    elite 5400 is available... Any comments on running this on mac os x?

    Thanks for any thoughts on the issue
    --Ben

    Benjamin Librande, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Either scanner will do well. I prefer the Nikon as I feel it is better
    made. I don't use any of the manufacturer's software, however. I prefer
    to drive scanners with VueScan, obtainable from
    <http://www.hamrick.com/>. It's very efficient on Mac OS X and allows
    batch scanning operations while you're using the computer to do other
    things as well.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Benjamin Librande <> wrote:
    >The purpose of the scanner is to archive a collection ~2000 old slides
    >and negs. I've had a look at the availabel info but I think some more
    >educated opinions would be valuable to me.

    You want a model that offers a slide feeder - that eliminates the IV.
    It does a great job with slides, even without true multisampling, but
    it takes a long time for each and every one.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Benjamin Librande

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Personally I prefer the Minolta scanners to Nikon.
    I had a Minolta Scan Speed, a Nikon IV ED and now the Minolta 5400.
    If the price of the 5400 is too high (about $845), get the Minolta Dimage Elite
    II.
    Again, personal preference but the Minolta scanners give you a more vibrant
    scan right off the bat without having to manipulate the image later with
    Photoshop.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 8, 2003
  5. HRosita <> wrote:
    >Personally I prefer the Minolta scanners to Nikon.
    >I had a Minolta Scan Speed, a Nikon IV ED and now the Minolta 5400.
    >If the price of the 5400 is too high (about $845), get the Minolta Dimage Elite
    >II.

    But do they have slide feeders - that's the critical question I think for
    this guy's purchase choice.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 8, 2003
  6. Benjamin Librande <> wrote:
    >The firewire and higher Dmax sound nice, but overall the 5400 seems like
    >more resolution than I need. How does it do when you scan at say 4050
    >rather than 5400?

    Will it scan at that resolution? My IV scans at 2900 and 1450, otherwise
    I think it is just resizing with software.

    >It has the ability to scan four slides at a time which is perfectly
    >adequate for me (I think). I'm not in any rush to get through it all.

    If you're talking about 2000 slides, you shouldn't get a model without
    the option. With a feeder you can load it up and let it run overnight.
    This also lets you set it at the high oversampling rates without concern
    to the time it will take.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Jason O'Rourke, Aug 9, 2003