Nikon new release D7100

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Feb 22, 2013.

  1. Rob

    David Taylor Guest

    On 14/03/2013 12:29, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > David Taylor <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you read what I wrote, I'm saying that we may be approaching, or we
    >> may have reached, a "sufficiently high" pixel density for many people
    >> for much of the time. That's not an unqualified "are".

    > Which means that for some people it's most of the time
    > unacceptable and for others on the average (pulling a number
    > out of thin air (or is it a vacuum?)) every 10th or 20th image
    > has problems. :)
    >
    > Personally, I want the camera to fail me only very rarely
    > compared to the times where I make the mistake. But that's me.
    >
    > What percentage of aliasing-degraded or -ruined, potentially
    > unrepeatable shots (North polar cruise, graduation/award
    > presentation, your child shaking the hand of Mr. President,
    > raising the (second) flag on Iwo Jima, ...) are you willing
    > to accept for the missing AA filter?
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    I don't know what percentage of images taken with the D800E (or D7100)
    would be unacceptable - perhaps users of those cameras will be kind
    enough to tell us (D7100 in due course). Clearly, you would prefer the
    lower percentage that having an AA filter produces, as would I on a
    relatively low pixel count camera.

    I'm not fussed about most of the situations you mention. I have been on
    both an Antarctic cruise and one around Svalbard, and aliasing or not
    was the least of my photographic worries. Exposure, cold batteries, and
    preventing the camera from getting wet were of far greater concern!

    But I take your point. Do you deliberately go for cameras with a
    stronger AA filter, with even lower risk?
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Mar 14, 2013
    1. Advertising

  2. Rob

    David Taylor Guest

    On 13/03/2013 18:46, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    []
    > Now, your 18 MPix compact camera ... how many pixels would
    > that be on FF, and what's the widest aperture possible (and
    > what would be the equivalent aperture for an FF camera,
    > regarding airy disk size) and how good _is_ the lens?
    >
    > These limits may well be so that any possible airy disk of
    > that (unchangeable) combination of optically average, possibly
    > quite slow lens and humungous pixel density must cover several
    > pixels --- in which case an AA filter --- as I understand it
    > --- can't help anyways and can therefore be safely omitted.
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    I've not done the sums on that camera. Maximum lens aperture is f/2.8.
    Of course, when looked at 1:1 18 MP images from a compact camera have
    far more problems than aliasing! But you are right - it may be that
    with that combination the AA filter provides little or no benefit.

    Having a camera with a 27 - 810 mm equivalent range weighing just 583
    grams more than makes up for image imperfections - at least in daylight.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Mar 14, 2013
    1. Advertising

  3. > Yes, for some purposes it has been reached: shooting
    > pictures of very smooth blank walls that have zero
    > texture.
    >
    > Do you do that often?
    >
    > If you so much as have a fly land on that wall, it will
    > have detail above the Nyquist Limit.

    But ... the fly will not have moire! Its true that my Canon 7D,
    even WITH an AA filter will do serious moire if I take a picture of
    my LCD TV screen at exactly the wrong distance. Very serious!
    And that's using ANY of my five lenses! But in real use I notice no problems.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Mar 14, 2013
  4. David Taylor <> wrote:
    > On 13/03/2013 18:46, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > []
    >> Now, your 18 MPix compact camera ... how many pixels would
    >> that be on FF, and what's the widest aperture possible (and
    >> what would be the equivalent aperture for an FF camera,
    >> regarding airy disk size) and how good _is_ the lens?

    >> These limits may well be so that any possible airy disk of
    >> that (unchangeable) combination of optically average, possibly
    >> quite slow lens and humungous pixel density must cover several
    >> pixels --- in which case an AA filter --- as I understand it
    >> --- can't help anyways and can therefore be safely omitted.

    > I've not done the sums on that camera. Maximum lens aperture is f/2.8.
    > Of course, when looked at 1:1 18 MP images from a compact camera have
    > far more problems than aliasing!

    The main problems are too high expectations and too high
    expectations. :)

    > But you are right - it may be that
    > with that combination the AA filter provides little or no benefit.

    > Having a camera with a 27 - 810 mm equivalent range weighing just 583
    > grams more than makes up for image imperfections - at least in daylight.

    There's quite obviously a market and need.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 15, 2013
  5. Rob

    Guest

    This is my 4th DSLR. Before this, I had a Kodak DCS-460c, a D70, and a D80.The latter two are still very capable cameras as long as you're not too obsessed about pixel peeking. When it comes to actual images, I had a hard time finding fault with either. I just used the D70 to shoot some downhill longboarding this past summer, and the high flash sync helped me grab some pretty great shots in poor lighting conditions. In fact, I'd probably still be using it primarily if I hadn't dropped it about a year after buying it. Ireplaced it immediately (out of necessity) with a D80, which has been a workhorse of a camera (a year and a half ago, I figured out the problem with my D70 and fixed it myself, that's how I was able to use it again more recently).

    , Apr 16, 2013