    Nikon Lenses that I feel like I need to stay with Nikon.
    --
    JakeInHartsel

    Glenn Jacobs, Dec 8, 2004

  2. "Glenn Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    news:18x3n6q1si0ho$...
    > At least around the D-70 seems to be on contious sale. Is this in
    > anticipation of a new model, has anyone heard anything. I have so many
    > Nikon Lenses that I feel like I need to stay with Nikon.
    > --
    > JakeInHartsel

    The next anticipated Nikon dSLR is the replacement for the D100 (called
    D200?) and generally, people are anticipating its announcement in about
    February. Look for it to target the 20D, with price and performance
    differences analogous to the D70's relationship to the Canon 300D.

    The replacement for the D70 (D90?) *might* be announced at about that same
    time, but that rumor is even a little more vaporous than the D200 rumor.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 8, 2004

  3. at first i felt locked in to nikon given my lens investment, but if you
    don't have a d-slr yet then you may not realize that your lens have a
    functional difference when used on a digital body. technical the focal
    length does not change, but effectively it does; and by a factor of 1.5x.
    because the digital sensor is smaller than a 35mm negative image amount of
    the image recorded image is cropped so to speak. your nice wide 24mm will
    only provide a 36mm equivalent when use on the d-slr. your 300mm will
    become a 450nn equivalent. and so on. i suppose this in a way is a bonus if
    you favor telephotos, but for anyone that favors wide angles you will be
    buying more lens no matter what brand you choose. the d70 comes with a kit
    lens that is 17-70mm, or 27-105mm equivalent.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Glenn Jacobs

    Ken Burns Guest

    > At least around the D-70 seems to be on contious sale. Is this in
    > anticipation of a new model, has anyone heard anything. I have so many
    > Nikon Lenses that I feel like I need to stay with Nikon.
    > --
    > JakeInHartsel

    I would suspect that these continuous sales have more to do with
    over-pricing to begin with. Or possibly it has to do with the marketing
    strategies based on people always wanting a discount. There's also the
    possibility that production costs have dropped as production levels increase
    and Nikon has decided it can lower the prices, but the people need to be
    made aware that Nikon is doing them a real favor. Maybe it has something to
    do with the values of the yen, dollar, and pound. I think it is mostly
    because the cameras were over-priced to begin with.

    KB

    Ken Burns, Dec 10, 2004
  5. >> At least around the D-70 seems to be on contious sale. Is this in
    >> anticipation of a new model, has anyone heard anything. I have so many
    >> Nikon Lenses that I feel like I need to stay with Nikon.

    >I would suspect that these continuous sales have more to do with
    >over-pricing to begin with. Or possibly it has to do with the marketing

    But be careful, too. There are always "sales" on the Internet from
    less than reputable sellers. I would start by checking Amazon and B&H
    (http://www.bhphoto.com). A price much lower than theirs is almost
    certainly too good to be true.

    -Joel

    Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography