    doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
    The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
    pancake and a superzoom.

    Bruce, Sep 2, 2011

  2. Bruce

    MG Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > There is apparently less than three weeks to go to the announcement of
    > Nikon's mirrorless system. The system is based on a sensor smaller
    > than Micro Four Thirds (MFT).
    >
    > The Nikon mirrorless system will have an effective focal length
    > multiplier of 2.7 compared to full frame/25mm film. The MFT sensor
    > has an a multiplier of 2.0.
    >
    > Nikon must be hoping that the small sensor will prevent the new system
    > doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
    > The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
    > pancake and a superzoom.

    A compact interchangeable lens system. Makes sense to me.

    Better than a Nikon P500. With much better ISO capabiltiy

    MG

    MG, Sep 2, 2011

  3. Bruce

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > There is apparently less than three weeks to go to the announcement of
    > Nikon's mirrorless system. The system is based on a sensor smaller
    > than Micro Four Thirds (MFT).
    >
    > The Nikon mirrorless system will have an effective focal length
    > multiplier of 2.7 compared to full frame/25mm film. The MFT sensor
    > has an a multiplier of 2.0.
    >
    > Nikon must be hoping that the small sensor will prevent the new system
    > doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
    > The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
    > pancake and a superzoom.

    Nice to have a smaller camera, but for critical uses, I'm afraid it will be
    a case of "I wish I would've brought the D3, D300, or D700 along instead".

    Tim Conway, Sep 2, 2011
  4. Bruce

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/2/2011 11:07 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-09-02 04:59:08 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >
    >> There is apparently less than three weeks to go to the announcement of
    >> Nikon's mirrorless system. The system is based on a sensor smaller
    >> than Micro Four Thirds (MFT).
    >>
    >> The Nikon mirrorless system will have an effective focal length
    >> multiplier of 2.7 compared to full frame/25mm film. The MFT sensor
    >> has an a multiplier of 2.0.
    >>
    >> Nikon must be hoping that the small sensor will prevent the new system
    >> doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
    >> The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
    >> pancake and a superzoom.
    >>

    > I guess you meant 35mm film rather than "full frame/25mm"?

    I wonder if this announcement is as accurate as his last.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 2, 2011
  5. On Sep 2, 8:29 am, "Tim Conway" <> wrote:

    > Nice to have a smaller camera, but for critical uses, I'm afraid it will be
    > a case of  "I wish I would've brought the D3, D300, or D700 along instead".

    Since 2005, I have owned a P&S that I carry at times
    when I'm not carrying my SLR. Sure, sometimes
    I might think "Wish I had my D700!". But more often
    I think "Glad I've got something better than my
    cell phone!"

    Life is all compromises, and bringing the full
    photo kit everywhere has NEVER been my
    habit. I carry it quite a lot compared to a lot
    of amateurs, but nowhere near full-time.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 2, 2011
  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Bruce <> wrote in
    >
    >> There is apparently less than three weeks to go to the announcement of
    >> Nikon's mirrorless system. The system is based on a sensor smaller
    >> than Micro Four Thirds (MFT).
    >>
    >> The Nikon mirrorless system will have an effective focal length
    >> multiplier of 2.7 compared to full frame/25mm film. The MFT sensor
    >> has an a multiplier of 2.0.

    >From a sensor perspective, it's:
    >1. Sony NEX and Fuji
    >2. m4/3rds and Samsung

    In your opinion, perhaps. But in the marketplace, a Samsung CSC with
    a 20 MP APS-C sensor ranks somewhere between a 16 MP Sony NEX-5N and a
    24 MP Sony NEX-7.

    >3. Nikon
    >4. Pentax

    The Pentax Q system is a joke. Coupled with the Ricoh takeover, this
    system suggests that Pentax has entered terminal decline.

    >> Nikon must be hoping that the small sensor will prevent the new system
    >> doing much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.
    >> The launch will include two camera bodies and four lenses, including a
    >> pancake and a superzoom.
    >>

    >Cynical and stupid of them. If the world goes for these, they'll only
    >suffer. They've made mistakes before that cost them the number 1 spot.
    >Lets hope they don't do it again.

    You cannot deny that a CSC with a 2.7X sensor is unlikely to do too
    much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs. That
    would appear to the basis of Nikon's decision. Time alone will tell
    whether the Nikon CSCs will be a commercial success in their own
    right.

    I wouldn't consider buying one, and I imagine you wouldn't either, but
    we are not in Nikon's target market which is people upgrading from a
    point and shoot digicam with a tiny, noisy sensor.

    All we need now is for Sigma to offer lenses for the new Nikon format.
    ;-)

    Bruce, Sep 3, 2011
  7. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >Bruce wrote:
    >> Rich<> wrote:
    >>> Cynical and stupid of them. If the world goes for these, they'll only
    >>> suffer. They've made mistakes before that cost them the number 1 spot.
    >>> Lets hope they don't do it again.

    >> You cannot deny that a CSC with a 2.7X sensor is unlikely to do too
    >> much damage to the strong market for Nikon's entry level DSLRs.

    >If it was a success, there would be no need to protect DSLR sales.

    That's a good point.

    >I'd guess they actually think a CSC is not worth designing for 4/3 or larger
    >but it's easy enough to come up with an interchangeable lens "P&S"
    >small-sensor model at a price that makes sense for that market.

    I think Nikon would probably have made an APS-C CSC if that market
    wasn't already well served by Sony and Samsung. The problem is, what
    could Nikon offer that was genuinely new and different and would not
    damage the profitable sales of Nikon's APS-C DSLRs?

    Full frame wouldn't be an option for Nikon because of high cost, so
    the only way to go was smaller. A 2.7X multiplier is only slightly
    smaller than Micro Four Thirds, and Nikon's sensors are likely to be
    significantly better than Panasonic's, so class-leading image quality
    is a distinct possibility, all without damaging the profitability of
    Nikon's APS-C DSLRs. It's a gamble, but probably one worth taking.

    Meanwhile, Pentax went smaller still. Much smaller. The Q System
    sensor is ridiculously small and cannot ever hope to compete on image
    quality with any existing CSCs, nor with Nikon's. So Nikon has a
    niche all its own, but still with the probability of matching, and
    possibly beating Panasonic and Olympus for IQ.

    The two remaining questions are, where will Canon and Leica position
    their CSCs? Information leaked from Canon suggests a sensor around
    the size of Four Thirds, or slightly smaller, with a 3:2 aspect ratio.
    Leica's own statements show their intention is to fit a sensor to
    their CSC that is APS-C size or larger. Full frame hasn't been ruled
    out. One of its key markets is people who own Leica R System lenses
    for which Leica doesn't currently offer a digital solution. This
    won't be a mass market product.

    Bruce, Sep 4, 2011