Nikon "PictureProject" software

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hallvard Tangeraas, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. I'm confused, trying to figure out Nikon's "PictureProject"
    software (version 1.5) which came with the camera and is now
    installed on a Windows ME computer.

    I've been playing around with it a bit, and I'm afraid I've
    messed things up.
    Importing new images from the camera (or other folders on the
    hard drive) is a breeze, but I'm having a hard time figuring out
    where the different folder contents are located.
    There's a "PictureProject" folder found inside the images folder
    in the "My documents" folder.
    It contains a bunch of numbered folders, each one seemingly
    containing whatever has been imported in a session, but how do I
    choose/access these folders when I'm using the program?

    Secondly, I played around with some functions in PictureProject,
    such as "rotate" and red-eye removal.
    It seems that this actually alters the image files!!! Is this
    correct? Is there any way to revert to the original files
    *without* affecting the quality?
    (I know that the JPEG format is a "lossy" one, so I assume that
    every time an image is rotated and saved, a little quality is
    lost). I'd like to keep at least a copy of my images on CD which
    is original.

    --
    Hallvard
    Hallvard Tangeraas, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Hallvard Tangeraas

    Jim Guest

    "Hallvard Tangeraas" <> wrote in message
    > I'm confused, trying to figure out Nikon's "PictureProject" software
    > (version 1.5) which came with the camera and is now installed on a Windows
    > ME computer.
    >
    > I've been playing around with it a bit, and I'm afraid I've messed things
    > up.
    > Importing new images from the camera (or other folders on the hard drive)
    > is a breeze, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where the different
    > folder contents are located.
    > There's a "PictureProject" folder found inside the images folder in the
    > "My documents" folder.
    > It contains a bunch of numbered folders, each one seemingly containing
    > whatever has been imported in a session, but how do I choose/access these
    > folders when I'm using the program?

    You see the current one in Picture Perfect. I neither know nor need to know
    how to access the other folders, because I always copy the files to another
    folder before I do any work on them.

    > Secondly, I played around with some functions in PictureProject, such as
    > "rotate" and red-eye removal.
    > It seems that this actually alters the image files!!! Is this correct? Is
    > there any way to revert to the original files *without* affecting the
    > quality?

    Of course rotating and red-eye removal alter the image files. Well,
    rotating won't do much, but as the resulting image will be compressed when
    you close it, some degradation will occur. What you should do is save the
    resulting image to another folder.
    > (I know that the JPEG format is a "lossy" one, so I assume that every time
    > an image is rotated and saved, a little quality is lost). I'd like to keep
    > at least a copy of my images on CD which is original.

    Just backup those numbered folders (which you left unchanged by saving any
    changes elsewhere) to the CD.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Jim wrote:

    > "Hallvard Tangeraas" <> wrote in message

    >> There's a "PictureProject" folder found inside the images folder in the
    >> "My documents" folder.
    >> It contains a bunch of numbered folders, each one seemingly containing
    >> whatever has been imported in a session, but how do I choose/access these
    >> folders when I'm using the program?

    > You see the current one in Picture Perfect. I neither know nor need to know
    > how to access the other folders, because I always copy the files to another
    > folder before I do any work on them.

    That's what I've started to do as well, and transferred them to CDs.
    Unfortunately I transferred a memory card contents worth of
    images directly into PictureProject and failed to copy the files
    to another folder before messing around with the rotate functions
    among others.

    >> Secondly, I played around with some functions in PictureProject, such as
    >> "rotate" and red-eye removal.
    >> It seems that this actually alters the image files!!! Is this correct? Is
    >> there any way to revert to the original files *without* affecting the
    >> quality?

    > Of course rotating and red-eye removal alter the image files. Well,
    > rotating won't do much, but as the resulting image will be compressed when
    > you close it, some degradation will occur. What you should do is save the
    > resulting image to another folder.

    The reason I asked is because I found an option for choosing the
    original or edited image, but I can't seem to find separate
    original and edited image files, which confuses me.
    (If you select a photo, then go to "edit" mode (as opposed to
    "Organize") -at the bottom right hand side of the screen there's
    a window titled "Markers", which lets you choose between original
    and edited versions of the image).

    Good to hear that rotating won't do much damage as that's what
    I've done mostly. I was sure that this function wouldn't actually
    *change* the image files themselves, but merely add information
    to PictureProject, telling it to rotate the said images such and
    such. Why no warning about permanent alterations if this is the
    case!!?!?!?

    Now if someone could tell me how to access image folders other
    than "Last import" I could see if the images are re-saved
    un-edited again. Anyone else know about this?

    Isn't this supposed to be a photo-album program?
    I thought the idea was to be able to organize photos in various
    ways, just like a "real", physical photo album. It's a little
    confusing at the moment, but I'm sure there's a system of some
    sort, if someone could give me a few pointers on how to get
    started -the manual explains just about nothing beyond installing it.

    >> (I know that the JPEG format is a "lossy" one, so I assume that every time
    >> an image is rotated and saved, a little quality is lost). I'd like to keep
    >> at least a copy of my images on CD which is original.

    > Just backup those numbered folders (which you left unchanged by saving any
    > changes elsewhere) to the CD.

    Yup, I'm doing that from now on.
    A tad late perhaps, for some of the images, though I hope not.

    --
    Hallvard
    Hallvard Tangeraas, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Hallvard Tangeraas <> wrote:

    >It contains a bunch of numbered folders, each one seemingly
    >containing whatever has been imported in a session, but how do I
    >choose/access these folders when I'm using the program?

    It's a very confusing program. You may want to look at the latest
    release of Nikon View and use a third party editing program like
    Photoshop Elements 3.

    One of the options on import is to put each new import into a separate
    folder. You'll have to find the import options and turn that off to
    stop that behavior. You can also choose the folder you want to use to
    import pictures there. Nikon uses the Microsoft security model
    default of the "My Documents" folder for each person logged on to an
    XP system to store imported pictures.
    Scott Peterson, Aug 19, 2005