  1. will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Feb 14, 2007

  2. "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?

    It will work fine - an awesome combo!

    Adrian Boliston, Feb 14, 2007

  3. Ockham's Razor

    Yoshi Guest

    The D40 is the camera that is handicapped. It works only with AF-S lenses,
    as the body doesn't contain a focusing motor. A mistake on Nikon's part, in
    my opinion, as they fouund a way to include such a motor in their cheapest
    film SLRs, like the N55 or N60. All other Nikon DSLRs will function with
    most Nikon AF lenses.

    Yoshi

    Yoshi, Feb 15, 2007
  4. On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:14:39 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Adrian Boliston"
    <> wrote:

    >"Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?

    >It will work fine - an awesome combo!

    There is one limitation.
    AF assist is not available with the following lenses:
    • AF-S VR ED 70–200 mm f/2.8G
    • AF ED 80–200 mm f/2.8D
    • AF-S VR ED 200–400 mm f/4G
    • AF-S VR 300 mm f/2.8G
    • AF-S ED 80–200 mm f/2.8D
    • AF VR ED 80–400 mm f/4.5–5.6D
    • AF-S VR 200 mm f/2G
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 15, 2007
  5. "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message

    > There is one limitation.
    > AF assist is not available with the following lenses:
    > . AF-S VR ED 70-200 mm f/2.8G
    > . AF ED 80-200 mm f/2.8D
    > . AF-S VR ED 200-400 mm f/4G
    > . AF-S VR 300 mm f/2.8G
    > . AF-S ED 80-200 mm f/2.8D
    > . AF VR ED 80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6D
    > . AF-S VR 200 mm f/2G

    I assume "AF assist" is that nasty red glow the camera produces to help
    focus in low light. I have turned this off on my d70s for many months with
    no ill effects.

    Adrian Boliston, Feb 15, 2007
  6. Ockham's Razor

    Apteryx Guest

    "Yoshi" <> wrote in message
    > The D40 is the camera that is handicapped. It works only with AF-S lenses,
    > as the body doesn't contain a focusing motor. A mistake on Nikon's part,
    > in my opinion, as they fouund a way to include such a motor in their
    > cheapest film SLRs, like the N55 or N60. All other Nikon DSLRs will
    > function with most Nikon AF lenses.

    But the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR the OP is asking about is an AF-S
    lens, so it would work on a D40 anyway. If the OP were asking about a D40.

    --
    Apteryx

    Apteryx, Feb 15, 2007
  7. Ockham's Razor

    Yoshi Guest

    Uh. I understood the question. I took the opportunity to put in my 2 cents
    worth about the D40.

    Yoshi, Feb 15, 2007
  8. Ockham's Razor

    JohnR66 Guest

    > will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?
    >
    > --
    > "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
    > carrying a cross."
    > Sinclair Lewis

    Will work fine.

    Canon & Nikon must be loving all the sales of high end glass for their lower
    end SLRs. I've seen a lot of people putting their D50s and Rebels on monster
    glass normally used by pros. I always say, spend more on lenses!
    John

    JohnR66, Feb 15, 2007
  9. Ockham's Razor

    Psst Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:16:09 -0500, "Yoshi" <>
    wrote:

    >The D40 is the camera that is handicapped. It works only with AF-S lenses,
    >as the body doesn't contain a focusing motor. A mistake on Nikon's part, in
    >my opinion, as they fouund a way to include such a motor in their cheapest
    >film SLRs, like the N55 or N60. All other Nikon DSLRs will function with
    >most Nikon AF lenses.
    >
    >Yoshi

    I agree,i have been shopping for a DSLR for a few months now and would
    have liked the D40 as its compact and in my price range but they
    foolishly handicapped it as you say. My only other choices are a d70s
    now discontinued and so being offered at good prices,but i find it a
    little bulky or failing that,i feel i will have to migrate to canon
    eos400d as there is nothing in the nikon range at this price bracket
    which fits the bill.

    Psst, Feb 15, 2007
  10. Ockham's Razor

    Joan Guest

    That's the wrong way around.

    You don't fit a 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR on a D50, you put the D50 on
    the 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR.

    --
    Joan

    : will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?
    :
    : --

    Joan, Feb 15, 2007
  11. In article
    <45d434e7$0$24686$>,
    "Joan" <2> wrote:

    > That's the wrong way around.
    >
    > You don't fit a 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR on a D50, you put the D50 on
    > the 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR.

    Fine. But the question is still the same no matter which way you
    approach the combination.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Feb 15, 2007
  12. Ockham's Razor

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:09:30 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote
    (in article <>):

    > will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?

    Yeah, works fine. It works on all the Nikon DSLRs. It is AF-S, VR, a
    beautiful lens. It also works on the F6 and if Nikon ever introduces a camera
    with a larger sensor it will work on that, too. It is probably the finest
    lens in Nikon's telephoto lineup. Only trouble with it is that it is both
    large and heavy. You definitely don't want it sitting unsupported on the
    front of your camera.

    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor

    C J Campbell, Feb 15, 2007
  13. "Psst" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:16:09 -0500, "Yoshi" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The D40 is the camera that is handicapped. It works only with AF-S lenses,
    >>as the body doesn't contain a focusing motor. A mistake on Nikon's part,
    >>in
    >>my opinion, as they fouund a way to include such a motor in their cheapest
    >>film SLRs, like the N55 or N60. All other Nikon DSLRs will function with
    >>most Nikon AF lenses.
    >>
    >>Yoshi
    >>

    > I agree,i have been shopping for a DSLR for a few months now and would
    > have liked the D40 as its compact and in my price range but they
    > foolishly handicapped it as you say. My only other choices are a d70s
    > now discontinued and so being offered at good prices,but i find it a
    > little bulky or failing that,i feel i will have to migrate to canon
    > eos400d as there is nothing in the nikon range at this price bracket
    > which fits the bill.

    The last time I looked they were still selling D50s, and at about the same
    price as D40s. That still has the AF motor in the body, so doesn't have that
    drawback of the D40.

    Neither the D70s nor the D50 seems to be discontinued *officially* since
    they are both still catalogued as current models on the Nikon site.
    Undoubtedly there won't be any more once existing stocks are gone, hence the
    closeout prices. Good time to buy one.

    Neil Harrington, Feb 16, 2007
  14. On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:42:09 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Adrian Boliston"
    <> wrote:

    >"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> There is one limitation.
    >> AF assist is not available with the following lenses:
    >> . AF-S VR ED 70-200 mm f/2.8G
    >> . AF ED 80-200 mm f/2.8D
    >> . AF-S VR ED 200-400 mm f/4G
    >> . AF-S VR 300 mm f/2.8G
    >> . AF-S ED 80-200 mm f/2.8D
    >> . AF VR ED 80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6D
    >> . AF-S VR 200 mm f/2G

    >I assume "AF assist" is that nasty red glow the camera produces to help
    >focus in low light. I have turned this off on my d70s for many months with
    >no ill effects.

    All this means is you have no use for the AF assist given what you shot.
    You have no idea what that means to any other user of this Lens. That is
    why I provided this info, even though 99.9% of my shots do not need AF
    assist.

    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 17, 2007
  15. On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:09:30 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's Razor
    <> wrote:

    >will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?

    Yes with the AF assist limitation, , but from my viewpoint it's even more
    important this lens is compatible with the use of an AF-S TC if you wish to
    increase the f.l. later.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 17, 2007