    Alpha

    Thanks

    José Costa

    jncevcosta, Dec 21, 2006

  2. "jncevcosta" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Hi!
    > I like to know which the machine that I must choose: Nikon D80
    > or Sony Alpha

    Opinions vary of course, but without hesitation I would say the Nikon D80 is
    the one to get -- unless perhaps you have a lot of Minolta-mount lenses
    which will fit the Sony Alpha.

    Even then -- I do have a lot of Minolta lenses, and I already have a Konica
    Minolta Maxxum 5D which is the camera the Sony Alpha is based on, and though
    the Maxxum is an excellent camera I'd still rather have a Nikon D80 and will
    eventually get one.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 21, 2006

  3. jncevcosta

    tomm42 Guest

    On Dec 21, 8:50 am, "jncevcosta" <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I like to know which the machine that I must choose: Nikon D80 or Sony
    > Alpha
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > José Costa

    Ok I'll take a try at this one:
    They both use the same imaging chip, so the choice is in imaging
    processing, lens choice etc
    Sony Alpha:
    Excellent low ISO performance / jpeg
    Bad to worse high ISO performance
    Good OEM RAW converter
    Sony/Minolta lenses are OK, nothing really stands out performance wise.
    Zeiss lenses will be available in 2007, will be very expensive,
    probably autofocus, but not sure about that.

    Nikon D80:
    Excellent low ISO performance (Sony has been reviewed as a slightly
    better)
    Good high ISO performance
    included RAW converter is not very good (nice processing but slow and
    buggy) good Nikon software $150 extra
    Nikon has several state of the art lenses 70-200 f2.8 VR, 17-55 DX,
    17-35 f2.8 28-70 f2.8 and many excellent prime lenses. (Some of the
    lower priced lenses, as with any manufacturer are not so hot) a decent
    all in one 18-200 lens.
    Zeiss lenses available, manual focus only, will not work with D80
    meter.

    That is about it, others will undoubtedly add more. Thom Hogan (Nikon
    person) didn't like the build of the Alpha he tried. You would be happy
    with either, get the best price you can at a reputable store, if you
    have Minolta or Nikon lenses use that to make your descision.

    Tom

    tomm42, Dec 21, 2006
  4. "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message

    > "jncevcosta" <> wrote in message
    >> "Hi!
    >> I like to know which the machine that I must choose: Nikon D80
    >> or Sony Alpha

    > Opinions vary of course, but without hesitation I would say the Nikon D80
    > is the one to get -- unless perhaps you have a lot of Minolta-mount lenses
    > which will fit the Sony Alpha.
    >
    > Even then -- I do have a lot of Minolta lenses, and I already have a
    > Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D which is the camera the Sony Alpha is based on,
    > and though the Maxxum is an excellent camera I'd still rather have a Nikon
    > D80 and will eventually get one.
    >
    > Neil

    I would not agree, the user interface on the A100 is dreamy, easy to master;
    while the UI on Nikons is messy. Many of the controls need you to press
    buttons while twisting an unlabelled commmand dial. The Coolpix 5700 and
    Coolpix 8700 which I had before buying the Sony were so byzantine that I
    took the instruction manual away on holiday! The D80 seems not quite so
    convoluted but appears to have some of the same design.

    The Super Steady Shot function seems to give you about 2 stops advantage and
    since it is in the body works with all your lenses, while the Nikon VR is in
    the lens making stabilzation fitted lenses more expensive.

    I like the "Eye Start AF" although I know that it drives some people mad!

    I like the way the LCD changes from Horizontal to Vertical Aspect Ratio.

    Having said that they are both excellent cameras and while (I seem to
    recall) the Sony scored more points in "Amateur Photographer", they both
    score "Highly Recommended" in dpreview and I expect you will be happy with
    which ever you select.

    Hope this helps,

    Roger

    Roger Matthews, Dec 21, 2006
  5. "Roger Matthews" <> wrote in message

    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "jncevcosta" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Hi!
    >>> I like to know which the machine that I must choose: Nikon D80
    >>> or Sony Alpha

    >> Opinions vary of course, but without hesitation I would say the Nikon D80
    >> is the one to get -- unless perhaps you have a lot of Minolta-mount
    >> lenses which will fit the Sony Alpha.
    >>
    >> Even then -- I do have a lot of Minolta lenses, and I already have a
    >> Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D which is the camera the Sony Alpha is based on,
    >> and though the Maxxum is an excellent camera I'd still rather have a
    >> Nikon D80 and will eventually get one.
    >>
    >> Neil

    > I would not agree, the user interface on the A100 is dreamy, easy to
    > master; while the UI on Nikons is messy. Many of the controls need you to
    > press buttons while twisting an unlabelled commmand dial. The Coolpix 5700
    > and Coolpix 8700 which I had before buying the Sony were so byzantine that
    > I took the instruction manual away on holiday!

    I have the 8700 myself and would agree with that.

    > The D80 seems not quite so convoluted but appears to have some of the same
    > design.

    While I don't have a D80 yet, I do have a D70s and a D40. I don't find their
    systems convoluted at all, though of course they do offer a great range of
    controls over camera functions and that in itself presents some possible
    complications. They are certainly nothing like the Coolpix 8700, which (with
    the 5700) seems to be in a class by itself for difficulty of use. I also
    have an 8800 and that's much more user-friendly than the 8700 -- simply by
    virtue of having the more standard control dial on the top deck.

    I'd agree that Nikon has its own way of doing things, which in some
    instances does take a little getting used to -- but it's not a problem on
    their dSLRs as far as I'm concerned.

    > The Super Steady Shot function seems to give you about 2 stops advantage
    > and since it is in the body works with all your lenses, while the Nikon VR
    > is in the lens making stabilzation fitted lenses more expensive.

    That's true, and it's the one great plus of the Minolta (now Sony)
    anti-shake scheme.

    > I like the "Eye Start AF" although I know that it drives some people mad!

    I have that on the Maxxum 5D too of course, and I think in general it's all
    right. It can be annoying at times, but is useful at other times.

    > I like the way the LCD changes from Horizontal to Vertical Aspect Ratio.

    I do too, but see it as more of a clever novelty than anything else.

    > Having said that they are both excellent cameras and while (I seem to
    > recall) the Sony scored more points in "Amateur Photographer", they both
    > score "Highly Recommended" in dpreview and I expect you will be happy with
    > which ever you select.

    The main drawback of the Minolta/Sony for me is the lack of really good
    ultrawide lenses, which are important to me. My old ultrawides for Minolta
    35mm Maxxums of course won't do anything for me on the APS-sized sensor.
    Sony does catalog an 11-18mm lens in this mount, but it appears to be the
    Tamron 11-18 relabeled, not a very appealing lens. There is the Sigma 10-20
    which looks interesting, but user reports on that have been quite mixed.

    Nikon on the other hand has the superb (albeit pricey) 12-24, Tokina also
    makes an excellent 12-24 in the Nikon mount at about half the price -- and
    from most accounts better than anything available in the Minolta mount. I
    don't have either of those yet, but do have Nikon's great little 10.5
    fisheye, which Nikon Capture 4 converts nicely to rectilinear -- making it
    virtually a dual-function lens.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 21, 2006
  6. jncevcosta

    M-M Guest

    The Nikon has a much better viewfinder and is ergonomically excellent if
    you like to tweak it- i.e., the buttons all seem to fall under your
    fingers. OK, so there is a lot to learn, but that's only because you
    have more choices.

    M-M, Dec 21, 2006
  7. jncevcosta

    Roy G Guest

    Hi!
    I like to know which the machine that I must choose: Nikon D80 or Sony
    Alpha

    Thanks

    José Costa

    Whichever you enjoy holding most,

    Or whichever most suits your photographic needs,

    Or the least popular one if you happen to enjoy being different from the
    crowd.

    Stupid Question!!!!

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 21, 2006