    abt same?
    Dick in MD
    , Nov 2, 2006

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > I was waiting for the Nikon D60, but no news yet today! I then noticed
    > the D80 was already out & was selling for in 400s $ & not the 1000
    > expected! Why should I wait for a virtural D60 if the D80 is here for
    > abt same?

    The D80 is about $1000 USD. If you saw one for $400 you saw a scam.

    You can get a D50 in the $500 range, I believe. If I wanted a
    non-pro-level Nikon DSLR today, I'd probably get a D50. The D80's
    advantages are (in my view) not all that compelling. YMMV.
    Paul Rubin, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Chips Guest

    I saw the D80 kit with 2 lenses, a 512MB card all in a box at COSTCO for
    $1,300.

    GC

    Chips, Nov 2, 2006
  4. Paul Rubin Guest

    "Chips" <> writes:
    > I saw the D80 kit with 2 lenses, a 512MB card all in a box at COSTCO for
    > $1,300.

    Depending on the 2 lenses that's not a big surprise. I'd guess the
    lenses are the cheap 18-55 and 70-300 if they're Nikon lenses. Those
    are around $125-150 each. Or they might be even cheaper 3rd party
    lenses. The 512mb card is about $15. So the total deal is not all
    that great.
    Paul Rubin, Nov 2, 2006
  5. "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message

    > "Chips" <> writes:
    >> I saw the D80 kit with 2 lenses, a 512MB card all in a box at COSTCO for
    >> $1,300.

    > Depending on the 2 lenses that's not a big surprise. I'd guess the
    > lenses are the cheap 18-55 and 70-300 if they're Nikon lenses. Those
    > are around $125-150 each. Or they might be even cheaper 3rd party
    > lenses. The 512mb card is about $15. So the total deal is not all
    > that great.

    With the d80's files in the region of a massive 10MB each it would be a bit
    silly to use a card as small as 512mb as you are going to fill it up after
    just 50 shots! It's almost as bad as having to change traditional 35mm
    film.
    Adrian Boliston, Nov 2, 2006
  6. Al Monte Guest

    I'd wait for the D60, true 3x4 format.

    Al Monte, Nov 2, 2006
  7. Bill Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I was waiting for the Nikon D60, but no news yet today! I then
    >noticed
    > the D80 was already out & was selling for in 400s $ & not the 1000
    > expected! Why should I wait for a virtural D60 if the D80 is here
    > for
    > abt same?

    ???

    Spam?
    Trolling?

    > Dick in MD

    Yeah, dick makes sense...
    Bill, Nov 3, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > I was waiting for the Nikon D60, but no news yet today! I then noticed
    > the D80 was already out & was selling for in 400s $ & not the 1000
    > expected! Why should I wait for a virtural D60 if the D80 is here for
    > abt same?
    > Dick in MD

    Nikon will launch their bottom-of-the-line D40 the week of November 6th.
    It is unlikely Nikon will announce a D60 at this time, more likely in Q2
    2007.
    Not Disclosed, Nov 3, 2006
  9. Al Monte wrote:
    > I'd wait for the D60, true 3x4 format.
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I was waiting for the Nikon D60, but no news yet today! I then noticed
    >> the D80 was already out & was selling for in 400s $ & not the 1000
    >> expected! Why should I wait for a virtural D60 if the D80 is here for
    >> abt same?
    >> Dick in MD

    Why would it be a 4:3 format? The D40 is 2:3 with the same Sony sensor
    that Nikon already uses. The D60 will likely be a dumbed down D80.
    Not Disclosed, Nov 3, 2006
  10. Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > writes:
    >> I was waiting for the Nikon D60, but no news yet today! I then noticed
    >> the D80 was already out & was selling for in 400s $ & not the 1000
    >> expected! Why should I wait for a virtural D60 if the D80 is here for
    >> abt same?

    > The D80 is about $1000 USD. If you saw one for $400 you saw a scam.
    >
    > You can get a D50 in the $500 range, I believe. If I wanted a
    > non-pro-level Nikon DSLR today, I'd probably get a D50. The D80's
    > advantages are (in my view) not all that compelling. YMMV.

    The 2.5" screen and larger viewfinder are reason enough in my opinion to pick
    the D80 or the D50 or D70s.

    The "ghostware" D40 is to be announced shortly, so wait a couple of days and
    see.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Nov 3, 2006
  11. Chips <> wrote:
    > I saw the D80 kit with 2 lenses, a 512MB card all in a box at COSTCO for
    > $1,300.

    Not the two best lenses for the kit either. I would rather buy the body
    elsewhere and skip the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses in that Costco box.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Nov 3, 2006
  12. Bill Guest

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    >> writes:
    >>
    >> You can get a D50 in the $500 range, I believe. If I wanted a
    >> non-pro-level Nikon DSLR today, I'd probably get a D50. The D80's
    >> advantages are (in my view) not all that compelling. YMMV.

    > The 2.5" screen and larger viewfinder are reason enough in my
    > opinion to pick
    > the D80 or the D50 or D70s.

    I dunno, since the D50 and D70s both have a 2.0" display screen.

    :)
    Bill, Nov 3, 2006
  13. Bill Guest

    > Chips <> wrote:
    >> I saw the D80 kit with 2 lenses, a 512MB card all in a box at
    >> COSTCO for
    >> $1,300.

    > Not the two best lenses for the kit either. I would rather buy the
    > body
    > elsewhere and skip the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses in that Costco
    > box.

    Why someone would opt for the great D80 body and then put the mediocre
    little kit lenses on it, I have no idea.
    Bill, Nov 3, 2006
  14. Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    >> writes:
    >>> I was waiting for the Nikon D60, but no news yet today! I then noticed
    >>> the D80 was already out & was selling for in 400s $ & not the 1000
    >>> expected! Why should I wait for a virtural D60 if the D80 is here for
    >>> abt same?

    >> The D80 is about $1000 USD. If you saw one for $400 you saw a scam.
    >>
    >> You can get a D50 in the $500 range, I believe. If I wanted a
    >> non-pro-level Nikon DSLR today, I'd probably get a D50. The D80's
    >> advantages are (in my view) not all that compelling. YMMV.

    > The 2.5" screen and larger viewfinder are reason enough in my opinion to pick
    > the D80 or the D50 or D70s.
    >
    > The "ghostware" D40 is to be announced shortly, so wait a couple of days and
    > see.

    The D40 is a welfare camera! sub $500, smaller and lighter with zero
    user overrides. It's the digital version of the 1980's Nikon EM.
    Not Disclosed, Nov 3, 2006
  15. ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 17:57:19 -0500, Not Disclosed wrote:

    >> The "ghostware" D40 is to be announced shortly, so wait a couple of days and
    >> see.

    > The D40 is a welfare camera! sub $500, smaller and lighter with zero
    > user overrides. It's the digital version of the 1980's Nikon EM.

    It's a welfare camera? Are you implying that its designation
    should really be WD40? Does Nikon bundle the WD40 with a roll of
    Duck Tape in the box? That would making it the first universal, all
    purpose camera that's able to fix all of your photographic needs.
    ASAAR, Nov 3, 2006
  16. Joan Guest

    From Rockwell is saying, it'll be a dumbed down D50.

    --
    Joan

    "Not Disclosed" <> wrote in message
    : Why would it be a 4:3 format? The D40 is 2:3 with the same Sony
    sensor
    : that Nikon already uses. The D60 will likely be a dumbed down D80.
    :
    :
    Joan, Nov 4, 2006
  17. cjcampbell Guest

    Not Disclosed wrote:
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > > Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > >> The D80 is about $1000 USD. If you saw one for $400 you saw a scam.
    > >>
    > >> You can get a D50 in the $500 range, I believe. If I wanted a
    > >> non-pro-level Nikon DSLR today, I'd probably get a D50. The D80's
    > >> advantages are (in my view) not all that compelling. YMMV.

    > > The 2.5" screen and larger viewfinder are reason enough in my opinion to pick
    > > the D80 or the D50 or D70s.
    > >
    > > The "ghostware" D40 is to be announced shortly, so wait a couple of days and
    > > see.
    > >

    > The D40 is a welfare camera! sub $500, smaller and lighter with zero
    > user overrides. It's the digital version of the 1980's Nikon EM.

    Welfare camera? Never heard that before.

    The D40 appears to not even have a M/AF switch. You have to use the one
    on the lens.
    cjcampbell, Nov 4, 2006
  18. Bill Guest

    "cjcampbell" <> wrote in message

    >> The D40 is a welfare camera! sub $500, smaller and lighter with
    >> zero
    >> user overrides. It's the digital version of the 1980's Nikon EM.

    > Welfare camera? Never heard that before.
    >
    > The D40 appears to not even have a M/AF switch. You have to use the
    > one
    > on the lens.

    No need for that switch on the body - the camera does not a screw
    drive for autofocus with older lenses.

    If the D40 even exists, that is.
    Bill, Nov 4, 2006