Nikon functionality?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeteD, May 7, 2006.

  1. PeteD

    PeteD Guest

    Hi There,

    Can anyone explain whether Nikon DX lenses provide any extra
    functionality with Nikon digital bodies (D70/D200) over older Nikon
    lenses.

    To put this in perspective.......

    I have used an F90x (N90s in US I think) with 28-70 and 70-210mm D
    series lenses for the last 13 years, and also an SB26 speedlight.

    Having played with digital in the point and shoot area I am keen to buy
    an SLR.
    If I buy a body only and use my current lenses do I lose any camera
    fuctionality compared to buying a DX lens. I understand that focal
    lengths are increased by 1.5x.

    Is my SB26 speedlight of any use at all on a modern Nikon digital body?

    Thanks
    Pete

    PeteD, May 7, 2006

  2. >
    > Can anyone explain whether Nikon DX lenses provide any extra
    > functionality with Nikon digital bodies (D70/D200) over older Nikon
    > lenses.

    yes and no. The optical design is optimised for the smaller DX sensor, apart
    from that there are no differences.

    > Having played with digital in the point and shoot area I am keen to buy
    > an SLR.
    > If I buy a body only and use my current lenses do I lose any camera
    > fuctionality compared to buying a DX lens. I understand that focal
    > lengths are increased by 1.5x.

    You loose nothing. Your focal length will remain the same.
    The "focal length multiplier" is a marketing fabrication based on a myth
    based on misinterpretation of physics.
    The only thing that changes is the angle of view, which is caused by the
    smaller sensor.

    To see what happens, take a 35mm negative and mask off a 6th on each edge.
    The center is now what you'd record on a DX sized sensor (give or take a few
    millimeters).
    It's purely cropping, nothing else.

    > Is my SB26 speedlight of any use at all on a modern Nikon digital body?

    On some of them yes, on most no.
    The D200 can I think use it, maybe the D2x and/or D2hs can. Others, no.

    Jeroen Wenting, May 7, 2006

  3. PeteD

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 7 May 2006, Jeroen Wenting <jwenting at hornet dot demon dot nl> wrote:

    >> Is my SB26 speedlight of any use at all on a modern Nikon digital body?
    >>

    >On some of them yes, on most no.
    >The D200 can I think use it, maybe the D2x and/or D2hs can. Others, no.

    The D200 can use it, but you won't get the i-TTL mode that it prefers. And
    you won't get a bunch of other features. You will have only four modes that
    the D200 can use: non-TTL auto, manual, repeating flash, and rear-curtain
    sync. The D200 gets the most features with the SB-800.

    Don Wiss, May 7, 2006
  4. "PeteD" <> wrote:
    >Hi There,
    >
    >Can anyone explain whether Nikon DX lenses provide any extra
    >functionality with Nikon digital bodies (D70/D200) over older Nikon
    >lenses.

    The DX lenses do provide better specifications on the digital
    cameras, but frankly, you won't be able to tell the difference.

    >To put this in perspective.......
    >
    >I have used an F90x (N90s in US I think) with 28-70 and 70-210mm D
    >series lenses for the last 13 years, and also an SB26 speedlight.
    >
    >Having played with digital in the point and shoot area I am keen to buy
    >an SLR.
    >
    >If I buy a body only and use my current lenses do I lose any camera
    >fuctionality compared to buying a DX lens. I understand that focal
    >lengths are increased by 1.5x.

    The difference between an older lense originally designed for a
    35mm camera and a new DX lense designed for a digital camera is
    something which can be measured, and which a high trained
    professional might (or not) be able to notice. The chances you
    would ever be able to point out a difference are very small.

    Note that focal lengths are *not* changed. The perspective is;
    but that is the same difference that has always existed when
    changing film formats. The same differences exist between 8x10,
    4x5, 2 1/4, 35mm and 110 film formats.

    >Is my SB26 speedlight of any use at all on a modern Nikon digital body?

    Yes it will "work". It won't give you all the bells and
    whistles that one of the newer flash units will though. And if
    you do get a newer and fancier unit, for less than $10, you can
    put an optical trigger on the SB-26 and use it as a second light
    source. It's a keeper any way you look at it.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, May 7, 2006
  5. PeteD

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    "PeteD" <> wrote:

    > Hi There,
    >
    > Can anyone explain whether Nikon DX lenses provide any extra
    > functionality with Nikon digital bodies (D70/D200) over older Nikon
    > lenses.

    No, they're just smaller and lighter and cheaper to make for the same
    quality level.

    > To put this in perspective.......
    >
    > I have used an F90x (N90s in US I think) with 28-70 and 70-210mm D
    > series lenses for the last 13 years, and also an SB26 speedlight.
    >
    > Having played with digital in the point and shoot area I am keen to buy
    > an SLR.
    > If I buy a body only and use my current lenses do I lose any camera
    > fuctionality compared to buying a DX lens.

    No, your current lenses will be just fine (as long as they are
    auto-focus ones!).

    > I understand that foca lengths are increased by 1.5x.

    Focal lengths can't change. The picture is cropped so you only get the
    middle 2/3rds in each direction. The rest of the nicely-focussed image
    that your old lenses so painstaking and expensively make will fall off
    the edge of the digital sensor. The bit of the image in the middle will
    be as it always was.

    Yes, it is possible to think of this as your 28-70 giving the same
    picture on the digital camera as a 42-105 would have on a 35mm film
    camera.

    > Is my SB26 speedlight of any use at all on a modern Nikon digital body?

    Only with the more expensive ones in the lineup - D200 and up I think.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, May 7, 2006
  6. PeteD

    Dave Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > "PeteD" <> wrote:
    >> Hi There,
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain whether Nikon DX lenses provide any extra
    >> functionality with Nikon digital bodies (D70/D200) over older Nikon
    >> lenses.

    > The DX lenses do provide better specifications on the digital
    > cameras, but frankly, you won't be able to tell the difference.
    >
    >> To put this in perspective.......
    >>
    >> I have used an F90x (N90s in US I think) with 28-70 and 70-210mm D
    >> series lenses for the last 13 years, and also an SB26 speedlight.
    >>
    >> Having played with digital in the point and shoot area I am keen to buy
    >> an SLR.
    >>
    >> If I buy a body only and use my current lenses do I lose any camera
    >> fuctionality compared to buying a DX lens. I understand that focal
    >> lengths are increased by 1.5x.

    > The difference between an older lense originally designed for a
    > 35mm camera and a new DX lense designed for a digital camera is
    > something which can be measured, and which a high trained
    > professional might (or not) be able to notice. The chances you
    > would ever be able to point out a difference are very small.
    >
    > Note that focal lengths are *not* changed. The perspective is;
    > but that is the same difference that has always existed when
    > changing film formats. The same differences exist between 8x10,
    > 4x5, 2 1/4, 35mm and 110 film formats.
    >
    >> Is my SB26 speedlight of any use at all on a modern Nikon digital body?

    > Yes it will "work". It won't give you all the bells and
    > whistles that one of the newer flash units will though. And if
    > you do get a newer and fancier unit, for less than $10, you can
    > put an optical trigger on the SB-26 and use it as a second light
    > source. It's a keeper any way you look at it.

    Just a quick FYI - The SB-26 has a built -in "optical trigger" so you
    wouldn't need to buy anything.

    I've used mine in both manual and auto on my D100 and I've also used it
    as a second flash with the SB80 DX using the SB26's optical trigger.
    Works just fine.

    Hope this helps,
    Dave

    Dave, May 7, 2006
  7. > Can anyone explain whether Nikon DX lenses provide any extra
    > functionality with Nikon digital bodies (D70/D200) over older Nikon
    > lenses.

    "Small projection area" (DX) lenses _can_ be smaller, less heavy and
    cheaper than 35mm sensors of the same quality class.

    -Michael

    Michael Schnell, May 7, 2006
  8. PeteD

    PeteD Guest

    Thanks everyone.....

    I now fully understand the cropping rather than focal length change
    thing with the lenses.

    Triggerering the SB26 optically is a great point. Didn't think of that
    as I've never done it before.

    So all I need is a body and at some point a new speedlight....I suppose
    a lens like the 18-200 DX would mean lens swapping was hardly needed.
    Seems odd to think like this on an SLR but I guest it would lower the
    risk of dust on the sensor.

    Cheers

    Pete

    PeteD, May 7, 2006
  9. PeteD

    Don Wiss Guest

    On 7 May 2006 14:53:30 -0700, "PeteD" <> wrote:

    >So all I need is a body and at some point a new speedlight....I suppose
    >a lens like the 18-200 DX would mean lens swapping was hardly needed.

    Unless you want to go really wide. That will have the equivalent of 27mm,
    so the 12-24 lens will get you wider. And then if you want to do macro
    shooting, there is the new 105 VR micro coming out. And then maybe the
    70-400 VR for really long telephone.

    Don Wiss, May 7, 2006
  10. "PeteD" <> wrote:
    >So all I need is a body and at some point a new speedlight....I suppose
    >a lens like the 18-200 DX would mean lens swapping was hardly needed.
    >Seems odd to think like this on an SLR but I guest it would lower the
    >risk of dust on the sensor.

    Buy the tools needed to clean the sensor. It *will* happen!
    And once you've done it twice, the idea won't bother you at
    all... which means that a bag full of lenses, each intended
    for some specific job, *is* what makes an SLR fun!

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, May 7, 2006