    system)
    It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
    deal with this.

    Frederick, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Frederick

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:02:35 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Frederick
    <> wrote:

    >I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem
    >with this software.
    >Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
    > Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed etc.
    >System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
    >system)
    >It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
    >deal with this.

    Dump PP and dl NikonView from the Nikon Tech Support website.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Apr 1, 2005

  3. Frederick

    paul Guest

    Nikon Capture is pretty slow with raw files also.

    paul, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Frederick

    Frederick Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:02:35 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Frederick
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem
    >>with this software.
    >>Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
    >> Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed etc.
    >>System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
    >>system)
    >>It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
    >>deal with this.

    > Dump PP and dl NikonView from the Nikon Tech Support website.

    Thanks for that - I have a trial Nikon View from the disks that came
    with the camera. I am waiting for delivery/availabilty (New Zealand) of
    a printer (Epson R1800) before I give the one month trial a go.
    Your reply didn't quite answer my question - but I think you are saying
    that Nikon View is much better.

    Frederick, Apr 1, 2005
  5. Frederick

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:21:30 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Frederick
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for that - I have a trial Nikon View from the disks that came
    >with the camera.

    I think you mean Nikon Capture. That's what the trial should be for.
    NikonView is what used to be bundled with cameras before PP. It's got a
    much better interface. It's free off the website. But you will see how
    "quick" things are with it. Takes around 4 sec for a NEF I drag and drop
    onto open Capture on a n XP3200+, but I'm also running a raid 0 drive with
    two WD 10krmp Raptor sata drives.

    > I am waiting for delivery/availabilty (New Zealand) of
    >a printer (Epson R1800) before I give the one month trial a go.
    >Your reply didn't quite answer my question - but I think you are saying
    >that Nikon View is much better.

    Again yes. The PP interface is just brain dead imo. NV's interface is
    similar to Capture without all the added controls for adjusting the raw
    conversion process. I used NV to convert raw from my 5700. when I'd shoot
    it once in a while. Now that I mostly shoot raw, I'm using Capture. I don't
    use either to print to an R800. For that I use Qimage.

    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Apr 1, 2005
  6. Frederick

    LarryLOOK Guest

    "Frederick" <> wrote in message
    > I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem with
    > this software.
    > Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
    > Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed etc.
    > System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
    > system)
    > It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
    > deal with this.

    Noone uses PP. The mere mention of it brings me nightmares. Downoad nikon
    view and give it a try (free and not a trial version). Think about elements
    3, not expensive and does a lot! Handles nef files. Picasa 2 is free from
    googe and I love it. Handles nef files (but no raw converter). Rawshooter
    essentials is free -decent raw converter. Good luck.

    LarryLOOK, Apr 1, 2005
  7. Frederick

    Jim Guest

    "LarryLOOK" <> wrote in message

    > "Frederick" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm wondering if it's just me - or if this is a more general problem

    with
    > > this software.
    > > Viewing NEF images using Picture Project is painfully slow on my system.
    > > Very slow, unresponsive, and "blocky" redrawing if images are zoomed

    etc.
    > > System is AMD 2400 / 512mb / Ti4200 128mb / XP SP2 (a clean virus-free
    > > system)
    > > It ain't the latest and greatest - but should be plenty fast enough to
    > > deal with this.

    > Noone uses PP. The mere mention of it brings me nightmares. Downoad

    nikon
    > view and give it a try (free and not a trial version). Think about

    elements
    > 3, not expensive and does a lot! Handles nef files. Picasa 2 is free

    from
    > googe and I love it. Handles nef files (but no raw converter).

    Rawshooter
    > essentials is free -decent raw converter. Good luck.

    It is even easier to just use a card reader and Photoshop. The only
    advantage for any of the other things is that they clean out the card for
    you.
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 1, 2005
  8. Frederick

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > It is even easier to just use a card reader and Photoshop. The only
    > advantage for any of the other things is that they clean out the card for
    > you.
    > Jim

    Not for me, as Photoshop CS doesn't have a RAW converter for my Nikon D2X

    Tom Scales, Apr 1, 2005