    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    Barb Bowman, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Barb Bowman

    Guest

    I just installed the codec as well and have not been able to get photo
    gallery to add an nikon raw files.I will play around with it a bit more
    tomorrow and post if I have any success.

    -rnr

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > Nikon has finally posted their RAW codec plugin for Vista Photo
    > Gallery
    >
    > http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/
    >
    > I've been unable to get it to work in x64. It installs. (follow the
    > directions carefully) but photo gallery does not recognize it even
    > after the required reboot.
    >
    > I'd like confirmation from another Nikon user with a supported
    > camera before I started screaming.
    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP
    , Jan 27, 2007

  3. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > Nikon has finally posted their RAW codec plugin for Vista Photo
    > Gallery
    >
    > http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/
    >
    > I've been unable to get it to work in x64. It installs. (follow the
    > directions carefully) but photo gallery does not recognize it even
    > after the required reboot.
    >
    > I'd like confirmation from another Nikon user with a supported
    > camera before I started screaming.
    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP
    , Jan 27, 2007
  4. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    "Discussion Thread
    Response (David D.) - 01/27/2007 09:03 PM
    HI

    Thanks for the question. The current codec is only for 32 bit
    versions of Vista. At this time we do not offer support for the 64
    bit version. Sorry.

    -David

    Thanks for using Nikon products!"

    Barb Bowman, Jan 28, 2007
  5. Barb Bowman

    Jane C Guest

    It would be helpful if they were to clarify that on the download or
    requirements page. I find it really quite irritating when companies
    advertise a product as being "Vista compatible" without mentioning that they
    actually only mean 32 bit Vista compatible.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Jan 28, 2007
  6. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Vista Windows Photo Gallery also keeps prompting to download this
    codec until you turn off the prompting. The MS PIX team also should
    disclose things properly. I've posted a comment on
    http://blogs.msdn.com/pix/ and I see that someone else posted that
    if you install the codec (on x86) you lose the ability to EDIT NEF
    files in external programs until you uninstall the codec.

    Barb Bowman, Jan 28, 2007
  7. Re: Nikon NEF codec for Vista (Do NOT install!)

    No, it is worse. Fist of all I you can't deinstall the codec - wich mean you
    can call the deinstallation routine bot the codec is still there after rebot-
    and secound you are not able to edit your files because the files are changed
    (corrupted?). You can reinstall your computer or give them to a friend -
    nothing works, all files gone :-(

    You can view them in Windows but Lightroom, Photoshop, Picasa or Paintshop
    can't read them anymore - maybe there is a raw converter from Microsoft about
    to be released...

    Tobias

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9iaWFz?=, Jan 30, 2007
  8. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Re: Nikon NEF codec for Vista (Do NOT install!)

    I was able to uninstall the Nikon codec just fine. Did you install
    on x64 or x86 because from your description, if you can view in
    Windows, then it sounds like x86.

    Barb Bowman, Jan 30, 2007