Nikon D800 24 MP DSLR due by February 2011? - Amateur Photographer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Oct 5, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/33vtc3w
    or:
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D800_DSLR_due_before_February_2011_news_302529.html

    Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
    D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
    handbook are to be believed.

    The 320-page D800 handbook will be published on 9 February 2011,
    according to an entry which appears to have been posted on an Amazon
    page.

    Written by Jean-Baptiste Guges the book is entitled Obtenez le maximum
    du Nikon D800, which loosely translates as 'getting the most from the
    D800'.

    Details of the 17x21cm book, published separately, suggest that the
    D800 will carry a 24-million-pixel sensor (double that of the
    two-year-old D700) and will cost between Euros 2,000 and Euros 2,500.
    Bruce, Oct 5, 2010

  2. Bruce

    peter Guest

    On 10/5/2010 5:13 PM, Rich wrote:
    > Bruce<> wrote in
    >
    >> http://preview.tinyurl.com/33vtc3w
    >> or:
    >> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D800_DSLR_due_before_Fe
    >> bruary_2011_news_302529.html
    >>

    >> Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
    >> D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
    >> handbook are to be believed.
    >>
    >> The 320-page D800 handbook will be published on 9 February 2011,
    >> according to an entry which appears to have been posted on an Amazon
    >> page.
    >>
    >> Written by Jean-Baptiste Guges the book is entitled Obtenez le maximum
    >> du Nikon D800, which loosely translates as 'getting the most from the
    >> D800'.
    >>
    >> Details of the 17x21cm book, published separately, suggest that the
    >> D800 will carry a 24-million-pixel sensor (double that of the
    >> two-year-old D700) and will cost between Euros 2,000 and Euros 2,500.
    >>

    > It's about friggin TIME, Nikon! $9000 for more than 12 megapixels was a
    > bit too much. So, if the D7000 is the new D300, does this mean the D800
    > is really the younger brother of the D700?
    > If this by some miracle lands Stateside for under $2200, I'll get one.

    why do you complain about the pricing on cameras you wouldn't buy if
    they were 1/3 the price.

    BTW There are some unanswered questions of mine, still on the table. Why
    don't you answer them before you start sputtering more nonsense.

    remember: your NYC reference still needs explanation. No I will not let
    you duck and weave. We are entitled to straightforward answers to
    straightforward questions.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 5, 2010

  3. Bruce

    ScotchBright Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:02:48 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >http://preview.tinyurl.com/33vtc3w
    >or:
    >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D800_DSLR_due_before_February_2011_news_302529.html
    >

    >Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
    >D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
    >handbook are to be believed.

    Isn't the D-3X already around that same resolution? Why make a
    big deal out of a launch of one so close in resolution to one already
    in their lineup, unless there's something radically different about
    it?

    ScotchBright, Oct 6, 2010
  4. Bruce

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 5, 5:24 pm, peter <> wrote:
    > On 10/5/2010 5:13 PM, Rich wrote:
    >

    > > Bruce<>  wrote in

    > >>http://preview.tinyurl.com/33vtc3w
    > >> or:
    > >>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D800_DSLR_due_before_Fe
    > >> bruary_2011_news_302529.html

    > >> Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
    > >> D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
    > >> handbook are to be believed.

    > >> The 320-page D800 handbook will be published on 9 February 2011,
    > >> according to an entry which appears to have been posted on an Amazon
    > >> page.

    > >> Written by Jean-Baptiste Guges the book is entitled Obtenez le maximum
    > >> du Nikon D800, which loosely translates as 'getting the most from the
    > >> D800'.

    > >> Details of the 17x21cm book, published separately, suggest that the
    > >> D800 will carry a 24-million-pixel sensor (double that of the
    > >> two-year-old D700) and will cost between Euros 2,000 and Euros 2,500.

    > > It's about friggin TIME, Nikon!  $9000 for more than 12 megapixels was a
    > > bit too much.  So, if the D7000 is the new D300, does this mean the D800
    > > is really the younger brother of the D700?
    > > If this by some miracle lands Stateside for under $2200, I'll get one.

    > why do you complain about the pricing on cameras you wouldn't buy if
    > they were 1/3 the price.
    >
    > BTW There are some unanswered questions of mine, still on the table. Why
    > don't you answer them before you start sputtering more nonsense.
    >
    > remember: your NYC reference still needs explanation. No I will not let
    > you duck and weave. We are entitled to straightforward answers to
    > straightforward questions.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    My point was that there is little difference between people in various
    parts of New York and little difference between people in India and
    those in Pakistan.
    Rich, Oct 6, 2010
  5. Bruce

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 5, 10:25 pm, ScotchBright <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:02:48 +0100, Bruce <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >http://preview.tinyurl.com/33vtc3w
    > >or:
    > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D800_DSLR_due_before_...

    > >Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
    > >D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
    > >handbook are to be believed.

    >         Isn't the D-3X already around that same resolution? Why make a
    > big deal out of a launch of one so close in resolution to one already
    > in their lineup, unless there's something radically different about
    > it?

    Uh, the price, 1/3 that of the D3x.
    Rich, Oct 6, 2010
  6. Bruce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, ScotchBright
    <> wrote:

    > >Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
    > >D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
    > >handbook are to be believed.

    > Isn't the D-3X already around that same resolution?

    yes it is.

    > Why make a
    > big deal out of a launch of one so close in resolution to one already
    > in their lineup, unless there's something radically different about
    > it?

    price and probably some new features. the d3x is $7400 at b&h.
    nospam, Oct 6, 2010
  7. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    ScotchBright <> wrote:

    >Isn't the D3X already around that same resolution? Why make a
    >big deal out of a launch of one so close in resolution to one already
    >in their lineup, unless there's something radically different about
    >it?

    It's a big deal because the D800 will be small, light and reasonably
    priced, yet will be equipped with the same high resolution sensor as
    the much larger, heavier and more expensive D3X.

    Just as the D700 was (and still is) a big deal because it is small and
    light and reasonably priced, yet is equipped with the same ultra
    low-noise sensor as the much larger, heavier and more expensive D3.

    Just as the F100 35mm SLR was a big deal because it was small and
    light and reasonably priced, yet contained most of the advanced
    features of the much larger, heavier and more expensive F5.

    Are you beginning to sense a common thread here?
    Bruce, Oct 6, 2010
  8. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 6, 1:32 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:13:38 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    > >Bruce <> wrote in

    > >>http://preview.tinyurl.com/33vtc3w
    > >> or:
    > >>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D800_DSLR_due_before_Fe
    > >> bruary_2011_news_302529.html

    > >> Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
    > >> D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
    > >> handbook are to be believed.

    > >> The 320-page D800 handbook will be published on 9 February 2011,
    > >> according to an entry which appears to have been posted on an Amazon
    > >> page.

    > >> Written by Jean-Baptiste Guges the book is entitled Obtenez le maximum
    > >> du Nikon D800, which loosely translates as 'getting the most from the
    > >> D800'.

    > >> Details of the 17x21cm book, published separately, suggest that the
    > >> D800 will carry a 24-million-pixel sensor (double that of the
    > >> two-year-old D700) and will cost between Euros 2,000 and Euros 2,500.

    > >It's about friggin TIME, Nikon!  $9000 for more than 12 megapixels was a
    > >bit too much.  So, if the D7000 is the new D300, does this mean the D800
    > >is really the younger brother of the D700?
    > >If this by some miracle lands Stateside for under $2200, I'll get one.

    > The only thing that makes sense to me is if the D800 (assuming it is a
    > 24MP FF camera) replaces the current D700. I can't see Nikon
    > introducing a "little brother" with twice the resolution.

    Well, it depends on what you consider a flagship, the D3x or the D3s?
    What really matters more, resolution (past a point) or noise control?
    RichA, Oct 6, 2010
  9. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:13:38 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bruce <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/33vtc3w
    >>> or:
    >>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D800_DSLR_due_before_Fe
    >>> bruary_2011_news_302529.html
    >>>

    >>> Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
    >>> D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
    >>> handbook are to be believed.
    >>>
    >>> The 320-page D800 handbook will be published on 9 February 2011,
    >>> according to an entry which appears to have been posted on an Amazon
    >>> page.
    >>>
    >>> Written by Jean-Baptiste Guges the book is entitled Obtenez le maximum
    >>> du Nikon D800, which loosely translates as 'getting the most from the
    >>> D800'.
    >>>
    >>> Details of the 17x21cm book, published separately, suggest that the
    >>> D800 will carry a 24-million-pixel sensor (double that of the
    >>> two-year-old D700) and will cost between Euros 2,000 and Euros 2,500.
    >>>

    >>It's about friggin TIME, Nikon! $9000 for more than 12 megapixels was a
    >>bit too much. So, if the D7000 is the new D300, does this mean the D800
    >>is really the younger brother of the D700?
    >>If this by some miracle lands Stateside for under $2200, I'll get one.
    >>

    >The only thing that makes sense to me is if the D800 (assuming it is a
    >24MP FF camera) replaces the current D700. I can't see Nikon
    >introducing a "little brother" with twice the resolution.

    The Nikon Chief Executive implied in a recent interview that the
    future mid-range FF body (D700 replacement to you and me) would have a
    different compromise between higher resolution and lower noise than
    the D700. That was regarded as a careful hint that the replacement
    for the D700 would not only have more pixels, but more noise.

    In other words, you cannot have the D700's ultra-low noise in a camera
    with a 24 MP FF sensor.

    The very low noise of the D700 is a major selling point (along with
    FF, obviously). The D700's ultra-low noise is the major factor in the
    12 MP D700 being rated by DxO Labs as having higher image quality than
    the 24 MP Sony A900 and A950, when normally a camera that has double
    the resolution would be guaranteed a higher rating.

    So I think there is room for both cameras in the range, the D700
    offering ultra-low noise and the D800 offering higher resolution,
    presumably with similar low (but not ultra-low) levels of noise to the
    Nikon D3X. God help Nikon if the D800 has the dreadful noise of the
    Sony A900 and A850, but Nikon is very unlikely to make that mistake.

    Of course comparison with the Sony A900 and A850 is moot, given that
    both Sony full frame cameras have been deleted from the Alpha range
    due to extremely low sales. It seems that the new Alpha flagship will
    be the A77, an SLT (pellicle mirror) successor to the A750.
    Bruce, Oct 6, 2010
  10. Bruce

    peter Guest

    On 10/5/2010 10:43 PM, Rich wrote:
    > On Oct 5, 5:24 pm, peter<> wrote:
    >> On 10/5/2010 5:13 PM, Rich wrote:
    >>

    >>> Bruce<> wrote in

    >>> It's about friggin TIME, Nikon! $9000 for more than 12 megapixels was a
    >>> bit too much. So, if the D7000 is the new D300, does this mean the D800
    >>> is really the younger brother of the D700?
    >>> If this by some miracle lands Stateside for under $2200, I'll get one.

    >> why do you complain about the pricing on cameras you wouldn't buy if
    >> they were 1/3 the price.
    >>
    >> BTW There are some unanswered questions of mine, still on the table. Why
    >> don't you answer them before you start sputtering more nonsense.
    >>
    >> remember: your NYC reference still needs explanation. No I will not let
    >> you duck and weave. We are entitled to straightforward answers to
    >> straightforward questions.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > My point was that there is little difference between people in various
    > parts of New York and little difference between people in India and
    > those in Pakistan.

    Uh huh!
    I don't know which you know less about: New York or global ethnicity.
    There are worlds of differences. I have even been called a foreigner in
    a Korean restaurant.
    There is nothing wrong with cultural and/or ethnic differences. Indeed
    the world would be a boring place if they did not exist.

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 6, 2010
  11. Bruce

    me Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 18:52:34 -0400, peter
    <> wrote:

    >> My point was that there is little difference between people in various
    >> parts of New York and little difference between people in India and
    >> those in Pakistan.

    >Uh huh!
    >I don't know which you know less about: New York or global ethnicity.
    >There are worlds of differences. I have even been called a foreigner in
    >a Korean restaurant.
    >There is nothing wrong with cultural and/or ethnic differences. Indeed
    >the world would be a boring place if they did not exist.

    Heck, ARich recently called me a limey. So that goes to show what he
    knows about New Yorkers.
    me, Oct 7, 2010
  12. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:15:59 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >>Bowser <> wrote:
    >>>The only thing that makes sense to me is if the D800 (assuming it is a
    >>>24MP FF camera) replaces the current D700. I can't see Nikon
    >>>introducing a "little brother" with twice the resolution.

    >>The Nikon Chief Executive implied in a recent interview that the
    >>future mid-range FF body (D700 replacement to you and me) would have a
    >>different compromise between higher resolution and lower noise than
    >>the D700. That was regarded as a careful hint that the replacement
    >>for the D700 would not only have more pixels, but more noise.

    >Agreed, but if Nikon can do what Canon did with the 5D II, they'll be
    >fine. I shot with a 5D for three years, and the 5D II is a better
    >unit, with higher resolution. The noise per pixel may be slightly
    >higher, but overall image quality is higher.'

    That's quite funny, because the reason I changed back to Nikon after
    several years shooting with a 5D was my disappointment with the
    relatively high noise of the 5D II. Even very careful post-processing
    of high ISO RAW images from the 5D II showed noise levels that the 5D
    just didn't have.

    Of course this will vary according to your use of the camera - if you
    stick with low ISOs the 5D II will always outshine the 5D because of
    its 21 MP against the 5D's 12 MP. But at higher ISOs, the difference
    in image quality is much smaller because dealing with the high noise
    levels smudges detail.

    When the 5d II became available I was using (on 5D bodies) several AF
    Nikkors that I had obtained in a deal for a very large Nikon outfit -
    a deal that I could not refuse - and that gave me the option of
    changing to a Nikon body without having to spend a fortune on new
    lenses. The new Nikon D700 has astonishingly low noise at high ISOs.
    That is a real boon for wedding photography, especially in venues
    where flash is not allowed.

    At ISOs up to 12,800 the D700 shows no significant loss of detail. At
    high ISO it provides better IQ than a 5D II as a real world comparison
    of large prints will show. The 5D II might have more pixels, but
    noise prevents it recording as much detail as a D700. That's why the
    D700 (and the D3/D3s) have rapidly supplanted the 5D here as the
    camera of choice for social photography.

    The new D800 will probably have much the same performance as the
    current D3X. In other words, slightly better image quality than the
    Canon 5D II and 1Ds III but higher levels of noise than the
    D700/D3/D3s. So because of the D800's likely higher noise, there will
    still be a market for the ultra-low noise D700.

    A smaller market than now, for sure. Plus there will be a glut of
    used D700 bodies on the market as users trade up, just as there was/is
    a glut of used Canon 5D bodies from users who trade up to the 5D II.

    But the market for the D700 - the king of low noise DSLRs - will still
    exist, as the D3X cannot compete for that crown, so the D800 won't
    either.

    The only thing that could derail my argument is if the D800 has a
    similar low noise performance to the D700 at higher ISOs. However, I
    think that is *very unlikely* because of (1) the performance of the
    D3X and (2) what Nikon's CEO said.

    As for whether the rumour about the D800 is true, my trusted Nikon
    dealer has now accepted a deposit on one for delivery in 2011 Q1. ;-)
    Bruce, Oct 7, 2010
  13. Bruce

    Bowser Guest

    "Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message news:...

    Bowser <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:01:13 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >wrote:

    >>> The only thing that makes sense to me is if the D800 (assuming it is a
    >>> 24MP FF camera) replaces the current D700. I can't see Nikon
    >>> introducing a "little brother" with twice the resolution.

    >>Well, it depends on what you consider a flagship, the D3x or the D3s?
    >>What really matters more, resolution (past a point) or noise control?

    >Image quality matters to me, only. Noise, resolution, color fidelity,
    >etc are just parameters. What made no sense to me is a D800 being a
    >"younger brother" to the D700 even though it has twice the resolution,
    >and likely better IQ.

    >You apparenlty have the hilarious notion that resolution
    >equates to image quality while noise, color fidelity and
    >other "parameters" don't.

    And you obviously misunderstood my post. Image quality is the end result of
    a number of parameters and factors, including resolution, noise, sharpness,
    etc. There is no one factor that by itself determines image quality. I NEVER
    said that those parameters/factors didn't matter. Never.
    Bowser, Oct 7, 2010
  14. Bruce

    Bowser Guest

    "Bruce" wrote in message news:...

    Bowser <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:15:59 +0100, Bruce <>
    >wrote:
    >>Bowser <> wrote:
    >>>The only thing that makes sense to me is if the D800 (assuming it is a
    >>>24MP FF camera) replaces the current D700. I can't see Nikon
    >>>introducing a "little brother" with twice the resolution.

    >>The Nikon Chief Executive implied in a recent interview that the
    >>future mid-range FF body (D700 replacement to you and me) would have a
    >>different compromise between higher resolution and lower noise than
    >>the D700. That was regarded as a careful hint that the replacement
    >>for the D700 would not only have more pixels, but more noise.

    >Agreed, but if Nikon can do what Canon did with the 5D II, they'll be
    >fine. I shot with a 5D for three years, and the 5D II is a better
    >unit, with higher resolution. The noise per pixel may be slightly
    >higher, but overall image quality is higher.'

    >That's quite funny, because the reason I changed back to Nikon after

    ..several years shooting with a 5D was my disappointment with the
    >relatively high noise of the 5D II. Even very careful post-processing
    >of high ISO RAW images from the 5D II showed noise levels that the 5D
    >just didn't have.

    I think there's some sample variation in the 5D II. Mine is very good. And
    if you read the DP Review boards, there's a holy war going on there about
    "banding," which I've never seen. Anyway, I'm betting better prints from my
    5D II at any ISO than I got from my 5D.
    Bowser, Oct 7, 2010
  15. Bruce

    me Guest

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:56:35 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2010-10-06 16:10:34 -0700, me <> said:
    >

    >> Heck, ARich recently called me a limey. So that goes to show what he
    >> knows about New Yorkers.

    >Has Rich been to Vancouver lately?
    >If so he might wonder what is happening in Canada.

    You mean things such as this?

    http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Canadian_drives_into_a_marsh_using_GPS_999.html
    me, Oct 7, 2010
  16. Bruce

    peter Guest

    On 10/7/2010 3:59 PM, me wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:56:35 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2010-10-06 16:10:34 -0700, me<> said:
    >>

    >>> Heck, ARich recently called me a limey. So that goes to show what he
    >>> knows about New Yorkers.

    >> Has Rich been to Vancouver lately?
    >> If so he might wonder what is happening in Canada.

    > You mean things such as this?
    >
    > http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Canadian_drives_into_a_marsh_using_GPS_999.html

    While I was driving in Maine, my GPS tried to take me into someones
    home. I quickly realized I was not on a paved road and turned around,
    The woman in the article obviously was not paying much attention to her
    location until it was too late. The takeaway is that we should not
    mindlessly rely on any mechanical, or digital device, including cameras.
    Maybe though, it was a plastic GPS. ;-)

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 7, 2010
  17. Bruce

    Me Guest

    On 8/10/2010 2:46 a.m., Bowser wrote:

    > "Bruce" wrote in message news:...
    >
    > Bowser <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:15:59 +0100, Bruce <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> The Nikon Chief Executive implied in a recent interview that the
    >>> future mid-range FF body (D700 replacement to you and me) would have a
    >>> different compromise between higher resolution and lower noise than
    >>> the D700. That was regarded as a careful hint that the replacement
    >>> for the D700 would not only have more pixels, but more noise.

    >> Agreed, but if Nikon can do what Canon did with the 5D II, they'll be
    >> fine. I shot with a 5D for three years, and the 5D II is a better
    >> unit, with higher resolution. The noise per pixel may be slightly
    >> higher, but overall image quality is higher.'

    >> That's quite funny, because the reason I changed back to Nikon after

    > .several years shooting with a 5D was my disappointment with the
    >> relatively high noise of the 5D II. Even very careful post-processing
    >> of high ISO RAW images from the 5D II showed noise levels that the 5D
    >> just didn't have.

    > I think there's some sample variation in the 5D II. Mine is very good.
    > And if you read the DP Review boards, there's a holy war going on there
    > about "banding," which I've never seen. Anyway, I'm betting better
    > prints from my 5D II at any ISO than I got from my 5D.

    There is banding / pattern noise in the 5DII. It's not a problem if you
    don't post-process - lifting shadows a stop or two - something more
    likely to be used in landscape photography than for weddings/people.
    Some of the holy war argument seems to be based on whether the sample
    shots people are complaining about are pushed (ie underexposed then
    corrected) to deliberately accentuate the problem, to show a problem
    which doesn't exist for people who don't post-process that way. Perhaps
    there's sample variation, perhaps not. If you don't see it in your
    photos, then it's obviously not a concern to you. But is is an issue
    for other users.
    The D3x doesn't have this issue - but the price is (IMO) totally
    ridiculous. So I hope there is a "D800" coming, even though this rumour
    seems to be based on nothing much at all.
    Me, Oct 8, 2010
  18. Bruce

    ScotchBright Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 19:44:08 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    wrote:

    >On Oct 5, 10:25 pm, ScotchBright <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:02:48 +0100, Bruce <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/33vtc3w
    >> >or:
    >> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D800_DSLR_due_before_...

    >> >Nikon is set to launch the D800 as the successor to the full-frame
    >> >D700 DSLR (pictured) early next year, if online details of a D800
    >> >handbook are to be believed.

    >>         Isn't the D-3X already around that same resolution? Why make a
    >> big deal out of a launch of one so close in resolution to one already
    >> in their lineup, unless there's something radically different about
    >> it?

    >Uh, the price, 1/3 that of the D3x.

    Ah, well... that actually is a good reason then.
    ScotchBright, Oct 8, 2010
  19. Bruce

    ScotchBright Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:21:02 +0100, Bruce <>
    wrote:

    >ScotchBright <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Isn't the D3X already around that same resolution? Why make a
    >>big deal out of a launch of one so close in resolution to one already
    >>in their lineup, unless there's something radically different about
    >>it?

    >It's a big deal because the D800 will be small, light and reasonably
    >priced, yet will be equipped with the same high resolution sensor as
    >the much larger, heavier and more expensive D3X.
    >
    >Just as the D700 was (and still is) a big deal because it is small and
    >light and reasonably priced, yet is equipped with the same ultra
    >low-noise sensor as the much larger, heavier and more expensive D3.
    >
    >Just as the F100 35mm SLR was a big deal because it was small and
    >light and reasonably priced, yet contained most of the advanced
    >features of the much larger, heavier and more expensive F5.
    >
    >Are you beginning to sense a common thread here?

    Yes I am. And I've decided that when I can, I'll probably get
    one of the lighter and cheaper ones.
    ScotchBright, Oct 8, 2010
  20. Bruce

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 7, 5:48 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2010-10-07 12:59:59 -0700, me <> said:
    >
    > > On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:56:35 -0700, Savageduck
    > > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > >> Has Rich been to Vancouver lately?
    > >> If so he might wonder what is happening in Canada.

    > > You mean things such as this?

    > >http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Canadian_drives_into_a_marsh_using_...

    > That
    >
    > might also be appropriate for Rich, but I was thinking more of the
    > ...er "richness", variety, ethnic diversity, and depth of the Vancouver
    > community. Considering that it has one of the largest Chinese and East
    > Asian communities on the North American continent.
    >
    > http://www.vancouver-chinatown.com/http://www.seattlepi.com/getaways/402259_shorttrips05march.html

    Canada likes Chinese immigrants. They arrive with about $400,000 on
    average each, they work hard and generally contribute. They do tend
    to be ghettoized (by choice) but at least the don't end up and stay in
    welfare housing for their lives, like some other groups do.
    Rich, Oct 8, 2010