nikon full frame sensor SRL

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Darrell, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "massimo lanzoni" <> wrote in message
    news:cuvhd2$hpr$...
    > about you,
    > will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ???
    > if yes or no, why ???

    Nikon's imaging president is on record as saying that they could create a
    full frame, high end DSLR, but haven't because they didn't think there would
    be much of a market for a US$10k product.

    As many of the new lenses are DX lens the answer should be clear enough.
    Darrell, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    "Fullator" <lvolders@forget_it.telenet.be> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:06:16 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:
    >

    > >"massimo lanzoni" <> wrote in message
    > >> about you,
    > >> will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ???
    > >> if yes or no, why ???
    > >>

    > >Nikon's imaging president is on record as saying that they could create a
    > >full frame, high end DSLR, but haven't because they didn't think there

    would
    > >be much of a market for a US$10k product.
    > >
    > >As many of the new lenses are DX lens the answer should be clear enough.
    > >

    > A remarkable statement, to say the least. Demand for the Canon EOS 1Ds
    > MarkII is so high, they are near impossible to get. Here in Belgium a
    > waiting list of several months is not uncommon. With some luck, I'll
    > have mine next month.
    >
    > So far for 'not much of a market....'

    It's a matter of supply and demand, Supply is LOW which is why it takes
    months to get one. I don't recall the last time somebody even asked for a
    1DSmk.IIm I sold a 1Dmk.II on Friday, first one in months compared to more
    popular 20D and Drebels. If I compared dSLR sales to P&S it would seem like
    few were buying dSLR cameras.
    Darrell, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    Re: nikon full frame sensor SRL

    "Scharf-DCA" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > It was one of their engineers who was quoted as saying that they were
    > > working on full-frame sensors. He issued a retraction a couple of

    > weeks
    > > later. Rumor mill has it that higher ups ordered him to do so. You

    > see,
    > > if it were to become known for certain that Nikon had a full-frame

    > DSLR
    > > in the pipeline,

    > Do you think that there is anyone that doesn't believe that Nikon is
    > working on full frame sensors?
    >
    > > they're clearly counting on the new D2x to slow the exodus to Canon

    > until it's ready.
    >
    > It may have some effect, but there are a lot of pros that are getting
    > antsy, and the D2x doesn't get them where they need to be.
    >
    > The weirdest thing is the announcement of the 4 Mpixel D2Hs.

    Have you actually seen how good the D2H images are? It's not always pixel
    counts.
    Darrell, Feb 16, 2005
  4. about you,
    will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ???
    if yes or no, why ???

    rgds
    Massimo
    massimo lanzoni, Feb 16, 2005
  5. Darrell

    gsum Guest

    The reason why the D2X is not full frame is one of life's great
    mysteries and will probably cost Nikon dear. Many people, like me,
    seem to be buying the full frame Kodak SLR/n which, thanks to the
    completely unfounded bad press, is being discounted.

    Graham

    gsum, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Darrell

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Re: nikon full frame sensor SRL

    > will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ?

    They have reportedly said they will have two classes of solutions, one
    with the 1.5x sensor and one with the 1x sensor, and have also
    reportedly said they will stick with the smaller sensors. Both stories
    have been reported in the press even though they are contradictory. So
    they are probably looking at the 1x sensors but aren't sure yet if it
    makes sense to bring them out.

    > if yes or no, why ???

    If yes, to compete with Canon, though some of the pressure to compete
    on pixel count goes away with the D2x. If no, because they don't think
    the financial numbers make sense. You can always get the Kodak 14n,
    which has a lot of problems but uses a 1x sensor which accepts Nikon
    lenses for a lot less $$ than the Canon 1x models.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Darrell

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, "Darrell" <dev/null>
    says...

    > As many of the new lenses are DX lens the answer should be clear enough.

    DX means that the lens can only be used with an APS sized sensor ?
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Darrell

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:56:08 +0100, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, "Darrell" <dev/null>
    >says...
    >>
    >> As many of the new lenses are DX lens the answer should be clear enough.

    >DX means that the lens can only be used with an APS sized sensor ?

    Yes, unless you are happy with some extremely serious vignetting.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Feb 16, 2005
  9. Darrell

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    >> will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ?

    >They have reportedly said they will have two classes of solutions, one
    >with the 1.5x sensor and one with the 1x sensor, and have also
    >reportedly said they will stick with the smaller sensors. Both stories
    >have been reported in the press even though they are contradictory. So
    >they are probably looking at the 1x sensors but aren't sure yet if it
    >makes sense to bring them out.

    It was one of their engineers who was quoted as saying that they were
    working on full-frame sensors. He issued a retraction a couple of weeks
    later. Rumor mill has it that higher ups ordered him to do so. You see,
    if it were to become known for certain that Nikon had a full-frame DSLR
    in the pipeline, a whole lot of people placing orders for a D2x would
    simply put their checkbooks away and wait. That's not a way smart
    companies like Nikon stay in business.

    If you're entering a new market segment and/or trying to stop your
    customers from switching brands, you want to announce as soon as
    possible even if the new product isn't ready yet. That's why Nikon's D70
    and D2x and Minolta's 7D were announced long before you could buy them.
    But if you're offering a replacement/upgrade to an existing product, you
    don't want to announce until the day before it hits the shelves, so you
    can milk every last sale out of the old model before you have to
    discount leftover stock. If Nikon does have full-frame in the works
    they're clearly counting on the new D2x to slow the exodus to Canon
    until it's ready.

    Of course, there's no clearly-defined line between "soon" and "late" in
    product announcements. The marketing guys try to navigate that great
    gray area and decide exactly when the cost of having people put off
    purchase of your existing product (because you've announced the Next
    Greatest Thing) outweighs the cost of keeping them in the dark and
    possibly switching their allegiance over to The Enemy :)

    In the majority of cases the manufacturers conclude it's in their best
    interest to keep us in the dark until the last moment.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing
    Mark Roberts, Feb 16, 2005
  10. Darrell

    Fullator Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:06:16 -0500, "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote:

    >"massimo lanzoni" <> wrote in message
    >> about you,
    >> will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ???
    >> if yes or no, why ???
    >>

    >Nikon's imaging president is on record as saying that they could create a
    >full frame, high end DSLR, but haven't because they didn't think there would
    >be much of a market for a US$10k product.
    >
    >As many of the new lenses are DX lens the answer should be clear enough.

    A remarkable statement, to say the least. Demand for the Canon EOS 1Ds
    MarkII is so high, they are near impossible to get. Here in Belgium a
    waiting list of several months is not uncommon. With some luck, I'll
    have mine next month.

    So far for 'not much of a market....'

    Fullator
    Fullator, Feb 16, 2005
  11. Darrell

    Scharf-DCA Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > > will Nikon introduce a full frame (24x36mm) sensor digital SRL ?

    > They have reportedly said they will have two classes of solutions,

    one
    > with the 1.5x sensor and one with the 1x sensor, and have also
    > reportedly said they will stick with the smaller sensors. Both

    stories
    > have been reported in the press even though they are contradictory.

    So
    > they are probably looking at the 1x sensors but aren't sure yet if it
    > makes sense to bring them out.

    They know that it makes sense to bring them out, but they probably
    haven't finished the development on a CMOS full frame sensor. It's not
    a trivial undertaking. They don't want to Osborne their current
    products by pre-announcing. They have to sell what they have, and put
    on a brave face.
    Scharf-DCA, Feb 17, 2005
  12. Darrell

    Scharf-DCA Guest