Nikon D800

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Polly the Parrott, Oct 1, 2012.

  1. Any users here hiding away from the political clap trap going on, who
    can give their impressions of the Nikon D800 at all?
    Polly the Parrott, Oct 1, 2012

  2. Polly the Parrott

    Bruce Guest

    Polly the Parrott <> wrote:

    >Any users here hiding away from the political clap trap going on, who
    >can give their impressions of the Nikon D800 at all?

    PLUS POINTS: Lots of pixels, excellent control of at med/high ISOs, a
    logical progression from the D700, fast and accurate AF (but see
    negative points below), very competitively priced.

    NEGATIVE POINTS: Some early samples had focusing problems (completely
    solved in samples now being sold), large files are slow to write, slow
    continuous frame rate, weird colour rendition on the rear LCD.

    I would not advise buying a used or refurbished model unless you can
    be convinced that the AF problems have been solved.

    I would also look at the D600 because 24 MP is more than enough, and
    Nikon has few, if any lenses in the Nikkor range that can exploit the
    increased resolution of the D800.

    Would I buy another? Yes, but I would also seriously consider the
    D600 which represents even better value for money.
    Bruce, Oct 1, 2012

  3. Polly the Parrott

    Rob Guest

    On 2/10/2012 6:53 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > Polly the Parrott <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Any users here hiding away from the political clap trap going on, who
    >> can give their impressions of the Nikon D800 at all?

    > PLUS POINTS: Lots of pixels, excellent control of at med/high ISOs, a
    > logical progression from the D700, fast and accurate AF (but see
    > negative points below), very competitively priced.
    >
    > NEGATIVE POINTS: Some early samples had focusing problems (completely
    > solved in samples now being sold), large files are slow to write, slow
    > continuous frame rate, weird colour rendition on the rear LCD.
    >
    > I would not advise buying a used or refurbished model unless you can
    > be convinced that the AF problems have been solved.
    >
    > I would also look at the D600 because 24 MP is more than enough, and
    > Nikon has few, if any lenses in the Nikkor range that can exploit the
    > increased resolution of the D800.
    >
    > Would I buy another? Yes, but I would also seriously consider the
    > D600 which represents even better value for money.

    I would agree with that. Love the FF - have found that it has to be used
    with respect, the more time you spend setting up the shot, checking the
    settings, focus etc allows for a better image. (including using a
    tripod) happy snaps are not what this camera was made to do.

    Read the brochures (2) downloadable off the Nikon site.

    Finding a D800 in the initial stages was difficult and bought the D800E
    very happy with the results don't be shy of buying the E model if you want.

    I have no regrets buying mine for what its used. Its been into Nikon for
    a new card slot (faulty from new) no focus problems - which would be
    negotiated by DOF anyway - but my firmware has been updated.

    Would I look at a D600 well maybe if it gave me the same features as the
    D800 - I'm getting used to those features now and use a few to suit. its
    easy to use big crops and still get a very good image.

    You don't have to run a sharpening filter through the file its that good.
    Rob, Oct 1, 2012
  4. On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 19:17:59 -0800, (Floyd L.
    Davidson) wrote:

    >Polly the Parrott <> wrote:
    >>Any users here hiding away from the political clap trap going on, who
    >>can give their impressions of the Nikon D800 at all?

    >What do you want to know about the D800? The user manual is
    >442 pages long and you've just asked everyone to tell you what
    >it says!

    I just want general impressions!

    Calm down!

    >A better approach would be to go to the Nikon site and download
    >the manual, read it, and then ask specific questions.

    Presuming you have one?

    How does it handle the winter cold?
    Polly the Parrott, Oct 2, 2012
  5. On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 23:23:33 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-10-01 22:28:42 -0700, Polly the Parrott
    ><> said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 19:17:59 -0800, (Floyd L.
    >> Davidson) wrote:

    >>> What do you want to know about the D800? The user manual is
    >>> 442 pages long and you've just asked everyone to tell you what
    >>> it says!

    >> I just want general impressions!

    >Here you go!
    >< http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/ >
    >

    >> Calm down!
    >>>
    >>> A better approach would be to go to the Nikon site and download
    >>> the manual, read it, and then ask specific questions.

    >> Presuming you have one?
    >>
    >> How does it handle the winter cold?

    >Ask Floyd, he is probably the best qualified to answer that question,
    >since he is the only one in these groups who lives above the Arctic
    >circle.

    Thanks for the reply.
    Polly the Parrott, Oct 2, 2012
  6. Hello,

    I have one since it came out a couple months ago.

    Everything works as advertised, and coming from a Dynax 7D, I love the
    ergonomy.

    For me, the main benefit of the D800 is none of the hyped high MP or wide AF
    coverage or such features, it is the *incredibly wide dynamic range* of the
    14 bit sensor, which results in:

    - very limited low/highlight clipping, giving a wide flexibility of exposure
    / speed control,
    - no loss of dark details even when you shoot with the sun directly in the
    frame or in dark contexts,
    - very limited noise, so very usable files up to 6.400 ISO (practical
    benefit: you can shoot life scenes in low light without a flash and with an
    exceptional success rate)

    Regards,
    --
    Stéphane
    Stéphane Guillard, Oct 2, 2012
  7. On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 00:54:50 -0800, (Floyd L.
    Davidson) wrote:

    >Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/>

    Nice photos there!
    Polly the Parrott, Oct 3, 2012