    We are currently looking into the compatibility issue for future
    resolution".

    http://tinyurl.com/2o878h

    Haydon, May 27, 2007

  2. Haydon

    David Guest

    "Haydon" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    >I have recently bought a new computer and my Nikon film scanner drivers
    >wouldn't install on Windows Vista. Whenever I tried, it came up with
    >something like 'Nikon Scan doesn't run on this operating system'. Well, I
    >was pretty p*ssed off, but not much I could do about it.
    >
    > Well, I was playing about later and when I tried to install them again,
    > they installed OK with no error messages (didn't do anything different).
    > So, well chuffed I got my film scanner working again!
    >
    > Very strange why it wouldn't let my install to start off with, although on
    > the Nikon website it does say "Operation is not guaranteed with Ver.
    > 4.0.2. We are currently looking into the compatibility issue for future
    > resolution".
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2o878h

    Here is something I received from Nikon on this issue:

    "NikonScan 4.02 does work on Vista. We have it installed and scanning with
    our scanners on Win Vista Home Premium systems here. You need to set it to
    WinXP Compatibility Mode during install to run it and do scanning.

    Sincerely,

    Frank
    Nikon Technical Support"

    David

    David, May 27, 2007

  3. Haydon

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Haydon offered these thoughts for the group's consideration of
    the matter at hand:

    > I have recently bought a new computer and my Nikon film
    > scanner drivers wouldn't install on Windows Vista. Whenever I
    > tried, it came up with something like 'Nikon Scan doesn't run
    > on this operating system'. Well, I was pretty p*ssed off, but
    > not much I could do about it.
    >
    > Well, I was playing about later and when I tried to install
    > them again, they installed OK with no error messages (didn't
    > do anything different). So, well chuffed I got my film
    > scanner working again!
    >
    > Very strange why it wouldn't let my install to start off with,
    > although on the Nikon website it does say "Operation is not
    > guaranteed with Ver. 4.0.2. We are currently looking into the
    > compatibility issue for future resolution".
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2o878h

    Nikon actually admitted that the version of drivers you have may
    not always work? Huh?! As to Vista, this is but one of many
    reasons why I will wait; I'm not in the market for a new PC right
    now so it isn't an imperitive with me. But, if I were, unless I
    were especially desperate for some good reason, I'd try to make
    sure that the manufacturer of all my HW has a Vista driver, or at
    least certified their XP driver to work.

    How old is your scanner and what model is it? I investigated the
    Coolscan 5000 over a year ago but didn't buy it, just no time to
    do scanning so why spend the money? Back to Vista for a final
    comment: my old MicroTek flatbed scanner and HP 1220C printer are
    probably too old to expect them to work with Vista. I'd be really
    surprised if MicroTek and HP wrote drivers for products that old

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, May 27, 2007
  4. Haydon

    Hal Lowe Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 17:01:30 +0100, "Haydon" <> wrote:

    >I have recently bought a new computer and my Nikon film scanner drivers
    >wouldn't install on Windows Vista. Whenever I tried, it came up with
    >something like 'Nikon Scan doesn't run on this operating system'. Well, I
    >was pretty p*ssed off, but not much I could do about it.
    >
    >Well, I was playing about later and when I tried to install them again, they
    >installed OK with no error messages (didn't do anything different). So,
    >well chuffed I got my film scanner working again!
    >
    >Very strange why it wouldn't let my install to start off with, although on
    >the Nikon website it does say "Operation is not guaranteed with Ver. 4.0.2.
    >We are currently looking into the compatibility issue for future
    >resolution".
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/2o878h

    I had a similar problem with EPSON Smart Panel. It finally installed,
    but later didn't work properly. Even when I initally installed it,
    some of the functionality didn't work properly. Fortunately, there's a
    fix being prepared that should be available shortly.

    For anyone else with a similar problem, keep tabs on this Web site:
    http://www.newsoftinc.com/tech-Support/tech-Support.asp?recNo=140

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe

    http://www.cafepress.com/halogos (unique logo t-shirts, mugs & more)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto
    http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (web hosting)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email

    Hal Lowe, May 27, 2007
  5. Haydon

    Haydon Guest

    Hello David

    I have got Nikon Scan 4.0 working, but when trying to install the 4.02
    update, it comes up with the same 'Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this
    operating system' message that I had before when trying to install 4.0.

    I am not sure what they meant about setting it to 'WinXP compatibility
    mode', I never come across this. The 'Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this
    operating system' message comes up before it even tries to install.

    So, I am just happy that the scanner works at the moment and will wait until
    the proper Vista drivers are available. Fingers crossed, I won't have to
    re-install Windows and need to try and reinstall the drivers again.

    Haydon, May 27, 2007
  6. Haydon

    huwyngr Guest

    In article <>, Haydon wrote:

    > I am not sure what they meant about setting it to 'WinXP compatibility
    > mode'

    Here's what I think they want you to do and what has worked with me and
    others not necessarily on Nikon scanners.

    If you think there are any traces of the scanner in Add/Remove Programs
    then uninstall there and delete any icon that might be in Control PAnel /
    Scanners.

    If the scanner is USB linked to the PC you usually must disconnect the
    USB cable from the PC until either the installation procedure tells you
    to connect or until it finishes, maybe tells you to restart. Then after
    restarting plug in the cable and scanner.

    If the software is on a CD stop it from autoplaying and find the file
    that starts the installation -- might be setup.exe or autorun.exe -- and
    right mouse click on it. If it's a downloaded file then do the same on
    it.

    Select Properties / Compatibility

    Select XP with SP2

    I suggest checking the box [X] Run as Administrator

    Ok your way out and hope for the best!

    Let us know if this helps.

    huwyngr, May 27, 2007
  7. Haydon

    David Guest

    "Haydon" <> wrote in message
    > Hello David
    >
    > I have got Nikon Scan 4.0 working, but when trying to install the 4.02
    > update, it comes up with the same 'Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this
    > operating system' message that I had before when trying to install 4.0.
    >
    > I am not sure what they meant about setting it to 'WinXP compatibility
    > mode', I never come across this. The 'Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this
    > operating system' message comes up before it even tries to install.
    >
    > So, I am just happy that the scanner works at the moment and will wait
    > until the proper Vista drivers are available. Fingers crossed, I won't
    > have to re-install Windows and need to try and reinstall the drivers
    > again.
    >

    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Here is something I received from Nikon on this issue:
    >>
    >> "NikonScan 4.02 does work on Vista. We have it installed and scanning
    >> with our scanners on Win Vista Home Premium systems here. You need to set
    >> it to WinXP Compatibility Mode during install to run it and do scanning.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Frank
    >> Nikon Technical Support"
    >>
    >> David

    Hayden, I have not tried this on this particular driver installer, but after
    you download the driver, before you do anything else right click on the file
    and you can set run as administrator and set compatibility mode from the
    right click context menu. You do this before you actually run the install
    program. I have had to do this with some other programs to install them. I
    believe this is what the Nikon support person was saying.

    David

    David, May 28, 2007
  8. Haydon

    Allen Guest

    David wrote:

    > "Haydon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello David
    >>
    >> I have got Nikon Scan 4.0 working, but when trying to install the 4.02
    >> update, it comes up with the same 'Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this
    >> operating system' message that I had before when trying to install 4.0.
    >>
    >> I am not sure what they meant about setting it to 'WinXP compatibility
    >> mode', I never come across this. The 'Nikon Scan 4 does not run on
    >> this operating system' message comes up before it even tries to install.
    >>
    >> So, I am just happy that the scanner works at the moment and will wait
    >> until the proper Vista drivers are available. Fingers crossed, I
    >> won't have to re-install Windows and need to try and reinstall the
    >> drivers again.
    >>

    >> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Here is something I received from Nikon on this issue:
    >>>
    >>> "NikonScan 4.02 does work on Vista. We have it installed and scanning
    >>> with our scanners on Win Vista Home Premium systems here. You need to
    >>> set it to WinXP Compatibility Mode during install to run it and do
    >>> scanning.
    >>>
    >>> Sincerely,
    >>>
    >>> Frank
    >>> Nikon Technical Support"
    >>>
    >>> David

    > Hayden, I have not tried this on this particular driver installer, but
    > after you download the driver, before you do anything else right click
    > on the file and you can set run as administrator and set compatibility
    > mode from the right click context menu. You do this before you actually
    > run the install program. I have had to do this with some other programs
    > to install them. I believe this is what the Nikon support person was
    > saying.
    >
    > David

    Before I retired we had a rule where I worked: "Never install release 1
    of anything."
    Allen

    Allen, May 28, 2007
  9. Haydon

    Alan Browne Guest

    Haydon wrote:
    > I have recently bought a new computer and my Nikon film scanner drivers
    > wouldn't install on Windows Vista. Whenever I tried, it came up with
    > something like 'Nikon Scan doesn't run on this operating system'. Well,
    > I was pretty p*ssed off, but not much I could do about it.

    Windows Vista is a non-improvement in OS. It contributes absolutely
    nothing. It is the biggest con perpetrated by Microsoft.

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, May 28, 2007
  10. Haydon

    Guest

    Hi all,

    I started the scan4 installation program as admin, right clicking on
    the setup, but I also got the message "Nikon Scan4 does not work on
    this operating system" ...

    .... how can I do my scanner working on Vista please?

    Thanks in advance

    gracy

    David ha scritto:

    > "Haydon" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello David
    > >
    > > I have got Nikon Scan 4.0 working, but when trying to install the 4.02
    > > update, it comes up with the same 'Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this
    > > operating system' message that I had before when trying to install 4.0.
    > >
    > > I am not sure what they meant about setting it to 'WinXP compatibility
    > > mode', I never come across this. The 'Nikon Scan 4 does not run on this
    > > operating system' message comes up before it even tries to install.
    > >
    > > So, I am just happy that the scanner works at the moment and will wait
    > > until the proper Vista drivers are available. Fingers crossed, I won't
    > > have to re-install Windows and need to try and reinstall the drivers
    > > again.
    > >

    > > "David" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> Here is something I received from Nikon on this issue:
    > >>
    > >> "NikonScan 4.02 does work on Vista. We have it installed and scanning
    > >> with our scanners on Win Vista Home Premium systems here. You need to set
    > >> it to WinXP Compatibility Mode during install to run it and do scanning.
    > >>
    > >> Sincerely,
    > >>
    > >> Frank
    > >> Nikon Technical Support"
    > >>
    > >> David

    > Hayden, I have not tried this on this particular driver installer, but after
    > you download the driver, before you do anything else right click on the file
    > and you can set run as administrator and set compatibility mode from the
    > right click context menu. You do this before you actually run the install
    > program. I have had to do this with some other programs to install them. I
    > believe this is what the Nikon support person was saying.
    >
    > David

    , Jul 26, 2007
  11. <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I started the scan4 installation program as admin, right clicking on
    > the setup, but I also got the message "Nikon Scan4 does not work on
    > this operating system" ...
    >
    > ... how can I do my scanner working on Vista please?

    One way is to purchase VueScan. http://www.hamrick.com/

    It's highly recommended if you like to do things manually and get optimal
    scans.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 26, 2007
  12. In rec.photo.digital Haydon <> wrote:
    > I have recently bought a new computer and my Nikon film scanner drivers
    > wouldn't install on Windows Vista. Whenever I tried, it came up with
    > something like 'Nikon Scan doesn't run on this operating system'. Well, I
    > was pretty p*ssed off, but not much I could do about it.
    >
    > Well, I was playing about later and when I tried to install them again, they
    > installed OK with no error messages (didn't do anything different). So,
    > well chuffed I got my film scanner working again!
    >
    > Very strange why it wouldn't let my install to start off with, although on
    > the Nikon website it does say "Operation is not guaranteed with Ver. 4.0.2.
    > We are currently looking into the compatibility issue for future
    > resolution".
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2o878h

    Don't expect it to work with Vista 64-bit either ... pretty much a promise
    that it will NEVER happen. It might be better in that case to run a virtual
    instance of XP (32-bit) and scan from there ;-)

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
    machinations of the wicked.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jul 26, 2007
  13. Haydon

    Gino Guest

    Ciao Gracy

    I can't remember what I did to get Nikon Scan 4 to work on my Vista PC now.
    It is possible though, because I have it working at the moment.

    I never changed anything such as Windows Compatibility to "XP compatible
    mode" though. I just kept trying continuously and eventually it installed.

    I think the trick was something to do with what I done after the "Nikon
    Scan4 does not work on this operating system" message was displayed. If I
    remember correctly it then asks you to try to find a suitable driver online,
    etc. Well it was here that I started to experiment. So, I may have
    possibly selected something at this point (like don't ask again for example)
    and then when I went to install it again, it worked.

    Let me know if you get it to work, because if I need to re-install it again
    I would like to know what I done.

    Gino, Jul 26, 2007
  14. Haydon

    huwyngr Guest

    I see Nikon say:

    Nikon Scan 4
    Operation is not guaranteed with Ver. 4.0.2. We are currently looking
    into the compatibility issue for future resolution.

    What you might do is to try using Compatibility mode and Run as
    Administrator (Nikon say you must be in Administrator mode for WIN2000
    and XP so it's logical for VISTA):

    Locate the file that starts the installation of Nikon Scan 4 (check the
    updates on the Nikon website:

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-
    bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_prods=42%
    2C47&p_pv=2.47&p_cats=185&p_cv=1.185

    You will find very good download installation instructions at:

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-
    bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?
    p_faqid=74&p_sid=XY697CHi&p_lva=8322&p_accessibility=0&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZ
    wX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yNCZwX3Byb2RzPTQyLDQ3JnBfY2
    F0cz0xODUmcF9wdj0yLjQ3JnBfY3Y9MS4xODUmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlY
    XJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ%2A%2A&p_li=#

    but instead of double clicking on the Welcome file they mention to
    start installation, right mouse click on it and select the Properties /
    Compatibility TAB and set that to XP with SP2 and check Run as
    Administrator and OK your way out.

    How is your scanner connected to the PC? If it is USB then make sure
    thescanner is turned off and unplugged from the power supply and that
    the USB cable is not plugged into the PC until installation tells you
    to connect it and or until after [Finish].

    Hope that helps. What model scanner is yours BTW?

    huwyngr, Jul 27, 2007