    with cut-price entry level DSLR's.

    Deryck
    .
    deryck lant, Aug 9, 2006

  2. deryck lant <> writes:

    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
    >
    > What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at
    > half the price.

    Alas, no AI metering coupling (I know DPreview claims it has one.
    They are wrong (as is obvious from the images).

    If it had AI metering, it would be a D200-killer, and Nikon
    wouldn't want that.

    > Nikon have raised the bar.

    This is a very nice camera indeed. I can't wait to get my hands on
    it.

    I recently test-drove the D200 and EOS 30D, and the difference in
    handling is amazing. I know this is subjective, but the 30D feels
    like a toy camera compared to the D200. If the D80 also handles like
    the D200, Nikon has got another winner

    I am still waiting for Canon's response to the D200. I really would
    like something with the handling characteristics of D200, and the
    high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally
    about to replace the Sigma, but will not buy anything until after
    Photokina.
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z
    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 9, 2006

  3. The Sony Alpha A100 is a fine camera in many ways - I find image quality to
    be very good and the integrated anti-shake is a definite bonus, though at
    longer shutter speeds it does introduce a noticeable shutter lag effect.

    The A100 has been cut in price ando so will the D80 soon after it arrives in
    a month's time. All new models end up cheaper to buy than the manufacturer
    guide prices. Nevertheless, it looks like the D80 will be nominally more
    expensive than the A100 after the discounting has settled down.

    For me, the biggest issues with the A100 are the lack of quiet autofocus
    lenses and and the mechanically unrefined sound the camera makes when you
    press the shutter release. Apart from that, it gets the thumbs up from me.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  4. I think you either like Canon's handling or you don't - and I think it's the
    same with Nikon. Personally, I like Canon's way of doing things, but I know
    if you are used to Nikon you will find issue with the Canon interface. But
    that doesn't mean it's 'wrong'.

    Apart from that - I'm intrigued by your views on the D200 vs 30D feel. The
    D200 is physically quite large (the D80 in my hands was noticebly smaller -
    much more like a 30D, in fact). Is your view relating to the size and
    solidity or something else.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  5. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <cOjCg.138380$>
    from "Digital Photography Now" <> contains
    these words:

    > The Sony Alpha A100 is a fine camera in many ways - I find image quality to
    > be very good and the integrated anti-shake is a definite bonus, though at
    > longer shutter speeds it does introduce a noticeable shutter lag effect.

    > The A100 has been cut in price ando so will the D80 soon after it
    > arrives in
    > a month's time. All new models end up cheaper to buy than the manufacturer
    > guide prices. Nevertheless, it looks like the D80 will be nominally more
    > expensive than the A100 after the discounting has settled down.

    > For me, the biggest issues with the A100 are the lack of quiet autofocus
    > lenses and and the mechanically unrefined sound the camera makes when you
    > press the shutter release. Apart from that, it gets the thumbs up from me.

    > Ian

    > Digital Photography Now
    > http://dpnow.com

    > "deryck lant" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
    > >
    > > What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at half
    > > the price.
    > > Production of 1,000,000 a year will not meet demand.
    > >
    > > Nikon have raised the bar.
    > >
    > > In the UK the Sony Alpha A100 after 7 days had the price discounted by up
    > > 20 percent.
    > >
    > > If Sony intend to grab DSLR market share they will have to flood the
    > > market
    > > with cut-price entry level DSLR's.

    Demand for the D80 willl be huge - so I'm afraid there will be no need
    for discounted prices for quite some time.

    Deryck
    deryck lant, Aug 9, 2006
  6. Digital Photography Now wrote:

    > I think you either like Canon's handling or you don't - and I think
    > it's the same with Nikon. Personally, I like Canon's way of doing
    > things, but I know if you are used to Nikon you will find issue with
    > the Canon interface. But that doesn't mean it's 'wrong'.

    If only Canon could make the Nikon lenses meter and AF with the 5D they
    would have a winner.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 9, 2006
  7. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <>
    from Gisle Hannemyr <> contains these words:

    > deryck lant <> writes:

    > > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
    > >
    > > What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at
    > > half the price.

    > Alas, no AI metering coupling (I know DPreview claims it has one.
    > They are wrong (as is obvious from the images).

    You are right - Nikon only claim full compatibility with AF and DX lenses.

    > If it had AI metering, it would be a D200-killer, and Nikon
    > wouldn't want that.

    > > Nikon have raised the bar.

    > This is a very nice camera indeed. I can't wait to get my hands on
    > it.

    > I recently test-drove the D200 and EOS 30D, and the difference in
    > handling is amazing. I know this is subjective, but the 30D feels
    > like a toy camera compared to the D200. If the D80 also handles like
    > the D200, Nikon has got another winner

    > I am still waiting for Canon's response to the D200. I really would
    > like something with the handling characteristics of D200, and the
    > high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally
    > about to replace the Sigma, but will not buy anything until after
    > Photokina.

    Nikon is an engineering led company - Canon is a marketing led company.

    The Nikon system is an integrated system and you know nothing is going to be
    made obsolete by future developments.

    Deryck
    deryck lant, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Don't underestimate the sheer marketing muscle of Sony. Nikon is a tiny
    company by comparison and traditional photo outlets are not the mainstay of
    DSLRs any more.

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  9. "deryck lant" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently test-drove the D200 and EOS 30D, and the difference in
    >> handling is amazing. I know this is subjective, but the 30D feels
    >> like a toy camera compared to the D200. If the D80 also handles like
    >> the D200, Nikon has got another winner

    >> I am still waiting for Canon's response to the D200. I really would
    >> like something with the handling characteristics of D200, and the
    >> high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally
    >> about to replace the Sigma, but will not buy anything until after
    >> Photokina.

    > Nikon is an engineering led company - Canon is a marketing led company.

    Few would disagree that Nikon needs more marketing skills. I think you are
    in a minority to think that Canon is short on engineering skills. USM is
    still the best AF motor in the business and it's available in cheaper Canon
    lenses too. Canon also makes its own CMOS sensors, Nikon only specifies its
    sensors and then Sony makes them.

    > The Nikon system is an integrated system and you know nothing is going to
    > be
    > made obsolete by future developments.

    Well, that's wrong for a start because you have already recognised that AI
    metering, an obsolete system, is not supported in the D80.

    Sticking to old values compromises a product and the relatively small Nikon
    lens mount doesn't do it any favours.

    > Deryck

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com
    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  10. deryck  lant

    acl Guest

    Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

    > high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally

    Hi Gisle,

    Could you please clarify what exactly you mean by "tonal range" here? I
    find it hard to interpret this statement so that it makes sense.

    Cheers.
    acl, Aug 9, 2006
  11. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <%nlCg.18277$>
    from "Digital Photography Now" <> contains
    these words:

    > "deryck lant" <> wrote in message
    > >> I recently test-drove the D200 and EOS 30D, and the difference in
    > >> handling is amazing. I know this is subjective, but the 30D feels
    > >> like a toy camera compared to the D200. If the D80 also handles like
    > >> the D200, Nikon has got another winner

    > >> I am still waiting for Canon's response to the D200. I really would
    > >> like something with the handling characteristics of D200, and the
    > >> high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally
    > >> about to replace the Sigma, but will not buy anything until after
    > >> Photokina.

    > > Nikon is an engineering led company - Canon is a marketing led company.

    > Few would disagree that Nikon needs more marketing skills. I think you are
    > in a minority to think that Canon is short on engineering skills. USM is
    > still the best AF motor in the business and it's available in cheaper Canon
    > lenses too. Canon also makes its own CMOS sensors, Nikon only specifies its
    > sensors and then Sony makes them.

    Nobody is saying that Canon is short of engineering skills - they make some
    very fine sensors.

    Canon makes marketing led decisions on the design of cameras.
    Nikon include as many features as possible for the price.

    There is a lot of Nikon research in the sensors made for them by Sony.

    > > The Nikon system is an integrated system and you know nothing is going to
    > > be
    > > made obsolete by future developments.

    > Well, that's wrong for a start because you have already recognised that AI
    > metering, an obsolete system, is not supported in the D80.

    When Canon introduced the EOS system with the EF lens mount they overnight
    made many millions of FD mount lenses quite obsolete.

    The Nikon D80 will mount all the untold millions of AI Nikkor lenses
    using manual
    exposure control. You can still use electronic focus confirmation.

    > Sticking to old values compromises a product and the relatively small Nikon
    > lens mount doesn't do it any favours.

    Tell that to the millions of Canon FD camera and lens owners. Nikon camera
    owners seem to be happy.

    Ian I am not going to be drawn into a cat fight. You prefer Canon Cameras -
    thats fine with me.

    Cheers

    Deryck
    deryck lant, Aug 9, 2006
  12. On the contrary, I'm not pro-Canon, just respectfully pointing out what I
    think are anomalies in your argument. I respect both companies for their
    undoubted strengths - both have interesting weaknesses too, as do all camera
    manufacturers of course.

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  13. deryck  lant

    SimonLW Guest

    "Digital Photography Now" <> wrote in message
    > Don't underestimate the sheer marketing muscle of Sony. Nikon is a tiny
    > company by comparison and traditional photo outlets are not the mainstay
    > of DSLRs any more.
    >
    > Ian

    True but Nikon and Canon are huge in SLR cameras and have top notch lens
    lines to back it up. Most consumers are familiar with Nikon and Canon's Pro
    use underpinnings. I can't see a pro walking around with a Sony dSLR. If
    Sony chooses to push their line to several models and a full lens line, they
    may have something. They seem to be now skimming the popular low end dSLR
    market now.
    -S
    SimonLW, Aug 9, 2006
  14. deryck  lant

    SimonLW Guest

    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
    >
    > What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at half
    > the price.
    > Production of 1,000,000 a year will not meet demand.
    >
    > Nikon have raised the bar.
    >
    > In the UK the Sony Alpha A100 after 7 days had the price discounted by up
    > 20 percent.
    >
    > If Sony intend to grab DSLR market share they will have to flood the
    > market
    > with cut-price entry level DSLR's.
    >
    > Deryck

    Looks like a geat camera and making me wonder if it is time to leave Canon.
    I'm using the 6mp Rebel and 8mp is not quite enough to consider upgrading.
    10mp would. I'd consider the switch if Nikon did VR/IS in camera, but I
    don't think Nikon does this. I'm in no hurry, so I can see what Canon might
    have next.
    -S
    SimonLW, Aug 9, 2006
  15. deryck  lant

    W (winhag) Guest

    Yes, it seems that except for 'full frame' sensors, Nikon is providing
    better products. Being a Canon user, I hope that this will push Canon
    to lower the 5D price and/or bump up the sensor in the 5D to 16.7 MP
    (when the 1Ds 22MP comes out).

    W (winhag), Aug 9, 2006
  16. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <u1nCg.18360$>
    from "Digital Photography Now" <> contains
    these words:

    > On the contrary, I'm not pro-Canon, just respectfully pointing out what I
    > think are anomalies in your argument. I respect both companies for their
    > undoubted strengths - both have interesting weaknesses too, as do all
    > camera
    > manufacturers of course.

    > Ian

    You're quite right.

    Sorry if I seemed to overreact. I use both systems!

    Deryck

    deryck lant, Aug 9, 2006
  17. deryck  lant

    Guest

    The D80 seems indeed like a very nice hobby camera.

    Actually, the product release that interested me the most is the new
    Nikon 70-300mm lens with Vibration Reduction, ED glass, and HSM.

    This is similar to a 100-450mm in 35mm. Most people won't need more
    tele than that. And the VR should make it usable without a tripod. I
    will be looking out for reviews.

    Tom

    deryck lant wrote:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
    >
    > What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at half
    > the price.
    > Production of 1,000,000 a year will not meet demand.
    >
    > Nikon have raised the bar.
    >
    > In the UK the Sony Alpha A100 after 7 days had the price discounted by up to
    > 20 percent.
    >
    > If Sony intend to grab DSLR market share they will have to flood the market
    > with cut-price entry level DSLR's.
    >
    > Deryck
    > .
    , Aug 9, 2006
  18. I used to lust after (read being very sad!) a Nikon F2 Photomic when I was
    in my late teens. Canon at the time was nowhere in the pro field with its
    F1. Then the all-electronic and plastic-bodied Canon AE1 came along and,
    with the A1, revitalised Canon. But I think Canon did the right thing by
    reinventing the lens mount for EOS and autofocus and I think history
    supports that view.

    Even though Nikon had a useful head start on Canon in the digital era of the
    SLR, Canon is proved to be the dominant player, both in the professional and
    consumer sectors. But that's not to say it won't change in the future. I
    personally find it very odd that Canon sells DSLRs with three different
    sensor sizes, has a confused lens strategy and I support Nikon's strategy of
    concentrating on DX lenses and the APS sized sensor, though rumour has it
    that Nikon is working on a full frame DSLR now - which I think is
    unnecessary.

    Digital Photography Now, Aug 9, 2006
  19. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    deryck lant, Aug 10, 2006
  20. deryck  lant

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:56:00 GMT, "Digital Photography Now"
    <> wrote:

    >Even though Nikon had a useful head start on Canon in the digital era of the
    >SLR, Canon is proved to be the dominant player, both in the professional and
    >consumer sectors. But that's not to say it won't change in the future. I
    >personally find it very odd that Canon sells DSLRs with three different
    >sensor sizes, has a confused lens strategy and I support Nikon's strategy of
    >concentrating on DX lenses and the APS sized sensor, though rumour has it
    >that Nikon is working on a full frame DSLR now - which I think is
    >unnecessary.

    I'm not so sure I agree with the idea that Canon's lens strategy is
    "confusing". It's far more clear than Nikon's.
    With Canon, it's simple: EF lenses can be use don all of their DSLR,
    and EF-S lenses can only be used on the Digital Rebels, the 20D and
    the 30D.
    As for Nikon's lens lineup (past and present, as most past lenses can
    be used), the user is confronted with many types, all of which have
    different basic capabilities on the current crop of bodies; some are
    totally manual, others will autofocus, and others are competely
    automatic. (Or manual, depending on the user's desires, of course.) I
    find this much more confusing, although I don't use a Nikon DSLR.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 10, 2006