    shipping Guest

    I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera line. Is
    this true?

    shipping, Feb 1, 2006

  2. shipping

    Guest

    Think that they are going to stop designing any more film SLRs, only
    going to develop their digital line.

    squelch41

    , Feb 1, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    > Think that they are going to stop designing any more film SLRs, only
    > going to develop their digital line.

    Nikon will drop all 35mm film cameras they make except the $2500 cdn F6.
    They will still market the Cosina made FM10.

    Film is dead . . . get over it!

    Darrell Larose, Feb 1, 2006
  4. "shipping" <> writes:

    > I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera line. Is
    > this true?

    No.

    You're probably thinking of the changes discussed in this press
    release from Nikon:

    <http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/releases/show.aspx?rid=201

    They're keeping all their DSLR camera lines, and keeping the F6 and I
    believe the FM3a. They're dropping all the other film cameras.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 1, 2006
  5. On 01 Feb 2006 12:22:37 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    wrote:

    >"shipping" <> writes:
    >
    >> I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera line. Is
    >> this true?

    >No.
    >
    >You're probably thinking of the changes discussed in this press
    >release from Nikon:
    >
    ><http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/releases/show.aspx?rid=201
    >
    >They're keeping all their DSLR camera lines, and keeping the F6 and I
    >believe the FM3a. They're dropping all the other film cameras.

    Wrong.

    "Nikon will discontinue seven film-camera models, leaving in
    production only the current top-line model, the F6, and a low-end
    manual-focus model, the FM10."

    http://www.casperstartribune.net/ar...national/a3bd6f43975f5fcd872570f50009c1e2.txt

    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/m...tory/01-11-2006/0004247596&EDATE=Jan 11, 2006

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Feb 1, 2006
  6. John A. Stovall <> writes:

    > On 01 Feb 2006 12:22:37 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"shipping" <> writes:
    > >
    > >> I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera line. Is
    > >> this true?

    > >No.
    > >
    > >You're probably thinking of the changes discussed in this press
    > >release from Nikon:
    > >
    > ><http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/releases/show.aspx?rid=201
    > >
    > >They're keeping all their DSLR camera lines, and keeping the F6 and I
    > >believe the FM3a. They're dropping all the other film cameras.

    > Wrong.
    >
    > "Nikon will discontinue seven film-camera models, leaving in
    > production only the current top-line model, the F6, and a low-end
    > manual-focus model, the FM10."

    Thanks for the correction. I optimistically remembered the *good*
    manual body instead of the *cheap* one.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 1, 2006
  7. shipping

    Helen Guest

    "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message

    > Film is dead . . . get over it!

    Film is far from dead. It may be moribund in the 35mm domain, but it
    remains very much alive and kicking at 120 rollfilm sizes and above. Until
    MF digital drops to a reasonable price I'll be keeping considerable stocks
    of 120/220 in my freezer.

    Helen, Feb 1, 2006
  8. shipping

    Pete D Guest

    "Helen" <> wrote in message

    > "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Film is dead . . . get over it!
    >>

    > Film is far from dead. It may be moribund in the 35mm domain, but it
    > remains very much alive and kicking at 120 rollfilm sizes and above.
    > Until
    > MF digital drops to a reasonable price I'll be keeping considerable stocks
    > of 120/220 in my freezer.

    Freezer, not recomended.

    Pete D, Feb 2, 2006
  9. shipping

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "shipping" <> writes:
    > I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera
    > line. Is this true?

    They are dropping their entire film camera line with a few exceptions,
    the FM10 (the FM10 is not really made by Nikon), to concentrate on
    digicams. There were a bunch of news stories about it last month.

    The exceptions are the F6 (Nikon's top film SLR), the FM10 (entry
    level SLR actually made by another company), and a few manual focus
    lenses for the 35mm SLR's. All the enlarging lenses and large format
    lenses are being discontinued, IIRC.

    Paul Rubin, Feb 2, 2006
  10. shipping

    Guest

    Anyone know if any of the other big names are planning on similar
    moves?
    Can't be long until the film range is cut to at least semi-pro plus
    only

    squelch41

    , Feb 2, 2006
  11. "Pete D" <> writes:

    > "Helen" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> Film is dead . . . get over it!
    > >>

    > > Film is far from dead. It may be moribund in the 35mm domain, but it
    > > remains very much alive and kicking at 120 rollfilm sizes and above.
    > > Until
    > > MF digital drops to a reasonable price I'll be keeping considerable stocks
    > > of 120/220 in my freezer.

    > Freezer, not recomended.

    Um, freezer *very much* recommended.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 2, 2006
  12. writes:

    > Anyone know if any of the other big names are planning on similar
    > moves?
    > Can't be long until the film range is cut to at least semi-pro plus
    > only

    Well, Konica-Minolta is getting *entirely* out of the camera
    business.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 2, 2006
  13. On 2 Feb 2006 08:18:58 -0800, wrote:

    >Anyone know if any of the other big names are planning on similar
    >moves?
    >Can't be long until the film range is cut to at least semi-pro plus
    >only

    Hasselblad dropped it's film Xpan line.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Feb 2, 2006
  14. shipping

    Helen Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Helen" <> wrote in message
    > > of 120/220 in my freezer.

    > Freezer, not recomended.

    Recommended.
    Rider: allow plenty of time to come completely to room temp before removing
    from sealed plastic bag. IE, night before, take out of freezer.
    Helen

    Helen, Feb 2, 2006
  15. shipping

    cjcampbell Guest

    shipping wrote:
    > I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera line. Is
    > this true?

    Nikon prepares to strengthen digital line-up for 2006

    Wednesday January 11, 2006

    Following the success of our digital line-up over the last seven years,
    which has resulted in more than 95% of Nikon's UK business being
    within the digital area, Nikon Corporation has made the decision to
    focus management resources on digital cameras in place of film cameras.
    This decision will allow Nikon to continue to develop products that
    match the demands of an increasingly competitive market place.

    Despite this growing competition Nikon Corporation has continued to
    outperform the market, and has recently reported positive financial
    results which saw group net profit climb by 20% in the fiscal first
    half which ended in September. Group sales also increased by 9.8% to
    342.85 billion yen in the same period. Sales of high end digital SLR
    cameras and the success of products like the D70s and D50 have helped
    contribute to these positive figures.

    As the film camera market shrinks and the popularity of compact digital
    cameras increases, demand for products that offer advanced features and
    extra value is continuing to grow. High performance digital SLR cameras
    are performing well as users shift from film-based SLR cameras or
    upgrade from compact digital cameras to digital SLR cameras.

    As a result of the new strategy Nikon will discontinue production of
    all lenses for large format cameras and enlarging lenses with sales of
    these products ceasing as soon as they run out of stock. This also
    applies to most of our film camera bodies, interchangeable manual focus
    lenses and related accessories. Although Nikon anticipates that the
    products will still be in retail distribution up to Summer 2006.

    In recognition of Nikon's commitment to professional photographers we
    will continue to manufacturer and sell the F6, our flagship film model,
    as well as a number of manual interchangeable lenses. Sales of the
    manual FM10 will also continue outside Europe.

    cjcampbell, Feb 3, 2006