    make manual adjustments on the flash every time I take a picture?

    --
    Miro.

    Miro T Wikgren, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Miro T Wikgren

    Pepe Guest

    Pepe, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Miro T Wikgren

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Miro T Wikgren <> writes:
    > Can an external Nikon flash be used with non-Nikon digital cameras? I have
    > the Nikon Coolpix 950 and an SB-22 (I think), and I'm considering bying a
    > Sony F828, Dimage 7i or maybe a Digital Rebel. Will the Nikon flash work
    > at all with those cameras? Will it work in TTL mode, so I don't have to
    > make manual adjustments on the flash every time I take a picture?

    They all have different incompatible dedicated flash systems. It's
    like SLR lens mounts. I don't know if anything bad happens if you try
    to use your SB-22 in non-dedicated mode on one of those cameras. The
    SB-22 is a pretty old flash, so if you get a new camera you may as
    well get the current fancy flash for it.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Miro T Wikgren

    Mark B. Guest

    "Miro T Wikgren" <> wrote in message

    > Can an external Nikon flash be used with non-Nikon digital cameras? I have
    > the Nikon Coolpix 950 and an SB-22 (I think), and I'm considering bying a
    > Sony F828, Dimage 7i or maybe a Digital Rebel. Will the Nikon flash work
    > at all with those cameras? Will it work in TTL mode, so I don't have to
    > make manual adjustments on the flash every time I take a picture?
    >

    > --
    > Miro.

    I can only answer for the Digital Rebel. The Nikon will need either an
    independent auto mode (auto thryistor) or full manual to be usable on the
    Rebel. Nikon TTL won't work. Canon digitals need E-TTL for through the
    lens flash exposure. Also, the trigger voltage needs to be <6 volts.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jan 2, 2004
  5. Miro T Wikgren

    AT Guest

    i checked my sb24's trigger voltage and it was 4.3v . so i tried it
    with the rebel. it fired ok in auto non ttl . it worked perfectly.
    just adjust for the correct f stop.

    for some reason it needed a different value than the one indicated in
    the flash unit.
    probably because the change from 3.5 to 4.9 when going to telephoto,
    which the sb24 will not recognize.

    i had to manually change the zoom in the flash for the different
    settings in the lens, which is a pita, but will have to do for now
    till i can purchase a dedicated canon.

    regards.
    @

    AT, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Miro T Wikgren <> writes:

    > Can an external Nikon flash be used with non-Nikon digital cameras? I have
    > the Nikon Coolpix 950 and an SB-22 (I think), and I'm considering bying a
    > Sony F828, Dimage 7i or maybe a Digital Rebel. Will the Nikon flash work
    > at all with those cameras? Will it work in TTL mode, so I don't have to
    > make manual adjustments on the flash every time I take a picture?

    It'll probably work. It won't work in TTL mode. Do those cameras
    even support ttl mode? TTL mode tends not to work very well on digital
    SLRs, there's a problem with the CCD being too black to reflect much.

    (I've used an SB-28 in auto (not TTL) mode with an Epson 850Z, for
    example. And with older Nikon bodies, like an FM2, that don't talk to
    the TTL functions.)
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    Dragaera/Steven Brust: <dragaera.info/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 2, 2004
  7. Miro T Wikgren

    Bob Barker Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote in message news:<-b.net>...
    > Miro T Wikgren <> writes:
    >
    > > Can an external Nikon flash be used with non-Nikon digital cameras? I have
    > > the Nikon Coolpix 950 and an SB-22 (I think), and I'm considering bying a
    > > Sony F828, Dimage 7i or maybe a Digital Rebel. Will the Nikon flash work
    > > at all with those cameras? Will it work in TTL mode, so I don't have to
    > > make manual adjustments on the flash every time I take a picture?

    > It'll probably work. It won't work in TTL mode. Do those cameras
    > even support ttl mode? TTL mode tends not to work very well on digital
    > SLRs, there's a problem with the CCD being too black to reflect much.
    >
    > (I've used an SB-28 in auto (not TTL) mode with an Epson 850Z, for
    > example. And with older Nikon bodies, like an FM2, that don't talk to
    > the TTL functions.)

    I am using a Nikon SB-28 set to "A" and I adjust to the F828's
    readouts or manual settings. The hotshoe seems to work fine. My long
    flash shots come out great. It's a little bit of a pain to have to
    adjust the flash manually but will have to do until the F32x are
    available again. I don't think I would buy a SB-28 for the Sony but
    since I already have it for my Nikon 950 it will make a good spare.

    Bob Barker, Jan 30, 2004