Nikon D90 video as it relates to lens width / angle

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Destin_FL, Feb 9, 2009.

  1. Destin_FL

    Destin_FL Guest

    Hello all,
    Couple of questions about the D90 video feature before I take this plunge...
    first, does it shoot video in wide angle if I have a wide angle lens on e.g.
    12-24mm OR is the video feature constrained to some predetermined aperture
    so that the lens doesn't make any real impact on the video?

    Secondly, is it possible to shoot video in Portrait orientation and if so,
    is there any way to actually view it in portrait orientation on a TV or
    monitor?

    The scenario would be shooting room interiors wherein the D90 would
    essentially replace the need for stitching pano images together. So I would
    shoot video in the portrait position so as to get more of the room height,
    etc.

    Thanks,

    Tim

    Destin_FL, Feb 9, 2009

  2. Destin_FL

    trouble Guest

    I am curious as to why you think shooting video with the camera on its side
    is going to help you with presumably static multi-image panorama shots?
    Even if there were a simple way to transpose the video image 90 degrees
    watching that on a video monitor would be like looking through a moving
    slit. Stitching selected video frames together would yield an image of far
    lower resolution than stitching static images together.

    trouble, Feb 9, 2009

  3. Destin_FL

    Destin_FL Guest

    thanks.... actually what I meant was: for instance, when shooting a series
    for what will ultimately be a number of images stitched to make a wide pano,
    it is advised to shoot vertical since you get so much more of the room from
    floor to ceiling.

    In the case of the video, it would be me putting the D90 on a tripod in
    portrait mode, then panning the camera as the video is rolling.... again, so
    that more of the room is seen floor to ceiling.

    ______________

    Destin_FL, Feb 10, 2009
  4. Destin_FL

    Paul Furman Guest

    Destin_FL wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > Couple of questions about the D90 video feature before I take this
    > plunge... first, does it shoot video in wide angle if I have a wide
    > angle lens on e.g. 12-24mm OR is the video feature constrained to some
    > predetermined aperture so that the lens doesn't make any real impact on
    > the video?

    It looks the same in video or still mode.

    > Secondly, is it possible to shoot video in Portrait orientation and if
    > so, is there any way to actually view it in portrait orientation on a TV
    > or monitor?
    >
    > The scenario would be shooting room interiors wherein the D90 would
    > essentially replace the need for stitching pano images together. So I
    > would shoot video in the portrait position so as to get more of the room
    > height, etc.

    This idea won't be practical. Just take stills and make sure you get
    some overlap. It would be too much hassle to make those huge video
    files, then get screen grabs of a much lower resolution... in that
    process you would be doing the same thing you could do in real time in
    the room.

    Also, I don't think super-wide rectilinear lenses work well for
    stitching panoramas. I'm not positive about that last point but I would
    check. In any case, you don't need a wide lens if stitching.

    In tight spaces with foreground elements you might consider a panorama
    head too: parallax errors could be a problem with furniture in the
    middle or looking through a doorway.

    Easier yet, get a used Canon 5D (full frame) and a Sigma 12-24 so you
    can compose naturally. That's equivalent to an 8mm lens on the D90 - as
    wide as you would ever want. D700 or 5DII if budget allows.

    Paul Furman, Feb 10, 2009
  5. Destin_FL

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:07:01 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:

    > Easier yet, get a used Canon 5D (full frame) and a Sigma 12-24 so you
    > can compose naturally. That's equivalent to an 8mm lens on the D90 - as
    > wide as you would ever want. D700 or 5DII if budget allows.

    When you can get Sigma's 10-20mm lens for the D90 instead, the 2mm
    difference would have to *really* be needed to justify getting a
    Canon 5D in addition to the 12-24 lens. Getting the 10-20mm lens
    for the D90 would be *much* easier on the wallet. Also, while these
    cameras all have video modes, the 5D and D700 don't shoot videos!

    ASAAR, Feb 10, 2009
  6. Destin_FL

    Destin_FL Guest

    thanks everyone!!
    I so appreciate everyone's willingness to help.

    About the 'video-then-grabbing-screenshots' ..... I would be using the
    actual video, not grabbing screenshots from video. So for instance in a
    presentation of a property, I would build a video that included both stills
    and actual video footage put together in Premiere Elements or Cyberlink or
    Pinnacle or whatever.

    ____________

    Destin_FL, Feb 10, 2009
  7. Destin_FL

    Paul Furman Guest

    Destin_FL wrote:
    > thanks everyone!!
    > I so appreciate everyone's willingness to help.
    >
    > About the 'video-then-grabbing-screenshots' ..... I would be using the
    > actual video, not grabbing screenshots from video. So for instance in a
    > presentation of a property, I would build a video that included both
    > stills and actual video footage put together in Premiere Elements or
    > Cyberlink or Pinnacle or whatever.

    In that case, yes you could do portrait orientation video but it would
    probably require some custom settings in the video editing software
    (which I'll bet is not easy), and would likely not play on a TV screen
    unless you added a bunch of black space on the sides. But I've done
    non-standard aspect ratios... it's certainly possible.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Feb 10, 2009
  8. Destin_FL

    Roy G Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > Destin_FL wrote:
    >> thanks everyone!!
    >> I so appreciate everyone's willingness to help.
    >>
    >> About the 'video-then-grabbing-screenshots' ..... I would be using the
    >> actual video, not grabbing screenshots from video. So for instance in a
    >> presentation of a property, I would build a video that included both
    >> stills and actual video footage put together in Premiere Elements or
    >> Cyberlink or Pinnacle or whatever.

    > In that case, yes you could do portrait orientation video but it would
    > probably require some custom settings in the video editing software (which
    > I'll bet is not easy), and would likely not play on a TV screen unless you
    > added a bunch of black space on the sides. But I've done non-standard
    > aspect ratios... it's certainly possible.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Furman
    > www.edgehill.net
    > www.baynatives.com
    >
    > all google groups messages filtered due to spam

    You could just turn the TV onto its side.
    ( is that lateral thinking ? )

    Roy G

    Roy G, Feb 10, 2009