Nikon D90 PRO announced. 12 Mpix 20D killer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Walt Hanks, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. Walt Hanks

    Walt Hanks Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.

    (snipped)
    > 2005.04.01
    > Hee-hee. P D'A

    Nice joke Alan.

    Walt
    Walt Hanks, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Walt Hanks

    Yakov Chiu Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
    >
    > . 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
    > Bayer RGB
    > . ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
    > ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
    > . 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
    > (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
    > . 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
    > Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
    > . Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
    > . Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
    > . Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
    > . DOF data display in metric or imperial units
    > . DOF preview
    > . Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
    > . 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
    > . 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
    > . Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
    > . Built in GN 12 flash
    > . 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
    > . In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
    > . NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
    > . USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
    > . In camera Adobe® DNG option
    > . Magnesium-titanium shell
    > . Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
    > . All photographic controls on buttons and dials
    > . Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
    > . 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee
    >
    > OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
    > . 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
    > 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
    > 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
    > In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
    > CF cards
    > . Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
    > . Additional CF card slot (I / II)
    > . Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
    > . Firewire
    > . PocketWizard® transceiver
    > (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
    > . NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
    > . Voice memo recorder
    > . CF card storage compartment (2 cards)
    >
    > There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:

    Sounds like it's a competitor to the Canon EOS 1D Mark II, more than the
    20D. Any pricing information?

    Glad to see that Nikon has finally embraced a CMOS sensor, and has
    increased the sensor size to get rid of the 1.5 crop factor.

    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp

    Link does not work.
    Yakov Chiu, Apr 1, 2005

  3. Walt Hanks

    leo Guest

    Yakov Chiu wrote:
    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >
    >> Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
    >>
    >> . 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
    >> Bayer RGB
    >> . ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
    >> ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
    >> . 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
    >> (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
    >> . 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
    >> Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
    >> . Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
    >> . Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
    >> . Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
    >> . DOF data display in metric or imperial units
    >> . DOF preview
    >> . Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
    >> . 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
    >> . 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
    >> . Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
    >> . Built in GN 12 flash
    >> . 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
    >> . In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
    >> . NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
    >> . USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
    >> . In camera Adobe® DNG option
    >> . Magnesium-titanium shell
    >> . Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
    >> . All photographic controls on buttons and dials
    >> . Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
    >> . 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee
    >>
    >> OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
    >> . 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
    >> 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
    >> 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
    >> In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
    >> CF cards
    >> . Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
    >> . Additional CF card slot (I / II)
    >> . Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
    >> . Firewire
    >> . PocketWizard® transceiver
    >> (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
    >> . NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
    >> . Voice memo recorder
    >> . CF card storage compartment (2 cards)
    >>
    >> There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:

    > Sounds like it's a competitor to the Canon EOS 1D Mark II, more than the
    > 20D. Any pricing information?
    >
    > Glad to see that Nikon has finally embraced a CMOS sensor, and has
    > increased the sensor size to get rid of the 1.5 crop factor.
    >

    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp

    > Link does not work.

    The spec. sounds too good to be called D90, even with PRO suffix.
    leo, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Walt Hanks

    leo Guest

    Walt Hanks wrote:
    > "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
    >>

    > (snipped)
    >
    >>2005.04.01
    >>Hee-hee. P D'A
    >>

    > Nice joke Alan.
    >
    > Walt

    Does Pentax have a 12MP in the pipeline? If so, what crop factor and
    what is the vendor of the sensor?
    leo, Apr 1, 2005
  5. Walt Hanks

    Darrell Guest

    Hmmm, a few hours early aren't you Alan, I see it's already April Fools Day
    on your PC clock

    Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:22:59 -0500
  6. Walt Hanks

    John Francis Guest

    Date: Fri Apr 01 00:22:59 EST 2005
    John Francis, Apr 1, 2005
  7. Walt Hanks

    ittsy Guest

    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    >Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.

    The specs are impressive. Any guess at a price?

    Rose Parchen
    ittsy, Apr 1, 2005
  8. Walt Hanks

    M-M Guest

    M-M, Apr 1, 2005
  9. "Alan Browne" <> wrote:

    > Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
    >
    > . 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)

    That 1.33 crop makes this sound like today is April 1.

    FWIW, there's no reason Nikon can't simply put the 12MP D2x sensor in the
    D70 and sell it at the same price as the 20D. Unless Sony is ripping Nikon
    off outrageously for the sensor.

    Now that would be a 20D competitor (the high ISO noise would make it a
    competitor, not a killer), but it might force Canon to come out with an EOS
    3D with the 1Dsmk2 sensor in the US$2500 to US$3000 range.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 1, 2005
  10. "leo" <> wrote:

    > Does Pentax have a 12MP in the pipeline? If so, what crop factor and
    > what is the vendor of the sensor?

    Pentax _claims_ to have an 18MP (I think it was) _645_ camera in the
    pipeline using a Kodak sensor. IMHO, the Kodak sensors are dogs (noise
    problems, no AA filter), so I'm not trading in my Mamiya 645 kit just yet.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 1, 2005
  11. Walt Hanks

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Price not announced but the key features are breathtaking.
    >
    > . 12 Mpix CMOS (2832 X 4240 pixels / 27 x 18mm) (1.33 crop)
    > Bayer RGB
    > . ISO 50 to ISO 3200 in 1/3 EV increments
    > ISO 4000, 5000 and 6400 via menu
    > . 1/8,000 shutter speed and 1/500 PC sync speed
    > (Remote slaves and remote shutter release)
    > . 8 FPS with continuous buffer to 40 frames at FULL RAW+JPEG,
    > Or up to 80 frames (8 FPS) with optional grip
    > . Large TFT display Monitor (2.5", 207,000 pixels)
    > . Fold down hard plastic monitor protector
    > . Image preview on monitor with predictive histogram and
    > . DOF data display in metric or imperial units
    > . DOF preview
    > . Low light CMOS sensor exposure meter to -6 EV
    > . 115% pentaprism viewfinder with 'action' box light
    > . 1024 pixel 3D Color Matrix Metering
    > . Mirror lock up and zero-power long exposure mirror lock
    > . Built in GN 12 flash
    > . 3500 mAh, 7.4V fast charge Li-ion battery
    > . In-camera battery charge using 100-240VAC adapter
    > . NIST WWV Time Standard Receiver for accurate time and date
    > . USB 2.0 with power off transfer to PC/Mac
    > . In camera Adobe® DNG option
    > . Magnesium-titanium shell
    > . Water, dust resistant buttons, dials, etc.
    > . All photographic controls on buttons and dials
    > . Bottom access user sensor cleaner door
    > . 7 year / 500,000 cycle shutter/mirror guarantee
    >
    > OPTIONAL VERTICAL GRIP. FEATURES:
    > . 2nd 3500 mAh 7.4V Li Battery, chargeable in grip, or
    > 4 AA Alkaline/NiMH/NiCD batteries, or 4 CR123 or
    > 2 2CR5 Lithium batteries.
    > In lieu of batteries, special clips will hold spare
    > CF cards
    > . Buffer memory for additional 40 frames burst at 8 fps
    > . Additional CF card slot (I / II)
    > . Wireless background data xfer to datapod (10 Mb/sec)
    > . Firewire
    > . PocketWizard® transceiver
    > (Fires remote slaves and/or provides remote shutter release)
    > . NMEA GPS interface, option to record GPS data with images
    > . Voice memo recorder
    > . CF card storage compartment (2 cards)
    >

    > There's more nitty gritty's, but this is a beaut. More at:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/nikondD90.asp
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    > 2005.04.01
    > Hee-hee. P D'A

    Hi,
    April Fool?
    Tony
    Tony Hwang, Apr 1, 2005
  12. Walt Hanks

    paul Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > . Image preview on monitor
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    > 2005.04.01
    > Hee-hee. P D'A

    Eh, right.

    Alan Browne, Apr 1, 2005
  14. Too early. Next time set your clock ahead!

    I was going to do a Canon 3D, too!
    Dave R knows who, Apr 1, 2005
  15. Walt Hanks

    RichA Guest

    You forgot to say; "MSRP $7500."
    -Rich
    RichA, Apr 1, 2005
  16. Walt Hanks

    Justin Thyme Guest

    This being 1st of April and all, perhaps it could sell for $500 too!!
    If it was real, that'd be one hell of a camera - realistically though, is
    there any reason why they couldn't make such a beast (except for the image
    preview part) - the 12MP sensor's already exist - the rest is just having a
    nice quick processor in the camera, the right firmware and then just rigging
    up existing technology so that it is all in the one unit - at the moment
    most of the things you mention are available, but not all in the one unit.

    Justin Thyme, Apr 1, 2005
  17. Walt Hanks

    Steve Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > . Built in GN 12 flash

    Did you mean to say 120? A guide number of 12 would obviously be just to trigger a
    slave, so surely it pops up and swivels, right?

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
    Steve, Apr 1, 2005
  18. Walt Hanks

    Guest

    Re: Nikon D90 PRO announced. 12 Mpix 20D killer

    >> the Kodak sensors are dogs (noise problems, no AA filter),
    An exception cute dog, then. AA filter is more common on the 35mm or
    inferior format. Less appreciated in the world of MF digital back.
    Maybe it takes an AA filter like a dog to make the difference.
    , Apr 1, 2005
  19. Walt Hanks

    Guest

    Re: Nikon D90 PRO announced. 12 Mpix 20D killer

    >> the Kodak sensors are dogs (noise problems, no AA filter),
    An exception cute dog, then. AA filter is more common on the 35mm or
    inferior format. Less appreciated in the world of MF digital back.
    Maybe it takes an AA filter like a dog to make the difference.
    , Apr 1, 2005
  20. Re: Nikon D90 PRO announced. 12 Mpix 20D killer

    <> wrote:

    > >> the Kodak sensors are dogs (noise problems, no AA filter),

    > An exception cute dog, then.

    A noisy dog. With sites that large, ISO 800 should be clean. As it is, ISO
    200 is problematic. And you don't want to look too closely at the blue
    channel at ISO 100.

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/valeo22-revisited.shtml

    "This channel on the Kodak was very noisy in the shadow areas while on the
    Valeo there is little noise difference between the Blue and the other two
    channels."

    .... "Finally, it needs to be noted that all tests were done at ISO 100."

    > AA filter is more common on the 35mm or
    > inferior format.

    A Bayer sensor without an AA filter is not a good idea, whatever the format.
    Unless you like Moire.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 1, 2005