nikon mount digital SLR's

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mah, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. mah

    mah Guest

    New to this group so if I'm violating any FAQ's or rules, please be
    kind. My news server has been dumping messages at irregular intervals
    so following some of the ongoing threads is a little tough.

    Almost 30 years in traditional film photography with a reasonable
    selection of Nikkor lenses in original F mount and AI mount. I'd like
    to convert to a digital SLR and not have to replace all my lenses.

    I know I'll lose features by not having the newest AF lenses. But I
    don't really use autofocus that often. I'd rather control it manually
    for some shots. The main goal is selecting the best lens for the task,
    adjusting shutter speed & f stop, and getting a good quality image.

    Is there a good web site giving reviews of the different cameras that
    will accept Nikon glass? Let's see - Nikon, Fuji, Kodak, and who else?

    Thanks in advance

    MAH

    mah, Feb 8, 2004

  2. mah

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>, mah <> wrote:

    > New to this group so if I'm violating any FAQ's or rules, please be
    > kind. My news server has been dumping messages at irregular intervals
    > so following some of the ongoing threads is a little tough.
    >
    > Almost 30 years in traditional film photography with a reasonable
    > selection of Nikkor lenses in original F mount and AI mount. I'd like
    > to convert to a digital SLR and not have to replace all my lenses.
    >
    > I know I'll lose features by not having the newest AF lenses. But I
    > don't really use autofocus that often. I'd rather control it manually
    > for some shots. The main goal is selecting the best lens for the task,
    > adjusting shutter speed & f stop, and getting a good quality image.
    >
    > Is there a good web site giving reviews of the different cameras that
    > will accept Nikon glass? Let's see - Nikon, Fuji, Kodak, and who else?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > MAH

    Kaiser

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Feb 8, 2004

  3. "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, mah <> wrote:
    >

    > > MAH

    > Kaiser

    The Kaiser is a lump, not truly a DSLR, it' was designed as a copy camera.
    Full resolution scan time is 200 seconds. It also has to be tethered to the
    PC or Mac.

    Cite: http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/infos/1-1-2-1.htm

    ~ Darrell Larose ~, Feb 8, 2004
  4. mah

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article
    <SCtVb.34244$>,
    "~ Darrell Larose ~" <> wrote:

    > "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, mah <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > MAH

    > > Kaiser
    > >

    > The Kaiser is a lump, not truly a DSLR, it' was designed as a copy camera.
    > Full resolution scan time is 200 seconds. It also has to be tethered to the
    > PC or Mac.
    >
    > Cite: http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/infos/1-1-2-1.htm

    Not quite.

    The Icoss 3 takes 30 seconds for a 48 mb file on a fast computer. And it
    is a SLR camera that takes Nikon lenses. Or on special order Leica
    lenses.
    http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/infos/1-1-2-2.htm

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Feb 8, 2004
  5. << Almost 30 years in traditional film photography with a reasonable
    selection of Nikkor lenses in original F mount and AI mount. I'd like
    to convert to a digital SLR and not have to replace all my lenses. >>

    MAH-

    There may be some digital cameras that accept Nikon AF lenses, but I don't
    think any will work with the manual ones.

    Take a look at http://www.novoflex.de/english/html/adapters.htm. It appears
    that the Novoflex adapter for Canon EOS (EOS/NIK) will allow limited use of
    some of your lenses. It costs around $180 at B&H.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Feb 8, 2004
  6. mah

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > There may be some digital cameras that accept Nikon AF lenses, but I don't
    > think any will work with the manual ones.

    All the Nikon DSLR's will take any Ai, Ai'd, Ais manual focus lenses with
    few exceptions..
    Some will meter with them. others will not.
    You, of course, have to use "manual" mode. I several AI, AIS primes I use
    with my D100.

    Jim

    Jim Waggener, Feb 8, 2004
  7. mah

    KBob Guest

    On 08 Feb 2004 19:10:51 GMT, (Fred McKenzie) wrote:

    ><< Almost 30 years in traditional film photography with a reasonable
    >selection of Nikkor lenses in original F mount and AI mount. I'd like
    >to convert to a digital SLR and not have to replace all my lenses. >>
    >
    >MAH-
    >
    >There may be some digital cameras that accept Nikon AF lenses, but I don't
    >think any will work with the manual ones.
    >
    >Take a look at http://www.novoflex.de/english/html/adapters.htm. It appears
    >that the Novoflex adapter for Canon EOS (EOS/NIK) will allow limited use of
    >some of your lenses. It costs around $180 at B&H.
    >
    >Fred

    All of your older manual focus Nikkor lenses will work fine with the
    D100, D1X, Kodak 14n, etc. except for a few that either don't fit
    because they are pre-AI, or in the case of the 14n, the body
    protrusion in front prevents mounting certain lenses. Your pre-"D"
    lenses won't autofocus or provide in-camera exposure metering (except
    for the D1X), but the correct focus indicator can assist with manual
    focus adjustment. Better start looking in the closet for your
    exposure meter. You can also use any of your Nikon accessories, such
    as the PB-4 bellows, 1.5 and 2X adapters, etc. I'd suggest you visit
    www.dpreview.com for reviews of currently manufactured DSLRs, since
    they provide the compatibility info you're looking for.

    KBob, Feb 8, 2004
  8. mah

    AArDvarK Guest

    Nikon, Fuji s2 pro and Kodak all accept your lenses,
    but you will also lose light metering ... sorry.
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 8, 2004
  9. For around USD $90 you can have many old MF Nikkors converted to the new CPU
    mount. I lost the URL of one fellow who does this transplant. I'll try to
    dig it up.

    ~ Darrell Larose ~, Feb 9, 2004
  10. mah

    Gavin Cato Guest

    "Fred McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    > << Almost 30 years in traditional film photography with a reasonable
    > selection of Nikkor lenses in original F mount and AI mount. I'd like
    > to convert to a digital SLR and not have to replace all my lenses. >>
    >
    > MAH-
    >
    > There may be some digital cameras that accept Nikon AF lenses, but I don't
    > think any will work with the manual ones.

    They will all work with the manual ones. However only the pro bodies will
    give you metering.

    Gavin Cato, Feb 9, 2004
  11. mah

    Gavin Cato Guest

    > Your pre-"D"
    > lenses won't autofocus or provide in-camera exposure metering (except
    > for the D1X), but the correct focus indicator can assist with manual
    > focus adjustment.

    And the D1,D1H,D2H.

    Gavin Cato, Feb 9, 2004
  12. mah

    Gavin Cato Guest

    A bit of misinformation in the replies so far.

    Your lenses will fit the new slr's no probs.

    However it will not meter on these bodies ;

    D100/D70
    Kodak 14N
    Fuji S1/S2

    You can either bring along a light meter or use the histogram and work out
    the correct exposure that way.

    You will get metering on these bodies ;

    D1
    D1h
    D1x
    D2h

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Feb 9, 2004
  13. mah

    Marc Fraioli Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 07:19:26 +0000, Gavin Cato wrote:

    > "Fred McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    >> << Almost 30 years in traditional film photography with a reasonable
    >> selection of Nikkor lenses in original F mount and AI mount. I'd like
    >> to convert to a digital SLR and not have to replace all my lenses. >>
    >>
    >> MAH-
    >>
    >> There may be some digital cameras that accept Nikon AF lenses, but I don't
    >> think any will work with the manual ones.

    > They will all work with the manual ones. However only the pro bodies will
    > give you metering.

    I've heard this many times and I believe you, but why is that exactly,
    anyway? The light meter is in the camera, not the lens, right? Why can't
    it see through old lenses and make a determination as well as through new
    ones? I understand that Program mode won't work with a lens that doesn't
    have a provision for letting the camera control the aperture, and I
    understand that the whizzy 3D Matrix metering won't work with a lens that
    doesn't have a CPU to relate the focus distance back to the body, but why
    can't it provide center-weighted or spot metering with an old manual lens?

    Marc

    Marc Fraioli, Feb 9, 2004
  14. "Marc Fraioli" <> wrote in message
    1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
    > I've heard this many times and I believe you, but why is that
    > exactly, anyway? The light meter is in the camera, not the lens,
    > right?

    Correct.

    > Why can't it see through old lenses and make a determination as well
    > as through new ones?

    It could. What these cameras can not do is determine the aperture
    set on the lens, so a reading other than at wide open would require
    the user to use stop-down metering via the depth of field preview
    button.

    Nikon could have chosen to provide this minimal capability, full
    operation up to but not including 3D metering (as in the FA) or
    anything in between (F5, F100), but chose not to for the D70, D100
    and newer "consumer" film cameras.

    --
    Michael Benveniste --
    Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email

    Michael Benveniste, Feb 9, 2004
  15. mah

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <c08e01$14k7js$-berlin.de>,
    "Michael Benveniste" <> wrote:

    > > Why can't it see through old lenses and make a determination as well
    > > as through new ones?

    If there are no coupling pins or mechanical links or electronic contacts
    it would have to meter at taking aperture. Not open aperture.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Feb 9, 2004
  16. mah

    Marc Fraioli Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:54:23 -0500, Michael Benveniste wrote:
    >> Why can't it see through old lenses and make a determination as well
    >> as through new ones?

    > It could. What these cameras can not do is determine the aperture
    > set on the lens, so a reading other than at wide open would require
    > the user to use stop-down metering via the depth of field preview
    > button.

    Gotcha. Thanks!

    Marc

    Marc Fraioli, Feb 9, 2004
  17. mah

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    KBob wrote:

    > Your pre-"D" lenses won't autofocus or provide in-camera exposure
    > metering (except for the D1X), but the correct focus indicator can
    > assist with manual focus adjustment.

    Not true, many (if not all) AF lenses from the mid and late 80's work
    perfectly with the D100, autofocus metering et al, except of course
    for the rather useless 3D matrix metering.

    "D" lenses only came around in the mid 90's.

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 10, 2004