    Am a dyed in the wool Nikon fan wanting to move up a full frame digital pro
    SLR - but alas, only Canon and Kodak have them at present - anyone known
    anything about when Nikon will meet the competition?

    J. Sm, Oct 8, 2003

  2. J. Sm

    Gavin Cato Guest

    Some Nikon head execs said theyy will develop a full frame DSLR for the pro
    market "in the future".

    Whether this means the not far off D2x or a future D3x is anyones guess.

    Gavin Cato, Oct 8, 2003

  3. I dont think that will happen soon. The special digital lenses they created,
    will be useless on the full frames... so there wil be a d2x, d200 and an
    d75 soon...same frame size.

    --
    Martin
    www.wolverlei.com

    http://home.hccnet.nl/F.siemensma

    wolverlei photography, Oct 8, 2003
  4. J. Sm

    MarkH Guest

    "wolverlei photography" <> wrote in

    > I dont think that will happen soon. The special digital lenses they
    > created, will be useless on the full frames... so there wil be a d2x,
    > d200 and an d75 soon...same frame size.

    Really?

    I didn’t realise that Nikon had released a range of special lenses for the
    digital SLRs. I have only heard of the 12-24. Could you list the range of
    lenses for those of us that are woefully uninformed?

    BTW
    Unless the entire Nikon D-SLR range was replaced by full frame models, then
    wont there still be a market for the special lenses?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Oct 8, 2003
  5. "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    > "wolverlei photography" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I dont think that will happen soon. The special digital lenses they
    > > created, will be useless on the full frames... so there wil be a d2x,
    > > d200 and an d75 soon...same frame size.

    > Really?
    >
    > I didn't realise that Nikon had released a range of special lenses for the
    > digital SLRs. I have only heard of the 12-24. Could you list the range

    of
    > lenses for those of us that are woefully uninformed?
    >
    > BTW
    > Unless the entire Nikon D-SLR range was replaced by full frame models,

    then
    > wont there still be a market for the special lenses?

    these are designed only for digital NOTfullsize, useless on other camera's:
    Nikkor AF-S DX 12-24/4.0 G ED
    Nikkor AF-S DX 17-55/2.8G IF ED
    Nikkor AF-S DX Fisheye 10,5/2.8 ED

    Brandnew expensive lenses so i think that there will be a full-size in
    future but the "common"size digi's will remain.

    --
    Martin
    www.wolverlei.com

    wolverlei photography, Oct 8, 2003
  6. J. Sm

    Gavin Cato Guest

    I agree, though I wish it was with the D2x.

    Gavin Cato, Oct 8, 2003
  7. J. Sm

    > these are designed only for digital NOTfullsize, useless on other
    > camera's: Nikkor AF-S DX 12-24/4.0 G ED
    > Nikkor AF-S DX 17-55/2.8G IF ED
    > Nikkor AF-S DX Fisheye 10,5/2.8 ED
    >
    > Brandnew expensive lenses so i think that there will be a full-size in
    > future but the "common"size digi's will remain.

    Thanks for the info.

    Personally I would be reluctant to buy a 17-55 for small sensor only,
    unless it was very cheap. I don’t expect to own my current D-SLR forever,
    if I replace it in 5 years with one that has a full frame sensor I want to
    be able to use my current lenses, especially the expensive ones.

    I can understand buying the 12-24 because you can’t find that wide in a
    normal zoom.

    MarkH, Oct 8, 2003
  8. "J. Sm" <> writes:

    > Am a dyed in the wool Nikon fan wanting to move up a full frame digital pro
    > SLR - but alas, only Canon and Kodak have them at present - anyone known
    > anything about when Nikon will meet the competition?

    You do know that that Kodak model takes Nikon lenses, right?
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 8, 2003
  9. J. Sm

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "J. Sm"

    >Am a dyed in the wool Nikon fan wanting to move up a full frame digital pro
    >SLR - but alas, only Canon and Kodak have them at present - anyone known
    >anything about when Nikon will meet the competition?

    I saw a blurb in a magazine recently from Nikon to the effect they were taking
    two paths with dSLR's, keeping the 1.5x multiplier size sensor for consumer
    grade dSLR's and developing full frame sensors for professional dSLR's. No
    time table but if they're making statements like this you'd figure an official
    announcement would occur relatively soon, say 6 months or so?

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 8, 2003
  10. J. Sm

    Mark Roberts Guest

    dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:

    >I saw a blurb in a magazine recently from Nikon to the effect they were taking
    >two paths with dSLR's, keeping the 1.5x multiplier size sensor for consumer
    >grade dSLR's and developing full frame sensors for professional dSLR's. No
    >time table but if they're making statements like this you'd figure an official
    >announcement would occur relatively soon, say 6 months or so?

    The industry insiders I know say Nikon is at least a year behind Canon,
    possibly two. I'd guess we might see a non-working prototype at PMA in
    Feb. They need to *show* that they've got something coming ASAP.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Oct 8, 2003