    suitable digital lens? I've used it and it seems okay, but I want to make sure I
    have the right lens. Thanks for any help.
    , Jun 15, 2008

  2. Ray Fischer Guest

    <> wrote:
    >Five years ago, I bought a D-100. At the time, I had a Nikon 6006 35mm camera. I
    >asked the salesperson when I bought the digital if I could use the lens I had on
    >the 6006 I don't remember the specs on the lens other than it was a Nikon. He
    >told me I should get a lens better suited to a digital camera and sold me a
    >Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5 -4.5D. I was checking my camera equipment tonight
    >and saw that my telephoto lens is a Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 210mm 1:4 -5.6. Now
    >please understand that while I bought quality equipment, I don't use it all that
    >much. But I want it when I need it. Anyway, I really can't remember if I bought
    >the telephoto lens, if that's what it's considered, after I got the D-100 or
    >not, but since they're both Nikon AF Nikkor lenses is the longer lens also a
    >suitable digital lens? I've used it and it seems okay, but I want to make sure I
    >have the right lens. Thanks for any help.

    There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
    analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

    That said, your real question is something along the lines of "will
    this lens work as well with my digital camera as it did with my film
    camera?", and the answer to that is approximately "yes".

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 15, 2008

  3. Steve Guest

    On 15 Jun 2008 05:09:00 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    > <> wrote:
    >>Five years ago, I bought a D-100. At the time, I had a Nikon 6006 35mm camera. I
    >>asked the salesperson when I bought the digital if I could use the lens I had on
    >>the 6006 I don't remember the specs on the lens other than it was a Nikon. He
    >>told me I should get a lens better suited to a digital camera and sold me a
    >>Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5 -4.5D. I was checking my camera equipment tonight
    >>and saw that my telephoto lens is a Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 210mm 1:4 -5.6. Now
    >>please understand that while I bought quality equipment, I don't use it all that
    >>much. But I want it when I need it. Anyway, I really can't remember if I bought
    >>the telephoto lens, if that's what it's considered, after I got the D-100 or
    >>not, but since they're both Nikon AF Nikkor lenses is the longer lens also a
    >>suitable digital lens? I've used it and it seems okay, but I want to make sure I
    >>have the right lens. Thanks for any help.

    >There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
    >analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

    There are, however, optimizations manufacturers can do to lenses for
    digital cameras. Like the DX format, giving you a smaller, lighter
    lens because the image circle doesn't have to be as big. Or improved
    coatings or lens design to control abberations that show up more with
    digital than film. For instance, my old 80-200 f/2.8 push-pull zoom
    works great with a D200. But it has some chromatic abberation that
    wouldn't show up as much if it wasn't designed long before digital
    cameras. The CA with that lens is not as apparent on a film camera as
    a digital.

    >That said, your real question is something along the lines of "will
    >this lens work as well with my digital camera as it did with my film
    >camera?", and the answer to that is approximately "yes".

    approximately.

    Steve
    Steve, Jun 15, 2008
  4. Ray Fischer Guest

    Steve <> wrote:

    >On 15 Jun 2008 05:09:00 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>Five years ago, I bought a D-100. At the time, I had a Nikon 6006 35mm camera. I
    >>>asked the salesperson when I bought the digital if I could use the lens I had on
    >>>the 6006 I don't remember the specs on the lens other than it was a Nikon. He
    >>>told me I should get a lens better suited to a digital camera and sold me a
    >>>Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5 -4.5D. I was checking my camera equipment tonight
    >>>and saw that my telephoto lens is a Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 210mm 1:4 -5.6. Now
    >>>please understand that while I bought quality equipment, I don't use it all that
    >>>much. But I want it when I need it. Anyway, I really can't remember if I bought
    >>>the telephoto lens, if that's what it's considered, after I got the D-100 or
    >>>not, but since they're both Nikon AF Nikkor lenses is the longer lens also a
    >>>suitable digital lens? I've used it and it seems okay, but I want to make sure I
    >>>have the right lens. Thanks for any help.

    >>There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
    >>analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

    >There are, however, optimizations manufacturers can do to lenses for
    >digital cameras.

    There are optmizations for the film/sensor size. The thing is, it's
    very hard to till what size sensor the lens works best with.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 15, 2008
  5. John Turco Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
    > analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

    <edited>

    Hello, Ray:

    There's >no< difference, you claim? Well, not quite.

    That is, using a "digital lens" on a film SLR, might result in
    some vignetting.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Jun 20, 2008
  6. Ray Fischer Guest

    John Turco <> wrote:
    >Ray Fischer wrote:

    ><edited for brevity>
    >
    >> There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
    >> analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

    ><edited>
    >
    >Hello, Ray:
    >
    >There's >no< difference, you claim?

    No, I said that there "is no such thing".

    > Well, not quite.
    >
    >That is, using a "digital lens" on a film SLR, might result in
    >some vignetting.

    It's still an analog lens designed for a small sensor.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 20, 2008
  7. Ray Fischer <> wrote:
    > John Turco <> wrote:
    >>Ray Fischer wrote:

    >><edited for brevity>
    >>
    >>> There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
    >>> analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

    >><edited>
    >>
    >>Hello, Ray:
    >>
    >>There's >no< difference, you claim?

    > No, I said that there "is no such thing".

    >> Well, not quite.
    >>
    >>That is, using a "digital lens" on a film SLR, might result in
    >>some vignetting.

    > It's still an analog lens designed for a small sensor.

    You could argue that a Fresnel lens is sort of digital I suppose.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Jun 20, 2008
  8. ASAAR Guest

    On 20 Jun 2008 08:20:43 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:

    >> That is, using a "digital lens" on a film SLR, might result in
    >> some vignetting.

    > It's still an analog lens designed for a small sensor.

    Nope. My old film SLRs were fully analog, funneling light waves
    to the film plane. My DSLRs are instead digital, transmitting only
    light packets, (aka quanta) to the sensors. My first 2mp P&S
    (purchased late last century) was not nearly as light sensitive as
    today's cameras, but it was a true bridge camera, working as it did
    with 'Hoffmann' wavicles. Sigma is working on a new design that
    uses lens elements that have a good refractive index for phlogiston,
    but it has one major limitation. Those physical properties are only
    really effective right here, in the center of the known universe.
    ASAAR, Jun 20, 2008
  9. ASAAR Guest

    On 20 Jun 2008 10:21:47 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >> It's still an analog lens designed for a small sensor.

    > You could argue that a Fresnel lens is sort of digital I suppose.

    Then it may be possible to convert Nikon's Coolpix 8400 into a one
    of the few truly digital cameras in existence. It's not very cost
    effective though, and it must be a bear to clean.

    http://www.nikonmall.com/product.as...cat=Digital+Imaging+Products%3E&searchcatid=3
    ASAAR, Jun 20, 2008