Nikon discontinues D3000 and D5000 - nikonrumors.com

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Oct 12, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Story here:
    http://nikonrumors.com/

    You will need to scroll down.

    QUOTE:

    I got multiple reports from different countries that the Nikon D3000
    and D5000 DSLR cameras are being phased out and will soon be
    discontinued. Some retailers were already told that there will be no
    future shipments of those models. The Nikon D90 and D300s will
    continue to be sold throughout the holiday season.

    It is not clear if Nikon will introduce a new camera to replace the
    D5000 (it should basically be a D3100 with a swivel LCD display).
    Maybe Nikon will remove one of its DSLR models all together in order
    to free up some production capacity for a potential new model (EVIL?).

    The D3000 was released in July of 2009, three months after the D5000.

    END QUOTE

    Apart from special editions, the D3000 must have had the shortest
    production life of any Nikon camera.

    Bruce, Oct 12, 2010

  2. Bruce

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 12, 6:10 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Story here:http://nikonrumors.com/
    >
    > You will need to scroll down.
    >
    > QUOTE:
    >
    > I got multiple reports from different countries that the Nikon D3000
    > and D5000 DSLR cameras are being phased out and will soon be
    > discontinued. Some retailers were already told that there will be no
    > future shipments of those models. The Nikon D90 and D300s will
    > continue to be sold throughout the holiday season.
    >
    > It is not clear if Nikon will introduce a new camera to replace the
    > D5000 (it should basically be a D3100 with a swivel LCD display).
    > Maybe Nikon will remove one of its DSLR models all together in order
    > to free up some production capacity for a potential new model (EVIL?).
    >
    > The D3000 was released in July of 2009, three months after the D5000.
    >
    > END QUOTE
    >
    > Apart from special editions, the D3000 must have had the shortest
    > production life of any Nikon camera.

    Could be there just isn't enough profit in the low-end. Like P&S's.

    Rich, Oct 13, 2010

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >On Oct 12, 6:10 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> Apart from special editions, the D3000 must have had the shortest
    >> production life of any Nikon camera.

    >Could be there just isn't enough profit in the low-end. Like P&S's.

    More likely: Nikon is making room for the mirrorless camera.

    Bruce, Oct 13, 2010
  4. Bruce

    ScotchBright Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 23:10:24 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >Story here:
    >http://nikonrumors.com/
    >
    >You will need to scroll down.
    >
    >QUOTE:
    >
    >I got multiple reports from different countries that the Nikon D3000
    >and D5000 DSLR cameras are being phased out and will soon be
    >discontinued. Some retailers were already told that there will be no
    >future shipments of those models. The Nikon D90 and D300s will
    >continue to be sold throughout the holiday season.
    >
    >It is not clear if Nikon will introduce a new camera to replace the
    >D5000 (it should basically be a D3100 with a swivel LCD display).
    >Maybe Nikon will remove one of its DSLR models all together in order
    >to free up some production capacity for a potential new model (EVIL?).
    >
    >The D3000 was released in July of 2009, three months after the D5000.
    >
    >END QUOTE
    >
    >Apart from special editions, the D3000 must have had the shortest
    >production life of any Nikon camera.

    Doesn't matter. I'm sure there will still be plenty of places
    to buy compatible lenses for the foreseeable future.
    I've got a D3000 and I was thinking about buying one of the
    "spotting scope" type attachments for it.

    ScotchBright, Oct 13, 2010