the above settings.

    >"Single area" in the menu.

    No, setting AF- Area-mode to single or dynamic only allows one to be able
    to manually set the AF point. The means to do that is specified on p. 33 of
    the fine manual.

    , Jan 30, 2008
  5. Ockham's Razor

    cupra Guest

    Ockham's Razor wrote:
    > I have a D50.
    >
    > It has five possible autofocus points seen as "brackets" in the view
    > finder.
    >
    > In the P,S,A and M settings the focus point is fixed in the left hand
    > bracket. I have tried to change this in the "Auto focus" menu
    > control, but it will not change.
    >
    > Can anyone help me with information about how to get the focus point
    > in the middle on the above settings.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Use the Left/Right button to switch between brackets?

    cupra, Jan 30, 2008
  6. On Jan 29, 10:04 am, wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:52:38 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's
    >
    > Razor <> wrote:

    > See page 33 of the fine manual.

    I was teaching a course on digital photography several years ago. I
    asked how many people were satisfied with the manual that came with
    their camera. About five hands went up out of a class of about two
    dozen. ALL of those who were satisfied were Nikon owners. Things may
    have changed since, but that was a limited sample several years ago.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jan 30, 2008
  7. Ockham's Razor

    Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:07:22 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
    in Minnesota <> wrote:

    >On Jan 29, 10:04 am, wrote:
    >> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:52:38 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's
    >>
    >> Razor <> wrote:

    >> See page 33 of the fine manual.

    >I was teaching a course on digital photography several years ago. I
    >asked how many people were satisfied with the manual that came with
    >their camera. About five hands went up out of a class of about two
    >dozen. ALL of those who were satisfied were Nikon owners. Things may
    >have changed since, but that was a limited sample several years ago.

    Having gone through a 990, 5700, D70 and D200 and grabbing copies of most
    others manuals as well, I think they're about the same. One issue is that
    given how they are organized the TOC/index doesn't always point to all the
    info on a given subject. Making grabbing a PDF copy that is keyword
    searchable a good idea.

    , Jan 30, 2008