Nikon D90 and 18-200mm lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pawihte, Jan 31, 2009.

  1. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with
    the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in
    advance. Elaborations will be welcome.
    pawihte, Jan 31, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. pawihte

    Paul Furman Guest

    pawihte wrote:
    > Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with
    > the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in
    > advance.


    Correct.


    > Elaborations will be welcome.


    :)
    Paul Furman, Jan 31, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "pawihte" <> wrote:
    >Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with
    >the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in
    >advance. Elaborations will be welcome.


    See http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm which not only has a very
    detailed compatibility matrix for the what but also excellent
    explanation about the why.

    BTW: you could have found out easily yourself by looking into the manual
    or just following the standard route:
    The lens is at least AI-P (designed after ~1989), so it is fully
    compatible, unless the camera is a D40/40x/60 which would require an
    AF-S for auto-focus, but which lens even is.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jan 31, 2009
    #3
  4. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > "pawihte" <> wrote:
    >> Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible
    >> with
    >> the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks
    >> in
    >> advance. Elaborations will be welcome.

    >
    > See http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm which not only has a
    > very
    > detailed compatibility matrix for the what but also excellent
    > explanation about the why.
    >
    > BTW: you could have found out easily yourself by looking into
    > the
    > manual or just following the standard route:
    > The lens is at least AI-P (designed after ~1989), so it is
    > fully
    > compatible, unless the camera is a D40/40x/60 which would
    > require an
    > AF-S for auto-focus, but which lens even is.
    >

    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I did some checkings first and
    it certainly looked as if the two are fully compatible. But all
    the sources I found, including the D90 document, listed
    compatibility by type (AF-S, IF and so on) and none listed
    specific lens models (maybe this is impracticable). I was worried
    that I might have missed something, so I thought it would be best
    to get confirmation here. Thanks again.
    pawihte, Feb 1, 2009
    #4
  5. pawihte

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:19:52 -0800, Jürgen Exner <> wrote:
    : "pawihte" <> wrote:
    : >Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with
    : >the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in
    : >advance. Elaborations will be welcome.
    :
    : See http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm which not only has a very
    : detailed compatibility matrix for the what but also excellent
    : explanation about the why.
    :
    : BTW: you could have found out easily yourself by looking into the manual
    : or just following the standard route:
    : The lens is at least AI-P (designed after ~1989), so it is fully
    : compatible, unless the camera is a D40/40x/60 which would require an
    : AF-S for auto-focus, but which lens even is.

    The gibbericity of that answer fully justifies the original question.

    Bob (recognizing another reason to be satisfied that his cameras are Canons)
    Robert Coe, Feb 1, 2009
    #5
  6. pawihte

    Jim Guest

    "pawihte" <> wrote in message
    news:gm2c45$eom$...
    > Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with the D90?
    > "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in advance.
    > Elaborations will be welcome.
    >

    Of course it will fit.
    Jim
    Jim, Feb 1, 2009
    #6
  7. Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:19:52 -0800, Jürgen Exner <> wrote:
    >: The lens is at least AI-P (designed after ~1989), so it is fully
    >: compatible, unless the camera is a D40/40x/60 which would require an
    >: AF-S for auto-focus, but which lens even is.
    >
    >The gibbericity of that answer fully justifies the original question.


    Ok, long form for those, you can't read that fast:

    Is the lens AI-P or better, i.e. post ~1989? If yes, then all features
    will work with any DSLR. The OPs lens is.

    EXCEPTION: The entry level D40/40x/60 (the OPs camera does not fall into
    this group) requires AF-S for autofocus (the OPs lens does have AF-S,
    i.e. it would autofocus even on those cameras).

    >Bob (recognizing another reason to be satisfied that his cameras are Canons)


    Good for you. If you prefer a blunt "No" to the question, if pre-1989
    lenses can be used on today's bodies, instead of "Sure, tell me which
    lens class you are talking about and I tell you which bodies will
    work.", then that is certainly your choice.

    I guess some people just can't handle anything more complex than a
    single binary input parameter. As I said, your choice.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Feb 1, 2009
    #7
  8. pawihte

    mianileng Guest

    bmoag wrote:
    > You might save some money and get equal or better optical
    > performance
    > from the Sigma 18-200.
    > I have only me extensive personal experience with these lenses
    > to go
    > by, not what I've read . . .


    Where I live, the Sigma costs only 60% of what the Nikkor does
    and it's tempting. But "better optical performance from the
    Sigma"? What I've read on the net seems to indicate the opposite.
    And without having a chance to do comparative tests myself, I
    have to rely on what I read. Opinions on this from anyone else?
    mianileng, Feb 1, 2009
    #8
  9. pawihte

    nospam Guest

    In article <gm4td7$jqs$>, mianileng
    <> wrote:

    > bmoag wrote:
    > > You might save some money and get equal or better optical
    > > performance
    > > from the Sigma 18-200.
    > > I have only me extensive personal experience with these lenses
    > > to go
    > > by, not what I've read . . .

    >
    > Where I live, the Sigma costs only 60% of what the Nikkor does
    > and it's tempting. But "better optical performance from the
    > Sigma"? What I've read on the net seems to indicate the opposite.
    > And without having a chance to do comparative tests myself, I
    > have to rely on what I read. Opinions on this from anyone else?


    the sigma is much worse, particularly its stabilization, which i could
    see a difference in the viewfinder.
    nospam, Feb 2, 2009
    #9
  10. pawihte

    Paul Furman Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:19:52 -0800, Jürgen Exner <> wrote:
    >> : The lens is at least AI-P (designed after ~1989), so it is fully
    >> : compatible, unless the camera is a D40/40x/60 which would require an
    >> : AF-S for auto-focus, but which lens even is.
    >>
    >> The gibbericity of that answer fully justifies the original question.

    >
    > Ok, long form for those, you can't read that fast:
    >
    > Is the lens AI-P or better, i.e. post ~1989? If yes, then all features
    > will work with any DSLR. The OPs lens is.
    >
    > EXCEPTION: The entry level D40/40x/60 (the OPs camera does not fall into
    > this group) requires AF-S for autofocus (the OPs lens does have AF-S,
    > i.e. it would autofocus even on those cameras).
    >
    >> Bob (recognizing another reason to be satisfied that his cameras are Canons)

    >
    > Good for you. If you prefer a blunt "No" to the question, if pre-1989
    > lenses can be used on today's bodies, instead of "Sure, tell me which
    > lens class you are talking about and I tell you which bodies will
    > work.", then that is certainly your choice.
    >
    > I guess some people just can't handle anything more complex than a
    > single binary input parameter. As I said, your choice.


    Here's a super-short version of everything important with only very
    odd/expensive/antique exceptions:

    If it's AF, it'll meter on any Nikon DSLR.
    To AF on a D60/D40, it has to be AF-S.
    D90/D80/D70/D50 will AF any AF lens.
    D200 and up meters with any lens.
    DX lenses work on any DX body.

    Exceptions:

    45mm pancake lens was Ai-P with a chip but no AF. Some tilt/shift lenses
    are like this also: manual focus but with a chip for metering.

    10.5mm DX fisheye is not AF-S, so manual focus on a D60/D40.

    I can't think of any other exceptions besides maybe that old fisheye
    that needs the mirror locked up and pre-Ai which are antiques, that gets
    complicated to explain. But the rules above work for all the rest of the
    (hundreds?) of Nikon lenses made over the past 32 years.


    > "pawihte" <> wrote:
    >> >Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with
    >> >the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in
    >> >advance. Elaborations will be welcome.


    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net
    www.baynatives.com

    all google groups messages filtered due to spam
    Paul Furman, Feb 2, 2009
    #10
  11. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:
    > On 2009-01-31 12:55:37 -0800, "pawihte" <>
    > said:
    >
    >> Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible
    >> with
    >> the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks
    >> in
    >> advance. Elaborations will be welcome.

    >
    > I like the 18-200 lens. Trouble is, my wife will not let me
    > have it
    > back. It will work just fine on the D90.
    >
    > I would ignore the comments about lens quality. Yes, it makes
    > some
    > trade-offs to get its fantastic zoom ratio. Yes, this lens is a
    > heck
    > of a lot of fun. The image quality is extremely good, all
    > things
    > considered. The way some people talk around here you would
    > think that
    > all your pictures will be unrecognizable distorted blurs.


    I understand that some people can go a bit overboard in pointing
    out minor shortcomings in a product. I've read the reviews and
    scrutinized the test shots of this lens, and the image quality,
    though not flawless, is quite satisfactory for my present
    purpose.
    pawihte, Feb 3, 2009
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. greg
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    1,161
    Summitar
    Sep 5, 2004
  2. Canon 200mm f2.8/L vs. 70-200mm f/4L

    , Sep 21, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    357
    JohnR66
    Sep 22, 2005
  3. MaryL
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    554
    nospam
    Apr 28, 2008
  4. Destin_FL

    Nikon D90 video as it relates to lens width / angle

    Destin_FL, Feb 9, 2009, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    717
    Roy G
    Feb 10, 2009
  5. Bruce

    The Nikon D90 is dead. Long live the Nikon D7000!

    Bruce, Sep 15, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    658
    Wolfgang Weisselberg
    Sep 27, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page