    features? or, should i sell the d80 and lenses..as i may need
    a new set to go along w/the d200...

    Thank You !!!

    ~^ beancounter ~^, Sep 2, 2007

  2. ~^ beancounter ~^

    acl Guest

    On Sep 2, 6:06 am, ~^ beancounter ~^ <> wrote:
    > i have a d80 and three lenses...i want to upgrade the body to
    > a d200...can i do this and keep my lenses and fully functioning
    > features? or, should i sell the d80 and lenses..as i may need
    > a new set to go along w/the d200...
    >
    > Thank You !!!

    Hi,
    Your lenses will certainly work on the D200, too...

    acl, Sep 2, 2007

  3. thanx for the quick response...so...no problems w/auto
    meters, focus, and other auto features, ea? thanx...
    i will look at just swaping out body's...

    ~^ beancounter ~^, Sep 2, 2007
  4. ~^ beancounter ~^

    acl Guest

    On Sep 2, 6:12 am, ~^ beancounter ~^ <> wrote:
    > thanx for the quick response...so...no problems w/auto
    > meters, focus, and other auto features, ea? thanx...
    > i will look at just swaping out body's...

    Well, to be 100% sure, which lenses are we talking about?

    acl, Sep 2, 2007
  5. ~^ beancounter ~^

    Dimitris M Guest

    >> ...so...no problems w/auto
    >> meters, focus, and other auto features, ea? thanx...
    >> i will look at just swaping out body's...

    > Well, to be 100% sure, which lenses are we talking about?

    Why? Do you know even one lens, of any manyfacturer that fits D80 but no
    D200?

    --
    Dimitris M

    Dimitris M, Sep 2, 2007
  6. ~^ beancounter ~^

    cjcampbell Guest

    On Sep 1, 7:06 pm, ~^ beancounter ~^ <> wrote:
    > i have a d80 and three lenses...i want to upgrade the body to
    > a d200...can i do this and keep my lenses and fully functioning
    > features? or, should i sell the d80 and lenses..as i may need
    > a new set to go along w/the d200...
    >
    > Thank You !!!

    I cannot imagine any lens that works on the D80 that will not work
    exactly the same on a D200.

    cjcampbell, Sep 2, 2007
  7. ~^ beancounter ~^ <> writes:
    > thanx for the quick response...so...no problems w/auto meters,
    > focus, and other auto features, ea? thanx... i will look at just
    > swaping out body's...

    None whatsoever.
    All the features of your D80 lenses will work exactly the same
    on a D200.

    The only thing that puzzles me is why you want to replace the
    D80 with a D200 now? IMHO, the D80 is a very capable camera.
    The successor of the D200, called D300, has just been announced,
    and will (supposdly) be available in shops in November, but will
    probably be in short supply until January. Why don't you
    keep using your D80 until January, and then get the D300?

    There is of course nothing wrong with the D200, but on paper
    at least, the D300 looks even better. In particular the new
    AF module looks sweet.. Since you already own a very good
    camera, you should not be in a hurry to replace it (but it
    is your money).
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS 14n, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Sep 2, 2007
  8. ~^ beancounter ~^

    Sosumi Guest

    "Gisle Hannemyr" <> wrote in message
    > ~^ beancounter ~^ <> writes:
    >> thanx for the quick response...so...no problems w/auto meters,
    >> focus, and other auto features, ea? thanx... i will look at just
    >> swaping out body's...

    > None whatsoever.
    > All the features of your D80 lenses will work exactly the same
    > on a D200.
    >
    > The only thing that puzzles me is why you want to replace the
    > D80 with a D200 now? IMHO, the D80 is a very capable camera.
    > The successor of the D200, called D300, has just been announced,
    > and will (supposdly) be available in shops in November, but will
    > probably be in short supply until January. Why don't you
    > keep using your D80 until January, and then get the D300?
    >
    > There is of course nothing wrong with the D200, but on paper
    > at least, the D300 looks even better. In particular the new
    > AF module looks sweet.. Since you already own a very good
    > camera, you should not be in a hurry to replace it (but it
    > is your money).

    Agreed 100%. I downgraded from the D80 to the D40 to wait for the D300.
    DonĀ“t forget: 2 x lifeview, 3" VGA screen, 6.5 to 8 fps, etc.

    Sosumi, Sep 2, 2007
  9. "cjcampbell" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sep 1, 7:06 pm, ~^ beancounter ~^ <> wrote:

    >> i have a d80 and three lenses...i want to upgrade the body to
    >> a d200...can i do this and keep my lenses and fully functioning
    >> features? or, should i sell the d80 and lenses..as i may need
    >> a new set to go along w/the d200...

    > I cannot imagine any lens that works on the D80 that will not work
    > exactly the same on a D200.

    In addition, the D200 can meter with MF Nikkors, of which
    there are many excellent ones available at good prices used
    (and the D80 cannot meter with these...).
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.donferrario.com/ruether

    David Ruether, Sep 2, 2007
  10. ~^ beancounter ~^

    acl Guest

    On Sep 2, 9:24 am, "Dimitris M" <> wrote:
    > >> ...so...no problems w/auto
    > >> meters, focus, and other auto features, ea? thanx...
    > >> i will look at just swaping out body's...

    > > Well, to be 100% sure, which lenses are we talking about?

    > Why? Do you know even one lens, of any manyfacturer that fits D80 but no
    > D200?

    No, I remembered people discussing old (pre-AI) lenses fitting onto
    the D40 but not on other models, and got confused.

    acl, Sep 2, 2007
  11. " Since you already own a very good camera, you should not be in a
    hurry to replace it (but it
    is your money). "

    hummm...good point.....i will give that some thought....the stpe up in
    features from 200 to
    300 is significant, ea?

    ~^ beancounter ~^, Sep 2, 2007
  12. ~^ beancounter ~^ <> writes:

    >> Since you already own a very good camera, you should not be in a
    >> hurry to replace it (but it is your money).

    > hummm...good point.....i will give that some thought....the step up
    > in features from 200 to 300 is significant, ea?

    Only you can decide that.

    This DPreview article gives a very nice feature-by-feature overview.
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond300/

    I know that for my type use, the new AF module, as well as the
    improved 100% viewfinder is good enough to make me wait, but YMMV.
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS 14n, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Sep 2, 2007
  13. ~^ beancounter ~^

    cjcampbell Guest

    On Sep 2, 7:08 am, acl <> wrote:

    > > > Well, to be 100% sure, which lenses are we talking about?

    > > Why? Do you know even one lens, of any manyfacturer that fits D80 but no
    > > D200?

    > No, I remembered people discussing old (pre-AI) lenses fitting onto
    > the D40 but not on other models, and got confused.

    In fact it is the pre-AI lenses that will not work on the D40.

    cjcampbell, Sep 3, 2007
  14. ~^ beancounter ~^

    cjcampbell Guest

    On Sep 2, 6:29 am, "David Ruether" <> wrote:
    > "cjcampbell" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > > On Sep 1, 7:06 pm, ~^ beancounter ~^ <> wrote:
    > >> i have a d80 and three lenses...i want to upgrade the body to
    > >> a d200...can i do this and keep my lenses and fully functioning
    > >> features? or, should i sell the d80 and lenses..as i may need
    > >> a new set to go along w/the d200...

    > > I cannot imagine any lens that works on the D80 that will not work
    > > exactly the same on a D200.

    > In addition, the D200 can meter with MF Nikkors, of which
    > there are many excellent ones available at good prices used
    > (and the D80 cannot meter with these...).
    > --
    > David Ruether
    > ://www.donferrario.com/ruether

    Although the D300 and D3 are very attractive, I really like my D200. I
    want an FX camera, but the D3 appears to be more of a D3h -- a great
    speedster for sports and action photography. I suspect that Nikon will
    have an FX camera for us scenery and studio photographers sometime
    next year, maybe Photokina.

    cjcampbell, Sep 3, 2007
  15. ~^ beancounter ~^

    acl Guest

    On Sep 3, 4:23 am, cjcampbell <> wrote:

    > > > Why? Do you know even one lens, of any manyfacturer that fits D80 but no
    > > > D200?

    > > No, I remembered people discussing old (pre-AI) lenses fitting onto
    > > the D40 but not on other models, and got confused.

    > In fact it is the pre-AI lenses that will not work on the D40.

    Well, pre-AI lenses shouldn't be mounted on the D200 and up at all:
    they don't even meter, and people have said that they'll damage
    something in the mount-but I haven't tried, as I've never even seen
    one (they're more than 30 years old, usually). But I have read that
    people mount them just fine on a D40 (the part that's damaged in the
    D200 is missing in the D40).

    As I said, I have no personal experience of this.

    acl, Sep 3, 2007
  16. ~^ beancounter ~^

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    cjcampbell <> wrote:

    > > No, I remembered people discussing old (pre-AI) lenses fitting onto
    > > the D40 but not on other models, and got confused.

    > In fact it is the pre-AI lenses that will not work on the D40.

    actually, pre-ai lenses *do* work on the d40/d40x, but not on any other
    nikon dslr.

    <http://www.aiconversions.com/d70etc.htm>

    nospam, Sep 3, 2007
  17. cjcampbell <> writes:
    > On Sep 2, 7:08 am, acl <> wrote:

    >> No, I remembered people discussing old (pre-AI) lenses fitting onto
    >> the D40 but not on other models, and got confused.

    > In fact it is the pre-AI lenses that will not work on the D40.

    That "fact" is false. My pre-AI Nikkors work fine on a D40.
    (And I say this from personal experience.)
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS 14n, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

    Gisle Hannemyr, Sep 3, 2007
  18. ~^ beancounter ~^

    Jim Guest

    On 2007-09-01 22:06:02 -0400, ~^ beancounter ~^ <> said:

    > i have a d80 and three lenses...i want to upgrade the body to
    > a d200...can i do this and keep my lenses and fully functioning
    > features? or, should i sell the d80 and lenses..as i may need
    > a new set to go along w/the d200...
    >
    > Thank You !!!

    The D200 will fit nearly any lens Nikon has made, unlike the D80 which
    only uses Autofocus, D, and G.

    If it works on your D80, it will certainly work on the D200. However
    the revers is not true...

    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

    Jim, Sep 8, 2007
  19. ~^ beancounter ~^

    Guest

    On 2 Sep, 03:06, ~^ beancounter ~^ <> wrote:
    > i have ad80and three lenses...i want to upgrade the body to
    > a d200...can i do this and keep my lenses and fully functioning
    > features? or, should i sell thed80and lenses..as i may need
    > a new set to go along w/the d200...
    >
    > Thank You !!!

    iwas thinking about do that as well but a bit unsure hope u et ur
    information will check later on ur responses thanks

    , Sep 11, 2007
  20. <> wrote in message news:...
    > On 2 Sep, 03:06, ~^ beancounter ~^ <> wrote:

    >> i have ad80and three lenses...i want to upgrade the body to
    >> a d200...can i do this and keep my lenses and fully functioning
    >> features? or, should i sell thed80and lenses..as i may need
    >> a new set to go along w/the d200...

    > iwas thinking about do that as well but a bit unsure hope u et ur
    > information will check later on ur responses thanks

    This has been answered earlier - there is no problem using
    lenses for the earlier Nikon digital bodies on the D200 - plus
    the D200 will additionally meter properly with non-AF
    Nikkors that are AI-converted/AI/AIS. The D200 will also
    work properly with "G" lenses and "VR" lenses. (BTW, the
    D40/D40x, which does not have many of these capabilities,
    can be used with non-AI lenses, though it will not meter with
    them.)

    David Ruether, Sep 12, 2007