    that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the more
    serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their low-end
    SLR.
    Billy, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Billy

    Bubbabob Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote:

    > I read that Nikon hinted at a movie mode on fuure SLR's. Is this
    > technically possible as it is with P&S digicams? Does anyone have a
    > link to where this information might be written?
    >
    > I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several
    > cameras in that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared
    > toward the more serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this
    > feature for their low-end SLR.

    Not possible. The only movie you'd get would be of the back side of the
    mirror.
    Bubbabob, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Billy

    Its Only Me Guest

    prat..........
    Its Only Me, Feb 26, 2005
  4. Billy

    Roy Guest

    Nikon, and the rest, did not "Fall Short".

    They know that the so called Movie Mode would have absolutely no appeal to
    the target market of enthusiast photographers, and its availability could be
    a reason for not buying, even if such a mode could be built into a digital
    SLR.

    They have included "Idiot Modes" which do not appeal either, but the
    availability of these modes can be re-assuring for "would be" enthusiasts.

    If you want movies, buy a Camcorder, or if you really want crap quality, buy
    the latest generation Mobile (Cell) Phone.

    Roy G

    Roy, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Billy

    Larry Guest

    In article <I3_Td.402$>, royphoty@iona-
    guesthouse.co.uk says...
    > > I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several cameras in
    > > that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the more
    > > serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their low-end
    > > SLR.

    Nikon didn't "Fall Short".. The movie mode (even if it were possible in a
    DSLR) has no business being in a serious camera.

    Video cameras do a good job of capturing video, why re-invent the wheel???

    None of my Film SLRs take movies either. Did they "Fall Short"??

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Feb 26, 2005
  6. Larry wrote:
    []
    > Nikon didn't "Fall Short".. The movie mode (even if it were possible
    > in a DSLR) has no business being in a serious camera.
    >
    > Video cameras do a good job of capturing video, why re-invent the
    > wheel???

    I use to think like that as well. On a couple of recent trips, though,
    I've included a few short video bursts when appropriate. Just a few
    seconds each. They allowed me to capture, for example, the essence of a
    train journey through a snow-filled central Germany.

    I'm not a movie enthusiast, nor do I have all the time for editing to make
    a polished movie, and I'd never buy a movie camera. However, I do
    appreciate the manufacturers who have had the foresight to think outside
    the traditional camera constraints and include a movie mode.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 26, 2005
  7. Billy

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Larry
    <> wrote:

    > None of my Film SLRs take movies either.

    sure they do - just get a motor drive.

    the only drawback is the longest movie is just a few seconds long and
    there is no audio track. :)
    nospam, Feb 26, 2005
  8. Billy

    Hugh Jorgan Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > I read that Nikon hinted at a movie mode on fuure SLR's. Is this

    technically
    > possible as it is with P&S digicams? Does anyone have a link to where this
    > information might be written?
    >
    > I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several cameras in
    > that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the more
    > serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their low-end
    > SLR.

    Because:
    There is a mirror in the way.
    There is a shutter in the way.
    You would need to open the shutter and keep it open, AND keep the mirror
    locked up.
    You would also need to control the aperture, which is almost constantly
    adjusted in a movie camera.
    With the shutter and the mirror and the aperture taken care of there goes
    your battery life.
    --
    Hugh Jorgan
    Hugh Jorgan, Feb 26, 2005
  9. Billy

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 05:18:07 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Larry
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> None of my Film SLRs take movies either.

    >sure they do - just get a motor drive.
    >
    >the only drawback is the longest movie is just a few seconds long and
    >there is no audio track. :)

    Well, that and you'd need a 35mm projector.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Feb 26, 2005
  10. Billy

    Larry Guest

    In article <rC_Td.23927$>, david-
    -this-bit.nor-this-part.uk says...
    > Larry wrote:
    > []
    > > Nikon didn't "Fall Short".. The movie mode (even if it were possible
    > > in a DSLR) has no business being in a serious camera.
    > >
    > > Video cameras do a good job of capturing video, why re-invent the
    > > wheel???

    > I use to think like that as well. On a couple of recent trips, though,
    > I've included a few short video bursts when appropriate. Just a few
    > seconds each. They allowed me to capture, for example, the essence of a
    > train journey through a snow-filled central Germany.
    >
    > I'm not a movie enthusiast, nor do I have all the time for editing to make
    > a polished movie, and I'd never buy a movie camera. However, I do
    > appreciate the manufacturers who have had the foresight to think outside
    > the traditional camera constraints and include a movie mode.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Im sure the convienience is handy, and I have used the video mode on several
    of my ZLR digitals, BUT, Im pretty sure including a video mode on a DSLR
    would involve compromises that MOST DSLR buyers wouldn't like.

    I'll stand by my opinion that if you want video mode, there are several "Top
    Of The Line" digicams to choose from that can do video. A DSLR isnt built to
    take video, and making it do so would be ... I dont really know the word Im
    looking for, I guess it would just be dumb.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Feb 26, 2005
  11. Larry wrote:
    []
    > Im sure the convienience is handy, and I have used the video mode on
    > several of my ZLR digitals, BUT, Im pretty sure including a video
    > mode on a DSLR would involve compromises that MOST DSLR buyers
    > wouldn't like.
    >
    > I'll stand by my opinion that if you want video mode, there are
    > several "Top Of The Line" digicams to choose from that can do video.
    > A DSLR isnt built to take video, and making it do so would be ... I
    > dont really know the word Im looking for, I guess it would just be
    > dumb.

    Right now, you're right. But I suspect that at some time in the future,
    one of the DSLR manufacturers will break out of the mould and either:

    - start offering interchangable lenses on the top-end ZLRs

    or

    - start using the mirror lock-up mode on a DSLR to provide live preview,
    swivel finders, and perhaps even video if they can get the sensor issues
    sorted out.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 26, 2005
  12. Billy

    Larry Guest

    In article <Zo1Ud.24034$>, david-
    -this-bit.nor-this-part.uk says...
    > Larry wrote:
    > []
    > > Im sure the convienience is handy, and I have used the video mode on
    > > several of my ZLR digitals, BUT, Im pretty sure including a video
    > > mode on a DSLR would involve compromises that MOST DSLR buyers
    > > wouldn't like.
    > >
    > > I'll stand by my opinion that if you want video mode, there are
    > > several "Top Of The Line" digicams to choose from that can do video.
    > > A DSLR isnt built to take video, and making it do so would be ... I
    > > dont really know the word Im looking for, I guess it would just be
    > > dumb.

    > Right now, you're right. But I suspect that at some time in the future,
    > one of the DSLR manufacturers will break out of the mould and either:
    >
    > - start offering interchangable lenses on the top-end ZLRs
    >
    > or
    >
    > - start using the mirror lock-up mode on a DSLR to provide live preview,
    > swivel finders, and perhaps even video if they can get the sensor issues
    > sorted out.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    When that happens, I'll have no problem with it.. 'til then Its on my list of
    "features we dont need"

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Feb 26, 2005
  13. Billy

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Billy wrote:
    > I read that Nikon hinted at a movie mode on fuure SLR's. Is this technically
    > possible as it is with P&S digicams? Does anyone have a link to where this
    > information might be written?
    >
    > I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several cameras in
    > that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the more
    > serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their low-end
    > SLR.

    Hi,
    If mirror is locked up, why not?
    Tony
    Tony Hwang, Feb 26, 2005
  14. Billy

    GTO Guest

    There are two ways to implement real-time preview.

    1) An optical splitter in the pentaprism or at the location of the AF
    control unit (mostly located below the mirror) redirects the image onto an
    small CCD that projects the signal to a video screen output or small screen
    in the back. This kind of preview feature would not show what the main CCD
    will be measuring.

    2) A semi-transparent mirror could already let some light fall onto the CCD
    in the back that amplifies this signal to accommodate the small pixel screen
    in the back. Of course, in such case, the mechanical shutter would have to
    disappear and the electronic shutter is all that remains to control
    exposure.

    So, it is quite possible that future DSLRs will provide real-time preview.
    BTW, this is a feature needed for many applications. For instance, try to
    use a DSLR while wearing a protective helmet. Or use a DSLR on a scope and
    try to focus.

    Gregor

    GTO, Feb 26, 2005
  15. On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:30:55 GMT, Tony Hwang <> wrote:

    >Billy wrote:
    >> I read that Nikon hinted at a movie mode on fuure SLR's. Is this technically
    >> possible as it is with P&S digicams? Does anyone have a link to where this
    >> information might be written?
    >>
    >> I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several cameras in
    >> that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the more
    >> serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their low-end
    >> SLR.
    >>

    >Hi,
    >If mirror is locked up, why not?

    With the Canon 20Da (for the Japanese market) you can fokus for a
    short time viewing the LCD-screen.

    -espen

    --
    All generalisering er farlig
    http://www.seland.org/
    Espen Stranger Seland, Feb 26, 2005
  16. "Hugh Jorgan" <> writes:

    >Because:
    >There is a mirror in the way.
    >There is a shutter in the way.
    >You would need to open the shutter and keep it open, AND keep the mirror
    >locked up.

    Yes, but this isn't difficult. If the camera was designed to have a
    movie mode, the mirror and shutter could be designed to be held open
    indefinitely without using much power. (Some film SLRs already do this
    so they can take long exposures without killing the batteries)

    >You would also need to control the aperture, which is almost constantly
    >adjusted in a movie camera.

    Professional movie cameras do *not* usually change the aperture during a
    shot, because that leads to visible brightness changing. The camera
    operator sets the exposure before the shot and then leaves it alone.

    >With the shutter and the mirror and the aperture taken care of there goes
    >your battery life.

    See above.

    The *real* issue is that the sensors used in DSLRs are not designed to
    produce movies, and making them do that would reduce quality in other
    areas.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Feb 26, 2005
  17. Maybe this is a troll-message, I don't know. But regardless, I say it
    anyway--I'm getting sick & tired of people bitching about a still camera's
    movie mode, or in the case of D-SLRs the absence of one. If you want a movie
    mode, buy a movie camera! You don't hear me bitching that my Ford Tempo
    doesn't go off-road, or that my friend's SUV doesn't handle like a sports
    car.

    LRH
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Feb 26, 2005
  18. Billy

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Espen Stranger Seland <> wrote:

    >With the Canon 20Da (for the Japanese market)

    Rather for the astrophotography market.
    Chris Brown, Feb 26, 2005
  19. Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
    > Maybe this is a troll-message, I don't know. But regardless, I say it
    > anyway--I'm getting sick & tired of people bitching about a still
    > camera's movie mode, or in the case of D-SLRs the absence of one. If
    > you want a movie mode, buy a movie camera! You don't hear me bitching
    > that my Ford Tempo doesn't go off-road, or that my friend's SUV
    > doesn't handle like a sports car.

    Why carry two cameras if you can manage with one?
    Some people will have different value judgements and aspirations.

    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 26, 2005
  20. Billy

    George Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <I3_Td.402$>, royphoty@iona-
    > guesthouse.co.uk says...
    > > > I have the Nikon D70 and as a previous Coolpix owner of several

    cameras in
    > > > that line, I miss the movie mode. I know the D70 is geared toward the

    more
    > > > serious enthusiast, but Nikon fell short on this feature for their

    low-end
    > > > SLR.
    > > >

    > Nikon didn't "Fall Short".. The movie mode (even if it were possible in a
    > DSLR) has no business being in a serious camera.
    >
    > Video cameras do a good job of capturing video, why re-invent the wheel???
    >
    > None of my Film SLRs take movies either. Did they "Fall Short"??
    >

    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.

    But if you have a LG refrigerator, you can use it to browse the 'net. Of
    course,
    on the downside, the reason for its inclusion was so that the refrigerator
    could
    order more food for you (from who-knows-where and at who-knows-what
    price).
    George, Feb 27, 2005