Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mirko, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Mirko

    Mirko Guest

    Hello everybody
    I apoligise for any possible mistakes in this message.
    I own a Nikon LS-2000 scanner. When I purchased it, the firmware version
    was 1.2, and the quality of the scanned images was absolutely stunning.
    Since the new 1.3 firmware was available on Nikon's website, I decided to
    upgrade the scanner, mainly because one of the features of the new firmware
    was the speed improvement of the scanning operation.
    And it's true, with the 1.3 the scan of a slide takes less then half the
    time it used to take with the old firmware... but... unfortunately also the
    quality of the scan is less than half the one it used to be !
    I've read every possible faq, I've tried every possible setting of the Nikon
    scan software, enabled/disabled colour managing options dozens and dozens of
    times, but with no success.
    Now I would like to downgrade my LS-2000 to the old firmware 1.2. I have
    downloaded the program to write the 1.2 firmware in the
    scanner, but it obviously checks the version of the scanner's firmware and
    aborts saying that it doesn't need to be updated.
    Can anyone please help me ? Has anyone had the same problem ?
    Thank you in advance for your attention and best wishes for Happy Xmas
    Mirko
    ilmagnificoREPLACETHISWITHATzapoREPLACETHISWITHDOTnet

    Mirko, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Mirko

    Mark M Guest

    "Mirko" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody
    > I apoligise for any possible mistakes in this message.
    > I own a Nikon LS-2000 scanner. When I purchased it, the firmware version
    > was 1.2, and the quality of the scanned images was absolutely stunning.
    > Since the new 1.3 firmware was available on Nikon's website, I decided to
    > upgrade the scanner, mainly because one of the features of the new

    firmware
    > was the speed improvement of the scanning operation.
    > And it's true, with the 1.3 the scan of a slide takes less then half the
    > time it used to take with the old firmware... but... unfortunately also

    the
    > quality of the scan is less than half the one it used to be !
    > I've read every possible faq, I've tried every possible setting of the

    Nikon
    > scan software, enabled/disabled colour managing options dozens and dozens

    of
    > times, but with no success.
    > Now I would like to downgrade my LS-2000 to the old firmware 1.2. I have
    > downloaded the program to write the 1.2 firmware in the
    > scanner, but it obviously checks the version of the scanner's firmware and
    > aborts saying that it doesn't need to be updated.
    > Can anyone please help me ? Has anyone had the same problem ?
    > Thank you in advance for your attention and best wishes for Happy Xmas

    I've had this same problem, and have basically given up on my LS-2000.
    I don't need to try and express the level of frustration/anger I feel about
    this...

    Mark M, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Mirko

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Mark M wrote:
    > "Mirko" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello everybody
    >>I apoligise for any possible mistakes in this message.
    >>I own a Nikon LS-2000 scanner. When I purchased it, the firmware version
    >>was 1.2, and the quality of the scanned images was absolutely stunning.
    >>Since the new 1.3 firmware was available on Nikon's website, I decided to
    >>upgrade the scanner, mainly because one of the features of the new

    > firmware
    >
    >>was the speed improvement of the scanning operation.
    >>And it's true, with the 1.3 the scan of a slide takes less then half the
    >>time it used to take with the old firmware... but... unfortunately also

    > the
    >
    >>quality of the scan is less than half the one it used to be !
    >>I've read every possible faq, I've tried every possible setting of the

    > Nikon
    >
    >>scan software, enabled/disabled colour managing options dozens and dozens

    > of
    >
    >>times, but with no success.
    >>Now I would like to downgrade my LS-2000 to the old firmware 1.2. I have
    >>downloaded the program to write the 1.2 firmware in the
    >>scanner, but it obviously checks the version of the scanner's firmware and
    >>aborts saying that it doesn't need to be updated.
    >>Can anyone please help me ? Has anyone had the same problem ?
    >>Thank you in advance for your attention and best wishes for Happy Xmas

    > I've had this same problem, and have basically given up on my LS-2000.
    > I don't need to try and express the level of frustration/anger I feel about
    > this...

    Just a thought... I don't have one (wish I did! :) but
    perhaps if sufficient numbers of you are disappointed you
    just may be able to complain en masse and have Nikon
    release a copy that doesn't check prior version?

    The best of the holiday to you and to yours.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Mirko

    Bruce Graham Guest

    In article <BmRFb.21691$J77.19862@fed1read07>, says...

    > "Mirko" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello everybody
    > > I apoligise for any possible mistakes in this message.
    > > I own a Nikon LS-2000 scanner. When I purchased it, the firmware version
    > > was 1.2, and the quality of the scanned images was absolutely stunning.
    > > Since the new 1.3 firmware was available on Nikon's website, I decided to
    > > upgrade the scanner, mainly because one of the features of the new

    > firmware
    > > was the speed improvement of the scanning operation.
    > > And it's true, with the 1.3 the scan of a slide takes less then half the
    > > time it used to take with the old firmware... but... unfortunately also

    > the
    > > quality of the scan is less than half the one it used to be !
    > > I've read every possible faq, I've tried every possible setting of the

    > Nikon
    > > scan software, enabled/disabled colour managing options dozens and dozens

    > of
    > > times, but with no success.
    > > Now I would like to downgrade my LS-2000 to the old firmware 1.2. I have
    > > downloaded the program to write the 1.2 firmware in the
    > > scanner, but it obviously checks the version of the scanner's firmware and
    > > aborts saying that it doesn't need to be updated.
    > > Can anyone please help me ? Has anyone had the same problem ?
    > > Thank you in advance for your attention and best wishes for Happy Xmas

    > I've had this same problem, and have basically given up on my LS-2000.
    > I don't need to try and express the level of frustration/anger I feel about
    > this...

    I don't have a LS2000, but have you tried Vuescan? You can get a free
    download of the trial version which produces watermarked output but this
    should be sufficient to evaluate the scan quality. I use it for nearly
    all my scanning (Canon in my case) instead of the mfrs software. He has
    ways to trick hardware.

    http://www.hamrick.com gets you there. It is only a 1.4M download. The
    user interface has a learning curve but is OK once you get used to it.

    If you already use it, pls accept my apologies.

    Bruce Graham

    Bruce Graham, Dec 23, 2003
  5. I'm not sure where the LS-2000 gets the version information but could you
    "fool" the scanner into thinking that 1.2 is really 1.4 and has a newer date
    than the faulty 1.3 version?

    try poking around the firmware file with a binary/hex editor or even a text
    editor and see if you can see a date/version number...

    There are several shareware programs at www.download.com that will edit hex
    (hexidecimal) and binary files.

    Best of luck,
    Mark

    Mark Durrenberger, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Mirko

    ShaneBooth Guest

    "Mirko" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody
    > I apoligise for any possible mistakes in this message.
    > I own a Nikon LS-2000 scanner. When I purchased it, the firmware version
    > was 1.2, and the quality of the scanned images was absolutely stunning.
    > Since the new 1.3 firmware was available on Nikon's website, I decided to
    > upgrade the scanner, mainly because one of the features of the new

    firmware
    > was the speed improvement of the scanning operation.
    > And it's true, with the 1.3 the scan of a slide takes less then half the
    > time it used to take with the old firmware... but... unfortunately also

    the
    > quality of the scan is less than half the one it used to be !
    > I've read every possible faq, I've tried every possible setting of the

    Nikon
    > scan software, enabled/disabled colour managing options dozens and dozens

    of
    > times, but with no success.
    > Now I would like to downgrade my LS-2000 to the old firmware 1.2. I have
    > downloaded the program to write the 1.2 firmware in the
    > scanner, but it obviously checks the version of the scanner's firmware and
    > aborts saying that it doesn't need to be updated.
    > Can anyone please help me ? Has anyone had the same problem ?
    > Thank you in advance for your attention and best wishes for Happy Xmas
    > Mirko
    > ilmagnificoREPLACETHISWITHATzapoREPLACETHISWITHDOTnet

    Don't have any information to help you but will be interested in anything
    that comes up. I have the same scanner with 1.3 but as I brought it 2nd hand
    I cannot compere it to the old firmware. Do you have any more information
    regarding this problem I would like to hear about it

    Shane

    ShaneBooth, Dec 25, 2003
  7. Mirko

    Mirko Guest

    Re: Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade *** I DID IT!

    I did it ! Your suggestion was right, I was already trying to debug the
    program to find where it tests the firmware version, but with no success.
    Instead, as you say, I found where it has the version number stored, tricked
    it and make it install the old firmware !
    And now my scanner is a brand new LS-2000 with 1.21 firmware version :))
    Thank you very much
    Ciao ciao
    Mirko

    Mirko, Dec 28, 2003
  8. Re: Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade *** I DID IT!

    Genius at your service ;-) (Humble too :)

    Glad it worked.

    Tell us where the firmware info is stored so if any of us need to try this
    out we'll know how to go about it...
    Also what program(s) did you use to edit the firmware file.

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Mark Durrenberger, Dec 29, 2003
  9. Mirko

    Mark M Guest

    "Mirko" <> wrote in message
    > I did it ! Your suggestion was right, I was already trying to debug the
    > program to find where it tests the firmware version, but with no success.
    > Instead, as you say, I found where it has the version number stored,

    tricked
    > it and make it install the old firmware !
    > And now my scanner is a brand new LS-2000 with 1.21 firmware version :))
    > Thank you very much
    > Ciao ciao
    > Mirko

    Could you please give some details about what you did to accomplish this?
    I would very much like to do the same, and would appreciate it very much--as
    my LS2000 has never been the same since the change.
    Also...what operating system are you running?
    Thank you for any info.
    -Mark M

    Mark M, Dec 29, 2003
  10. Mirko

    Mirko Guest

    Re: Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade EXPLANATION

    Hello folks
    Now that I have enough time, I'll explain the solution and how I got to it,
    on my PC which runs with Windows 98SE.
    Here is the whole mental/practical process, don't fall asleep in the middle
    of it :)

    Debugging the 1.21 firmware install program was a mess. The program
    interacts with external functions that fetch firmware information from the
    hardware, using calls in protected mode, etc.
    Thus I tried looking for a place in the program itself, where the version
    number is stored. I tried scanning the program for the couple of bytes 01
    15 (hex values equivalent to 1 and 21 in decimal), but nothing. Then for 15
    01, again nothing found.
    Then for 01 21, nothing. Then for 21 01, nothing.

    Then I noticed something : the firmware install programs have all the same
    length, 190k, and at glance the first part looks the same for all of them.
    In fact they consist of two parts : a first one which the installs the
    firmware, and a second one which is the firmware itself.

    Then I thought "what if I compare the firmware 1.21 install program with the
    1.31 one ?". So I did : from an MSDos command window I used the "fc"
    command to compare the two versions.
    The result of a compare is a long list of different bytes, which are
    contiguos, because of course the "second parts" of the two files are
    different, but...
    But the list of mismatches begins with a
    000117B7: 02 03
    Mmmmmm interesting... Let's try and compare the 1.12 program with the
    1.31... Here's the very first 2 differences between them :
    000117B7: 01 03
    000117B8: 02 01
    Elementary my dear Watson !!!! Is it really so easy ??? Yes it is ! Don't
    ask me why at the beginning I didn't scan the program also for 01 02 01
    because I wouldn't know what to say.
    At this point I immediatly hex-edited the 1.21 installation program (I use a
    free hex editor called XVI32) and changed the bytes
    000117B7: 02
    000117B8: 01
    into
    000117B7: 09
    000117B8: 09
    to make it think it's a 1.99 version.
    Then I took a deep breath and launched it : the program window said
    something like "Do you want to update the firmware to version 1.99 ?"... I
    took another deep breath and clicked on yes : ....update successful !!

    Then I opened Nikonscan and checked the window title bar : it said the
    firmware version was 1.21 !!! This means that the 02 01 at the address
    000117B7 must be just a value in the first part of the installer that is
    used to check if the firmare has to be updated, but it's not part of the
    firmware itself.
    Thus, if you change it to 09 09 you don't trick the firmware but only the
    installer !

    I tried the above method both with 1.12 and 1.21 firmware installers and
    they worked.

    To complete the restore, I have unistalled the Nikonscan 3.x and reinstalled
    the ole-n-good 2.2. Now the quality of the scanning is back to the
    original one, apart from the dust that in the meanwhile, since when I
    updated it with the 1.31 (years ago), has invaded the scanner !
    Next step is to clean the scanner lenses/ccd. Wish me luck because I'm
    doing it myself : I've asked an authorized Nikon service point for the cost
    of the operation but here in Italy the prices for these kind of things tend
    to be pretty (*u*king) high ! By the way if you have suggestions about the
    cleaning, please contribute. I've found some websites that explain how to
    do it, but if someone has tried it and wants to share informations, I'm all
    ears.

    Thanks to you all, have a Happy New Year and... th-th-that's al folks (for
    now)
    Mirko

    "Mark M" <> ha scritto nel messaggio

    > "Mirko" <> wrote in message
    > > I did it ! Your suggestion was right, I was already trying to debug the
    > > program to find where it tests the firmware version, but with no

    success.
    > > Instead, as you say, I found where it has the version number stored,

    > tricked
    > > it and make it install the old firmware !
    > > And now my scanner is a brand new LS-2000 with 1.21 firmware version

    :))

    Mirko, Dec 29, 2003
  11. Cleaning the Mirror

    I too had to clean the mirror on mine.

    First I attempted to disassemble the unit but some of the screws were so
    tight that I couldn't.

    Instead, I took several cotton tipped swabs, bent them so they would reach
    down to the mirror (about 90 degrees), dipped them in isopropyl alcohol and
    gently wiped down the mirror

    Power up the scanner so the carriage will move to the front of the scanner.
    Turn it off when the carriage gets there (You can watch the carriage if you
    remove the slide holder/film feeder)

    Use a flashlight to see the mirror (and all the dust and smoke that has
    settled on it over the years).

    Soak a swab in alcohol and wipe the mirror. Alcohol is a great solvent,
    does not leave residue, and evaporates quickly. The swabs generally don't
    leave dust behind (us good quality ones) (Q-tip in the US - they have cotton
    tips I think).

    Do 2 or 3 passes with alcohol soaked swabs. Use a fresh swab each time (so
    you are not reintroducing dust on to the mirror).

    Use a clean, dry swab for the final pass. Any residual alcohol will
    evaporate quickly.

    Don't press too hard. Even though the mirror is glass there may be coatings
    on it, pressure could damage the coatings. Just rub hard enough to remove
    the haze.

    I did not clean the lens that sits in front of the ccd. It appears to have a
    light haze on the surface but I'm, at this point, satisfied with the scans
    and don't want to risk scratching the lens.

    It immediately improved my scans and eliminated a halo I was getting on the
    boundary between shadows and highlights.

    Mark

    Mark Durrenberger, Dec 29, 2003
  12. Mirko

    AS Guest

    Re: Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade EXPLANATION

    Where did you get the 1.21 firmware. I can't find it at Nikon's website,
    only 1.31.

    AS, Dec 31, 2003
  13. Re: Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade EXPLANATION

    > "Mirko" <> wrote
    >
    > Now that I have enough time, I'll explain the solution and how I got to

    it,
    > on my PC which runs with Windows 98SE.
    > Here is the whole mental/practical process, don't fall asleep in the

    middle
    > of it :)

    [snip]

    Thanks for the details. It would be really cool if you could find someplace
    to post the hacked version, since I've long since deleted my old firmware
    anyway.

    What exactly is better about the image quality from the old firmware? And
    did you have to revert to an earlier NikonScan? I recently hauled out my
    LS-2000 after a couple years of shooting digital, and encountered the blue
    cast on Kodachrome. I had never noticed this before, so I'm wondering if I
    had done the firmware upgrade right around the time I stopped film scanning,
    and the blue cast only occurs with the new firmware.

    --

    Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
    Paul mailto:p

    Paul D. DeRocco, Jan 13, 2004
  14. Mirko

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Re: Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade EXPLANATION

    Old firmware and NikonScan 2.0 or new firmware and NikonScan 2.5 --
    Kodachrome comes out too blue. You can correct it but possibly only on a
    slide by slide basis - I don't really have a lot of Kodachrome in my files
    and so dont' know if the amount of blue is a matter of which version of
    Kodachrome it was or the colour of the light when the picture was made or
    both.
    The latest version (NikonScan 3) has a Kodachrome setting but I've never
    used it - haven't shot any Kodachrome in years. I don't know if you can use
    that version with an LS2000 though.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 14, 2004
  15. Re: Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade EXPLANATION

    > "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote
    >
    > Old firmware and NikonScan 2.0 or new firmware and NikonScan 2.5 --
    > Kodachrome comes out too blue. You can correct it but possibly only on a
    > slide by slide basis - I don't really have a lot of Kodachrome in my files
    > and so dont' know if the amount of blue is a matter of which version of
    > Kodachrome it was or the colour of the light when the picture was made or
    > both.
    > The latest version (NikonScan 3) has a Kodachrome setting but I've never
    > used it - haven't shot any Kodachrome in years. I don't know if you can

    use
    > that version with an LS2000 though.

    The current NikonScan for the LS-2000 is v3.1.2. It doesn't have any
    Kodachrome setting that I can find. I'm using 1.31 firmware, and it's pretty
    blue. But I've ordered a Kodachrome IT8 slide, and intend to see if
    conventional profiling will fix it.

    NikonScan 4, which works with the newer scanners, may have a Kodachrome
    setting, but it doesn't support SCSI scanners like the LS-2000.

    --

    Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
    Paul mailto:p

    Paul D. DeRocco, Jan 14, 2004
  16. Re: Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade EXPLANATION

    > The current NikonScan for the LS-2000 is v3.1.2. It doesn't have any
    > Kodachrome setting that I can find. I'm using 1.31 firmware, and it's

    pretty
    > blue. But I've ordered a Kodachrome IT8 slide, and intend to see if
    > conventional profiling will fix it.

    Nikon claims that the LS-2000 does not support Kodachrome at all.
    Nevertheless, I have had good results with it and Kodachrome by using
    VueScan (www.hamrick.com) to drive it .

    Andrew Koenig, Jan 14, 2004
  17. Re: Nikon LS-2000 firmware upgrade/downgrade EXPLANATION

    In article <Yz7Nb.8466$>, Paul
    D. DeRocco <> writes
    >> "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote
    >>
    >> Old firmware and NikonScan 2.0 or new firmware and NikonScan 2.5 --
    >> Kodachrome comes out too blue. You can correct it but possibly only on a
    >> slide by slide basis - I don't really have a lot of Kodachrome in my files
    >> and so dont' know if the amount of blue is a matter of which version of
    >> Kodachrome it was or the colour of the light when the picture was made or
    >> both.
    >> The latest version (NikonScan 3) has a Kodachrome setting but I've never
    >> used it - haven't shot any Kodachrome in years. I don't know if you can

    >use
    >> that version with an LS2000 though.

    >The current NikonScan for the LS-2000 is v3.1.2. It doesn't have any
    >Kodachrome setting that I can find. I'm using 1.31 firmware, and it's pretty
    >blue. But I've ordered a Kodachrome IT8 slide, and intend to see if
    >conventional profiling will fix it.
    >
    >NikonScan 4, which works with the newer scanners, may have a Kodachrome
    >setting, but it doesn't support SCSI scanners like the LS-2000.

    The Kodachrome setting in NS3 (and NS4, although this only supports the
    newer scanners, so its a moot point) is only available if the scanner
    itself has been specifically designed to work with Kodachrome which,
    unfortunately, the LS-2000 wasn't. You can, however get good KC results
    if you manually adjust the analogue gain and curves, effectively on a
    roll by roll basis, or use software such as Vuescan which has built in
    automatic white balance.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Jan 14, 2004
  18. Mirko

    Hobbes

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    NIKON LS2000 scanner firmware 1.21

    Hi Mirko,

    Congrats on reverse engineering your scanner firmware. I find myself in exactly the same situation having bought a Nikon LS2000 second hand with the original driver and firmware disc missing - so I am sitting with the firmware 1.31 version and not impressed with the resolution.

    I have searched for a copy of the original software but have not had any luck yet - do you perhaps know of any download sites that might make it available - Nikon obviously no longer supports it.

    Many thanks,

    Ciao, Giorgio

    Hobbes, May 6, 2008
  19. Mirko

    MostlyHarmless

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Hi to an old thread!

    If anyone still here you might have a look at:
    ftp[://]ftp.nikon-euro.com/DOWNLOAD/LS30/ (please remove the square-brackets - was not allowed to post links)
    and:
    ftp[://]ftp.nikon-euro.com/DOWNLOAD/LS2000/ (please remove the square-brackets - was not allowed to post links)

    As of january 2010 you will find all the released firmwares to LS-30 and LS-2000.

    As a lucky owner of a LS-30 I have just aquired two LS-2000 and a SF-200 adapter. And I must say I was surprised by the multisample feature of the LS-2000.

    I have read here (http[://]www[.]howtofixcomputers[.]com/forums/scanners/adventures-nikon-ls-2000-land-help-38026.html - again remove the square-brackets from the link) that someone has managed to upgrade their LS-30 to a LS-2000.

    I have disassembled both my LS-30 and the LS-2000 and can verify that all the important hardware is equal in the two scanners. Both the mainboard and CCD-board has the same part-numbers. The only difference to see, is a sticker on one chip saying 30 and one saying 2000. Guess which is on which scanner :)

    I have also tried to switch the mainboards, putting the LS-30 mainboard into the LS-2000 chassis and vice versa. The computer and NikonScan (3.1.2) did not notice and the scanners worked perfectly.

    I have also looked into the firmware-files and compared the LS-30 and LS-2000 firmwares. I have also managed to make the LS-2000 firmware-updater to accept my LS-30. It did not work though, but I was able to flash the LS-30 with the proper LS-30 firmware and so did not brick it :) I do think I know what the problem is, but not how to solve it. A warning has to be noticed: To recover you have to modify the LS-30 firmware!!!!! You are now warned!

    I have though managed to modify the LS-30 firmware to name the scanner LS-2000 (but still LS-30 firmware). It is now possible to scan tiff's in 10-bit :)

    Is there anyone else out there who wants to participate in this adventure?
    Or even better: has a ready modified LS-2000 firmware to upgrade the LS-30 to share?

    Best Regards,
    Arild,
    Oslo, Norway

    MostlyHarmless, Jan 15, 2010