Nikon d80 -- still good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PitR, Feb 1, 2008.

  1. PitR

    PitR Guest

    Hi all,
    I'm in the market for a DSLR and had a look at the Nikon d80 at the
    store the other day.
    It looks like a great camera, and feels (albeit still a bit small),
    perfect in my hands.. With a rugged construction and good weight..

    My question is.. Since it's been around for a while now, does it still
    hold up as it did in its release date?
    Back in 2006, Nikon's D70s was the grand daddy with a (from memory,
    6.x mp).. Naturally the D80 would tower over it with many extra
    features..

    But how, in those two years, has the photography world changed?

    Does anyone know if Nikon would be releasing a new model soon, and
    thus replacing the D80, or will this model survive the test of time
    (or at least 2+ years)?

    It's still rather expensive to just go out and buy without putting
    some thought into it (at least for me, anyway).. So I thought I'd come
    here and ask.

    Thanks,

    I.

    PitR, Feb 1, 2008

  2. PitR <> wrote:
    >I'm in the market for a DSLR and had a look at the Nikon d80 at the
    >store the other day.
    >It looks like a great camera, and feels (albeit still a bit small),
    >perfect in my hands.. With a rugged construction and good weight..
    >
    >My question is.. Since it's been around for a while now, does it still
    >hold up as it did in its release date?

    Well, the D80 is about 18 months old and therefore according to a certain
    Rita has reached the end of its shelf life or is spoiled now or past its
    best before date or whatever she comes up with.

    >But how, in those two years, has the photography world changed?
    >Does anyone know if Nikon would be releasing a new model soon,

    Google for Nikon D60. Has just been announced as the successor of the
    D40[x].

    > and
    >thus replacing the D80, or will this model survive the test of time
    >(or at least 2+ years)?

    IMNSHO that's the wrong question. The question you should ask is does the
    camera do what _you_ expect the camera to do and are _you_ comfortable
    handling it? If yes, then buying an older model is actually a great way to
    save some serious money. Cameras are different from salad or milk as they
    don't spoil or rot, no matter what Rita is phantazising about.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 1, 2008

  3. PitR

    measekite Guest

    PitR wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'm in the market for a DSLR and had a look at the Nikon d80 at the
    > store the other day.
    > It looks like a great camera, and feels (albeit still a bit small),
    > perfect in my hands.. With a rugged construction and good weight..
    >
    > My question is.. Since it's been around for a while now, does it still
    > hold up as it did in its release date?
    > Back in 2006, Nikon's D70s was the grand daddy with a (from memory,
    > 6.x mp).. Naturally the D80 would tower over it with many extra
    > features..
    >
    > But how, in those two years, has the photography world changed?
    >
    > Does anyone know if Nikon would be releasing a new model soon, and
    > thus replacing the D80,

    The D80 came out after the D200. Now that the D300 replaced the D200 I
    would expect that sometime this year the D90 will be announced. Your
    guess is as good as mine. Depending on the price you may want to also
    consider the Canon 40D.

    measekite, Feb 1, 2008
  4. PitR

    Tully Guest

    In article
    <>,
    PitR <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I'm in the market for a DSLR and had a look at the Nikon d80 at the
    > store the other day.
    > It looks like a great camera, and feels (albeit still a bit small),
    > perfect in my hands.. With a rugged construction and good weight..
    >
    > My question is.. Since it's been around for a while now, does it still
    > hold up as it did in its release date?
    > Back in 2006, Nikon's D70s was the grand daddy with a (from memory,
    > 6.x mp).. Naturally the D80 would tower over it with many extra
    > features..
    >
    > But how, in those two years, has the photography world changed?
    >
    > Does anyone know if Nikon would be releasing a new model soon, and
    > thus replacing the D80, or will this model survive the test of time
    > (or at least 2+ years)?
    >
    > It's still rather expensive to just go out and buy without putting
    > some thought into it (at least for me, anyway).. So I thought I'd come
    > here and ask.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > I.

    I have a pair of D80's and they're right for me. Tell me what kind of
    photography and what lenses you are considering and I can hazard a guess
    whether the D80 would be right for you.
    (The other question has already been answered).
    --
    "It is the individual alone who is timeless. The individual's
    hungers, anxieties, dreams, and preoccupations have remained

    Tully, Feb 2, 2008
  5. PitR

    PitR Guest

    On Feb 2, 12:26 pm, Tully <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  PitR <> wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > I'm in the market for a DSLR and had a look at the Nikon d80 at the
    > > store the other day.
    > > It looks like a great camera, and feels (albeit still a bit small),
    > > perfect in my hands.. With a rugged construction and good weight..

    > > My question is.. Since it's been around for a while now, does it still
    > > hold up as it did in its release date?
    > > Back in 2006, Nikon's D70s was the grand daddy with a (from memory,
    > > 6.x mp).. Naturally the D80 would tower over it with many extra
    > > features..

    > > But how, in those two years, has the photography world changed?

    > > Does anyone know if Nikon would be releasing a new model soon, and
    > > thus replacing the D80, or will this model survive the test of time
    > > (or at least 2+ years)?

    > > It's still rather expensive to just go out and buy without putting
    > > some thought into it (at least for me, anyway).. So I thought I'd come
    > > here and ask.

    > > Thanks,

    > > I.

    > I have a pair of D80's and they're right for me. Tell me what kind of
    > photography and what lenses you are considering and I can hazard a guess
    > whether the D80 would be right for you.
    > (The other question has already been answered).
    > --
    > "It is the individual alone who is timeless. The individual's
    >  hungers, anxieties, dreams, and preoccupations have remained
    >  unchanged throughout the millennia." Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)- Hide quoted text -

    Expecting a baby soon, so I would guess that most pictures would be
    taken of him..
    I suppose I will make do with the kit lens that comes with the camera
    (should I choose to buy it).. A 18-135 lens seems like a decent glass,
    considering that for the past 15 years I have been shooting with a
    k-1000 and 50mm and 80mm m lenses .. Most anything will be a step-up.

    Naturally having the opportunity to get such wide lens would be a
    great time to practice some landscaping shots, but as I said, mostly
    family shots so, the ability to shoot with a longer focal length will
    come in handy.

    What I wanted to ask was .. Yes, the D-80 will most certainly do
    everything (and more) of what I want to do..
    But if Nikon release a camera in the next 5 months which will take
    over the D-80, then the latter will drop in price a great deal, and if
    at the moment I spend $1500 for the camera and the kit lens, perhaps
    in 5 months I could spend much less for it, or the same money for a
    better camera..

    PitR, Feb 2, 2008
  6. PitR <> wrote:
    >But if Nikon release a camera in the next 5 months which will take
    >over the D-80, then the latter will drop in price a great deal, and if
    >at the moment I spend $1500 for the camera and the kit lens, perhaps
    >in 5 months I could spend much less for it, or the same money for a
    >better camera..

    Unfortunately that is true for any electronic device X and any time span Y.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 2, 2008
  7. PitR

    Tully Guest

    In article
    <>,
    PitR <> wrote:

    > On Feb 2, 12:26 pm, Tully <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >

    > >  PitR <> wrote:
    > > > Hi all,
    > > > I'm in the market for a DSLR and had a look at the Nikon d80 at the
    > > > store the other day.
    > > > It looks like a great camera, and feels (albeit still a bit small),
    > > > perfect in my hands.. With a rugged construction and good weight..

    > > > My question is.. Since it's been around for a while now, does it still
    > > > hold up as it did in its release date?
    > > > Back in 2006, Nikon's D70s was the grand daddy with a (from memory,
    > > > 6.x mp).. Naturally the D80 would tower over it with many extra
    > > > features..

    > > > But how, in those two years, has the photography world changed?

    > > > Does anyone know if Nikon would be releasing a new model soon, and
    > > > thus replacing the D80, or will this model survive the test of time
    > > > (or at least 2+ years)?

    > > > It's still rather expensive to just go out and buy without putting
    > > > some thought into it (at least for me, anyway).. So I thought I'd come
    > > > here and ask.

    > > > Thanks,

    > > > I.

    > > I have a pair of D80's and they're right for me. Tell me what kind of
    > > photography and what lenses you are considering and I can hazard a guess
    > > whether the D80 would be right for you.
    > > (The other question has already been answered).
    > > --
    > > "It is the individual alone who is timeless. The individual's
    > >  hungers, anxieties, dreams, and preoccupations have remained
    > >  unchanged throughout the millennia." Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)- Hide quoted
    > > text -

    > Expecting a baby soon, so I would guess that most pictures would be
    > taken of him..
    > I suppose I will make do with the kit lens that comes with the camera
    > (should I choose to buy it).. A 18-135 lens seems like a decent glass,
    > considering that for the past 15 years I have been shooting with a
    > k-1000 and 50mm and 80mm m lenses .. Most anything will be a step-up.
    >
    > Naturally having the opportunity to get such wide lens would be a
    > great time to practice some landscaping shots, but as I said, mostly
    > family shots so, the ability to shoot with a longer focal length will
    > come in handy.
    >
    > What I wanted to ask was .. Yes, the D-80 will most certainly do
    > everything (and more) of what I want to do..
    > But if Nikon release a camera in the next 5 months which will take
    > over the D-80, then the latter will drop in price a great deal, and if
    > at the moment I spend $1500 for the camera and the kit lens, perhaps
    > in 5 months I could spend much less for it, or the same money for a
    > better camera..

    It sounds like you are more concerned with avoiding "buyer's remorse"
    than you are with any specific feature set , so I recommend simply
    looking for the best deal on a D40, D50 or D70 (if you want to buy now).
    If you wait another six to nine months, you can get the same kind of
    "remaindered" bargain on a D40x or D80. Be aware that, although some
    "kit" lenses are quite good performers, the package deals are generally
    poor bargains because the pieces bought separately can go for the same
    or less than the kit price. Also check out refurbs. Both my bodies were
    Nikon demo's and have turned out to be as good as--maybe better
    than--new issue.

    For the price you are quoting, you should be able to land a D80 , an
    18-55 VR, an extra battery and an SB-600.

    Tully, Feb 2, 2008
  8. PitR

    Yoshi Guest

    "PitR" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I'm in the market for a DSLR and had a look at the Nikon d80 at the
    > store the other day.
    > It looks like a great camera, and feels (albeit still a bit small),
    > perfect in my hands.. With a rugged construction and good weight..
    >
    > My question is.. Since it's been around for a while now, does it still
    > hold up as it did in its release date?
    > Back in 2006, Nikon's D70s was the grand daddy with a (from memory,
    > 6.x mp).. Naturally the D80 would tower over it with many extra
    > features..
    >
    > But how, in those two years, has the photography world changed?
    >
    > Does anyone know if Nikon would be releasing a new model soon, and
    > thus replacing the D80, or will this model survive the test of time
    > (or at least 2+ years)?
    >
    > It's still rather expensive to just go out and buy without putting
    > some thought into it (at least for me, anyway).. So I thought I'd come
    > here and ask.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > I.

    The question is "does a camera meet your needs?". Cameras arent like
    bananas, they dont go rotten.
    You can take wonderful photos with a 1959 Nikon F.

    Yoshi

    Yoshi, Feb 2, 2008
  9. PitR

    Tully Guest

    In article <47a47f0e$0$30716$>,
    "Yoshi" <> wrote:

    > "PitR" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > > I'm in the market for a DSLR and had a look at the Nikon d80 at the
    > > store the other day.
    > > It looks like a great camera, and feels (albeit still a bit small),
    > > perfect in my hands.. With a rugged construction and good weight..
    > >
    > > My question is.. Since it's been around for a while now, does it still
    > > hold up as it did in its release date?
    > > Back in 2006, Nikon's D70s was the grand daddy with a (from memory,
    > > 6.x mp).. Naturally the D80 would tower over it with many extra
    > > features..
    > >
    > > But how, in those two years, has the photography world changed?
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if Nikon would be releasing a new model soon, and
    > > thus replacing the D80, or will this model survive the test of time
    > > (or at least 2+ years)?
    > >
    > > It's still rather expensive to just go out and buy without putting
    > > some thought into it (at least for me, anyway).. So I thought I'd come
    > > here and ask.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > I.

    > The question is "does a camera meet your needs?". Cameras arent like
    > bananas, they dont go rotten.
    > You can take wonderful photos with a 1959 Nikon F.
    >
    > Yoshi

    Amen, brother. I've been playing with a 50-year-old Zeiss Ikon this
    week. The meter is still accurate. You have to be careful not to cut
    yourself on the negatives. Now if I could just remember my recipe for
    hot HC-110 + 10% boric acid...

    Tully, Feb 2, 2008
  10. PitR

    John Turco Guest

    PitR wrote:

    > On Feb 2, 12:26 pm, Tully <> wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > > I have a pair of D80's and they're right for me. Tell me what kind of
    > > photography and what lenses you are considering and I can hazard a guess
    > > whether the D80 would be right for you.
    > > (The other question has already been answered).

    > Expecting a baby soon, so I would guess that most pictures would be
    > taken of him..
    > I suppose I will make do with the kit lens that comes with the camera
    > (should I choose to buy it).. A 18-135 lens seems like a decent glass,
    > considering that for the past 15 years I have been shooting with a
    > k-1000 and 50mm and 80mm m lenses .. Most anything will be a step-up.
    >
    > Naturally having the opportunity to get such wide lens would be a
    > great time to practice some landscaping shots, but as I said, mostly
    > family shots so, the ability to shoot with a longer focal length will
    > come in handy.
    >
    > What I wanted to ask was .. Yes, the D-80 will most certainly do
    > everything (and more) of what I want to do..
    > But if Nikon release a camera in the next 5 months which will take
    > over the D-80, then the latter will drop in price a great deal, and if
    > at the moment I spend $1500 for the camera and the kit lens, perhaps
    > in 5 months I could spend much less for it, or the same money for a
    > better camera..

    Hello, PitR:

    If you mainly intend to take baby photos, paying a great deal of money
    makes little sense, I think. A good, comparatively inexpensive point
    and shoot "super zoom" digicam, should serve your purposes quite nicely,
    most likely.

    Still, some "entry level" DSLR's may be obtained fairly cheaply. My own
    Pentax K100D is a prime example of that, as the camera body only cost me
    $329 USD, after a $50 factory rebate.

    Better, yet, the K100D is fully compatible with countless Pentax film
    lenses. These latter items are very affordable (secondhand, especially),
    on eBay <http://www.ebay.com> and elsewhere.

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 6, 2008
  11. PitR

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 22:41:42 -0600, John Turco <>
    wrote in <>:

    >If you mainly intend to take baby photos, paying a great deal of money
    >makes little sense, I think. A good, comparatively inexpensive point
    >and shoot "super zoom" digicam, should serve your purposes quite nicely,
    >most likely.

    Assuming you get one with minimal shutter lag, like the Panasonic
    DMC-FZ8. Great moments with kids pass all too quickly.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Feb 6, 2008
  12. PitR

    John Turco Guest

    John Navas wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 22:41:42 -0600, John Turco <>
    > wrote in <>:
    >
    > >If you mainly intend to take baby photos, paying a great deal of money
    > >makes little sense, I think. A good, comparatively inexpensive point
    > >and shoot "super zoom" digicam, should serve your purposes quite nicely,
    > >most likely.

    > Assuming you get one with minimal shutter lag, like the Panasonic
    > DMC-FZ8. Great moments with kids pass all too quickly.

    Hello, John:

    The P712 (now discontinued) is another good candidate, in this
    particular respect, says Kodak:

    "Best-in-class .07 second picture capture"

    Cordially,
    John Turco <

    John Turco, Feb 8, 2008