    All opinions are mine and do not represent the views or
    policies of my employer.
    R Pradeep Chandran rpc AT pobox DOT com

    Pradeep Chandran, Oct 17, 2006

  2. Pradeep Chandran

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 in rec.photo.digital, Pradeep Chandran wrote:

    > I am using Nikon Picture Project to convert the NEF (D70s)
    > files to JPEG. I found that the ISO setting used is not seen in the
    > EXIF info added to the JPEG files when seen in Irfan View. It is not
    > shown in Windows explorer either. I need a NEF (D70s) converter that
    > can handle this and allow a bit of tweaking (sharpness, white balance
    > etc). Preferably one that doesn't cost a lot.

    UFRaw recently added the transfer of EXIF information from NEFs to JPEGs.
    It doesn't look as if ISO is one of the fields it transfers, though.

    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Pradeep Chandran

    Wilfred Guest

    Pradeep Chandran wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I am using Nikon Picture Project to convert the NEF (D70s)
    > files to JPEG. I found that the ISO setting used is not seen in the
    > EXIF info added to the JPEG files when seen in Irfan View. It is not
    > shown in Windows explorer either. I need a NEF (D70s) converter that
    > can handle this and allow a bit of tweaking (sharpness, white balance
    > etc). Preferably one that doesn't cost a lot.

    Try NikonView, which can be freely downloaded from Nikon:
    www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=276&productNr=NikonView.

    --

    Wilfred van der Vegte.
    e-mail: first five letters of my first name at gmx dot net

    Wilfred, Oct 17, 2006
  4. On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:25:27 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Wilfred
    <> wrote:

    >Pradeep Chandran wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >> I am using Nikon Picture Project to convert the NEF (D70s)
    >> files to JPEG. I found that the ISO setting used is not seen in the
    >> EXIF info added to the JPEG files when seen in Irfan View. It is not
    >> shown in Windows explorer either. I need a NEF (D70s) converter that
    >> can handle this and allow a bit of tweaking (sharpness, white balance
    >> etc). Preferably one that doesn't cost a lot.

    >Try NikonView, which can be freely downloaded from Nikon:
    >www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=276&productNr=NikonView.

    FWIW, The Nikon Editor V6.2.2 with the last version of NikonView I have
    installed does NOT set the ISO in the EXIF header so it can be read by
    Irfanview/PSP8/PSE3. NV itself can read the ISO value as set in the jpg.
    Nikon Capture Editor 4.x will do this correctly. I can't speak for any
    later version of the editor with NV. PSE3/ACR works OK, as does my old
    version of RSE (no longer available).
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 17, 2006
  5. "Pradeep Chandran" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All,
    > I am using Nikon Picture Project to convert the NEF (D70s)
    > files to JPEG. I found that the ISO setting used is not seen in the
    > EXIF info added to the JPEG files when seen in Irfan View. It is not
    > shown in Windows explorer either. I need a NEF (D70s) converter that
    > can handle this and allow a bit of tweaking (sharpness, white balance
    > etc). Preferably one that doesn't cost a lot.
    > Have a nice day,
    > Pradeep

    The D70s stores the ISO setting in the "makernote" EXIF information.

    eg:

    ISO 2 - 13107200

    The correct ISO is "200", so I'm not sure why the D70s records it as
    "13107200".

    Adrian Boliston, Oct 18, 2006
  6. On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:44:29 GMT, Joe Makowiec
    <> wrote:
    >On 17 Oct 2006 in rec.photo.digital, Pradeep Chandran wrote:
    >> I am using Nikon Picture Project to convert the NEF (D70s)
    >> files to JPEG. I found that the ISO setting used is not seen in the
    >> EXIF info added to the JPEG files when seen in Irfan View. It is not
    >> shown in Windows explorer either. I need a NEF (D70s) converter that
    >> can handle this and allow a bit of tweaking (sharpness, white balance
    >> etc). Preferably one that doesn't cost a lot.

    >UFRaw recently added the transfer of EXIF information from NEFs to JPEGs.
    >It doesn't look as if ISO is one of the fields it transfers, though.

    I tried UFRaw and it is impressive. It shows the ISO setting properly
    when viewed in the tool but does not write this info to the JPEG. I
    use GIMP for what little manipulation I do and UFRaw is an excellent
    addition to GIMP. Hopefully, bulk conversion and ISO (and WB) writing
    will be available in future versions.

    Thanks,
    Pradeep

    Pradeep Chandran, Oct 24, 2006