    documents and paintings without barrel distortion.

    Could someone recommend such a lens please?

    Maddy
    go go dancer, Feb 15, 2006

  2. go go dancer

    GTO Guest

    If close-up photography is a must and the lens has to work on 35mm film and
    cropped digital, there is only one reasonable candidate. It is the Nikon AF
    105mm f/2.8/D Micro Nikkor. It is very good with a great price/performance
    ratio. Even as a portrait lens it works well. It's fast and very robust.

    Example shots are available at
    http://www.pbase.com/overney/closeup_macro_photography.

    Gregor

    GTO, Feb 15, 2006

  3. "go go dancer" <> writes:

    > I have a Nikon F90X which sometimes gets used when only film will do.
    > Currently it uses a 28-70 zoom but what I really need is a macro lens
    > for detailed machineery shots which I can also use for photographing
    > documents and paintings without barrel distortion.
    >
    > Could someone recommend such a lens please?

    Nikor 60mm f2.8 micro. For those subjects you probably actually
    prefer the 60mm to the 105mm. It's quite cheap, and a superb
    performer.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 15, 2006
  4. [top-posting fixed]

    "GTO" <> writes:

    > "go go dancer" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a Nikon F90X which sometimes gets used when only film will do.
    > > Currently it uses a 28-70 zoom but what I really need is a macro lens
    > > for detailed machineery shots which I can also use for photographing
    > > documents and paintings without barrel distortion.
    > >
    > > Could someone recommend such a lens please?

    > If close-up photography is a must and the lens has to work on 35mm film and
    > cropped digital, there is only one reasonable candidate. It is the Nikon AF
    > 105mm f/2.8/D Micro Nikkor. It is very good with a great price/performance
    > ratio. Even as a portrait lens it works well. It's fast and very robust.

    But he didn't specify cropped digital as a requirement. Hmm, on the
    other hand he posted the request in rec.photo.digital, so maybe it's
    not as unreasonable an inference as I originally thought.

    And the crop factor for the digital seems to me to argue for a
    *shorter* macro lens, not a longer one.

    Why do you say (okay, imply) that choosing the 105 over the 60 is a
    no-brainer for his needs? I just picked the 60 for his situation
    myself. My thinking is that for machinery and paintings, he may be
    limited in working distance, and the 60 would let him get shots he
    couldn't with the 105. And that two of the three subjects were flat,
    so the perspective issue doesn't come up (there won't be other things
    in the shot at different distances from the painting or document).

    (Now, the one *I* own is a 105mm (the Sigma, I was cheap). But I
    bought it pre-digital, and for use on much smaller subjects than the
    ones he mentions.)
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 15, 2006
  5. go go dancer <> wrote:
    > I have a Nikon F90X which sometimes gets used when only film will do.
    > Currently it uses a 28-70 zoom but what I really need is a macro lens
    > for detailed machineery shots which I can also use for photographing
    > documents and paintings without barrel distortion.
    >
    > Could someone recommend such a lens please?

    I have had good closeups with the 60mm macro D lens currently sold. I
    have not tried it on a document, but I have noticed no distortion in any
    of the pictures that I have taken.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    A kiss is a course of procedure, cunningly devised,
    for the mutual stoppage of speech at a moment when
    words are superfluous.
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Feb 15, 2006
  6. go go dancer

    GTO Guest

    The 60mm is a great lens if you do not require working distance at 1:1. Most
    people require more working distance than the 60mm offers.

    Gregor

    GTO, Feb 15, 2006
  7. go go dancer

    cjcampbell Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > [top-posting fixed]
    >
    > "GTO" <> writes:
    >
    > > "go go dancer" <> wrote in message
    > > >I have a Nikon F90X which sometimes gets used when only film will do.
    > > > Currently it uses a 28-70 zoom but what I really need is a macro lens
    > > > for detailed machineery shots which I can also use for photographing
    > > > documents and paintings without barrel distortion.
    > > >
    > > > Could someone recommend such a lens please?

    > > If close-up photography is a must and the lens has to work on 35mm film and
    > > cropped digital, there is only one reasonable candidate. It is the Nikon AF
    > > 105mm f/2.8/D Micro Nikkor. It is very good with a great price/performance
    > > ratio. Even as a portrait lens it works well. It's fast and very robust.

    > But he didn't specify cropped digital as a requirement. Hmm, on the
    > other hand he posted the request in rec.photo.digital, so maybe it's
    > not as unreasonable an inference as I originally thought.
    >
    > And the crop factor for the digital seems to me to argue for a
    > *shorter* macro lens, not a longer one.
    >
    > Why do you say (okay, imply) that choosing the 105 over the 60 is a
    > no-brainer for his needs? I just picked the 60 for his situation
    > myself. My thinking is that for machinery and paintings, he may be
    > limited in working distance, and the 60 would let him get shots he
    > couldn't with the 105. And that two of the three subjects were flat,
    > so the perspective issue doesn't come up (there won't be other things
    > in the shot at different distances from the painting or document).

    I own the 60 myself. It will work very well for this type of
    photography and it is extremely sharp. I have found it very
    inconvenient to use for photographing bugs or flowers, though. I would
    prefer it for portraits over the 105, as the perspective gives a little
    more depth to the face.
    cjcampbell, Feb 16, 2006
  8. go go dancer

    tomm42 Guest

    go go dancer wrote:
    > I have a Nikon F90X which sometimes gets used when only film will do.
    > Currently it uses a 28-70 zoom but what I really need is a macro lens
    > for detailed machineery shots which I can also use for photographing
    > documents and paintings without barrel distortion.
    >
    > Could someone recommend such a lens please?
    >
    > Maddy

    Depends on the size of the area to be photographed. For paintings the
    60mm is the lens, or even a 50mm Sigma. As others have said the 60 is a
    little tight for 1:1 photos so if the machinery photos get to that
    level a 105mm macro may be better, but that is reallya little too long
    for paintings. So you have to decide which you do more or get both.

    Tom
    tomm42, Feb 16, 2006
  9. go go dancer

    GTO Guest

    Illumination at 1:1 with a 60mm can be tricky. The working distance is too
    short unless you are using a ring-flash and photograph mainly flat objects
    such as coins or stamps. Regarding portrait, a 105mm is recommended to
    reduce depth in peoples faces. A 60mm is almost like the 50mm. And nothing
    beats the Nikkor 50mm f1.8D regarding image sharpness and speed. Especially
    not for $99. So, I would not consider the 60mm a good portrait lens.
    Regarding close-up photography, most people who bought a 60mm, try to
    upgrade later. Most people who bought the 105mm, love it.

    Gregor

    GTO, Feb 18, 2006