Nikon group's "whistling in the graveyard" begins

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Sep 25, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Sep 25, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:

    >Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system that I'm
    >just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part of my Micro Four
    >Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

    There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
    the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. The 1 System's AF is
    faster and more accurate than that of any other Nikon camera including
    the D700, D3s an D3X. It is faster and more accurate than that of any
    Sony SLT camera body, but it has no need of a pellicle mirror.

    However, the AF is not a reason to buy into the Nikon 1 System,
    because Nikon will surely offer that AF system in its DSLRs before
    long. And Panasonic and Olympus both offer AF systems that are very
    fast (just not as fast as Nikon 1) in their micro Four Thirds ranges.

    Bruce, Sep 27, 2011

  3. RichA

    sid Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system that
    >>I'm just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part of my Micro
    >>Four Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

    > There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
    > the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. The 1 System's AF is
    > faster and more accurate than that of any other Nikon camera including
    > the D700, D3s an D3X. It is faster and more accurate than that of any
    > Sony SLT camera body, but it has no need of a pellicle mirror.
    >
    > However, the AF is not a reason to buy into the Nikon 1 System,
    > because Nikon will surely offer that AF system in its DSLRs before
    > long. And Panasonic and Olympus both offer AF systems that are very
    > fast (just not as fast as Nikon 1) in their micro Four Thirds ranges.

    Yes but can any of those cameras take good pictures of fast moving subjects?
    I know the Panasonic G2 can't. I recently spent 10 days watching motorcycle
    racing on the Isle of Man and have some seriously good racing shots with my
    50D, my friend with a G2 gave up trying after the second practise session
    with nothing but blurred shots. Not only did his camera struggle to lock on
    focus but when it did and the shutter was clicked it takes an age for the
    picture to actually be taken by which time the subject is either out of
    frame or just blurred.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

    sid, Sep 27, 2011
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 27, 9:22 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system that I'm
    > >just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part of my Micro Four
    > >Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

    > There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
    > the extremely fast and accurate autofocus.

    That is a plus, over DSLR's for accuracy and over current mirrorless
    if the tracking focus speed is as stated.

    RichA, Sep 27, 2011
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/28/2011 6:54 AM, Bowser wrote:
    > On 9/27/2011 9:22 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >> "Neil Harrington"<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system
    >>> that I'm
    >>> just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part of my
    >>> Micro Four
    >>> Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

    >> There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
    >> the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. The 1 System's AF is
    >> faster and more accurate than that of any other Nikon camera including
    >> the D700, D3s an D3X. It is faster and more accurate than that of any
    >> Sony SLT camera body, but it has no need of a pellicle mirror.
    >>
    >> However, the AF is not a reason to buy into the Nikon 1 System,
    >> because Nikon will surely offer that AF system in its DSLRs before
    >> long. And Panasonic and Olympus both offer AF systems that are very
    >> fast (just not as fast as Nikon 1) in their micro Four Thirds ranges.
    >>

    > I'll wait for the independent tests.

    You phrased it a lot nicer than I would have.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 28, 2011
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:

    >Bruce wrote:
    >> "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Maybe there's something really stupendous about the Nikon 1 system
    >>> that I'm just oblivious to, but I cannot imagine giving up any part
    >>> of my Micro Four Thirds gear to get into Nikon 1.

    >> There *is* something stupendous about the Nikon 1 System, and that is
    >> the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. The 1 System's AF is
    >> faster and more accurate than that of any other Nikon camera including
    >> the D700, D3s an D3X. It is faster and more accurate than that of any
    >> Sony SLT camera body, but it has no need of a pellicle mirror.

    >That's good, and no doubt it's important to many users. However, AF speed
    >and accuracy has never been an issue for me with any of my Nikon DSLRs,
    >going back to the D70s. So for me that's sort of a solution to a
    >non-existent problem.

    The point was that the 1 System brings DSLR-class AF speed and
    accuracy to a mirrorless system for the first time. Hitherto, this
    sort of AF performance has depended on a reflex mirror, or in Sony's
    case, a pellicle mirror.

    >> However, the AF is not a reason to buy into the Nikon 1 System,
    >> because Nikon will surely offer that AF system in its DSLRs before
    >> long. And Panasonic and Olympus both offer AF systems that are very
    >> fast (just not as fast as Nikon 1) in their micro Four Thirds ranges.

    >I've been very happy with the AF in my G1 and G2 also. I never really
    >noticed a difference in speed between them and my Nikons, but I'll take your
    >word for it that Panasonic m4/3 is faster.

    Only in the latest models, though. Not in the G1 and G2. Sorry. :-(

    Bruce, Sep 28, 2011
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/29/2011 1:46 PM, Bowser wrote:
    > On 9/28/2011 7:16 AM, PeterN wrote:

    >>> I'll wait for the independent tests.

    >> You phrased it a lot nicer than I would have.
    >>

    > Honestly, how many times have we heard the marketing BS that never lives
    > up to the hype? How many times will we see people fall for it? And now
    > we're to believe Nikon has introduced a consumer camera, a P&S step up
    > that can AF and shoot faster than their top of the line D3s? Really?
    >
    > I guess I'm just a born skeptic.

    Me too. Which is why I question unusual statements, and request a
    factual basis. O obfuscation makes me doubt veracity.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 1, 2011