    Can anyone explain how two versions of a photo can be saved in the
    same folder and file.
    TIA
    Daryl, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Daryl

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Daryl" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 4600 and began using the included
    > Nikon Picture Project software.
    > I noticed that both my original photo and the edited copy are both
    > somehow saved together under one (the same) file name. Example:
    > After burning the edited photo to a CD and deleting all traces of the
    > files from my hard drive, I can still toggle the original/edited pics
    > using the Picture Project software if I import the file from the CD.
    > I can only view the orginal if I view it through Picture Project - I
    > cannot see it using any other software (I can only see the edited
    > version).
    > Can anyone explain how two versions of a photo can be saved in the
    > same folder and file.
    > TIA

    No idea how it's done from a programming point of view, but evidently the
    original is just concealed in some way as far as other software is
    concerned. You'll notice that when you use Picture Project to edit (even
    very slightly, as with Auto Redeye, etc.) the file size approximately
    doubles. So apparently it saves a whole separate, second image in the same
    file and makes the original unreadable by ordinary means.

    N.
    Nostrobino, Aug 2, 2005

  3. Daryl

    Ray Guest

    You know...I have seen that too. If no one here knows the answers, you
    can try posting in "nikonians" or send an email to Nikon tech support.

    Ray, Aug 3, 2005
  4. Daryl

    Ray Guest

    Also..you should have spent the money for more telephoto like I said!

    Ray, Aug 3, 2005
  5. Daryl

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Ray" <> wrote in message
    > Also..you should have spent the money for more telephoto like I said!

    He may be perfectly satisfied with the 3x zoom of the 4600. My sister has
    the 4100 (earlier version of the 4600) and she loves it. The 35-105mm
    (equivalent) range is probably ideal for most people. A friend of mine
    bought a 35mm SLR some years ago with a 35-105 and never felt any need to
    add another lens.

    N.
    Nostrobino, Aug 3, 2005