Nikon D80: Goose Doing Pilates

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by M-M, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. M-M

    M-M Guest

    M-M, Mar 27, 2007

  2. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 27, 2007

  3. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote:

    > >http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/DSC_0419a.jpg
    > >
    > >(I know, I should have taken it with RAW but the white is /supposed/ to
    > >be white.)

    > But you don't want to blow out the details either, which this appears to
    > have lost. Tough shot yes. Does the D80 allow you check an rgb histogram?

    It does. Here it is for this photo:

    http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/rgb.jpg

    What can I do with it?

    --
    m-m
    M-M, Mar 28, 2007
  4. On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:52:01 -0400, in rec.photo.digital M-M
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote:
    >
    >> >http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/DSC_0419a.jpg
    >> >
    >> >(I know, I should have taken it with RAW but the white is /supposed/ to
    >> >be white.)

    >> But you don't want to blow out the details either, which this appears to
    >> have lost. Tough shot yes. Does the D80 allow you check an rgb histogram?

    >It does. Here it is for this photo:
    >
    >http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/rgb.jpg
    >
    >What can I do with it?

    You could see the image was blown out a bit and try another shot dialing in
    negative exposure compensation.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 28, 2007
  5. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote:

    > >http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/rgb.jpg
    > >
    > >What can I do with it?

    > You could see the image was blown out a bit and try another shot dialing in
    > negative exposure compensation.
    > --

    Does the histogram tell you it was "blown out a bit" because the peaks
    are cut off at the top, or because some of the graph is tall on the
    right side?

    (trying to figure this out...)

    thanks

    --
    m-m
    M-M, Mar 29, 2007
  6. On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:16:48 -0400, in rec.photo.digital M-M
    <> wrote:

    >Does the histogram tell you it was "blown out a bit" because the peaks
    >are cut off at the top, or because some of the graph is tall on the
    >right side?

    Because it's butted up on the right side. You could do this with the single
    luminesce histogram as well, but the rgb one's tell you which channels. If
    you are only blowing out say one channel, many raw converters can use the
    info in the other channels to extract detail when you later process using
    negative exposure compensation.

    http://www.naturescapes.net/092004/gd0904.htm
    http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/_articles.php?id=30
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 29, 2007
  7. M-M

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:16:48 -0400, M-M wrote:

    > > You could see the image was blown out a bit and try another shot dialing in
    > > negative exposure compensation.

    > Does the histogram tell you it was "blown out a bit" because
    > the peaks are cut off at the top, or because some of the graph
    > is tall on the right side?

    No, the blown out bits won't cause any peaks to be cut off at the
    top. The height of the histogram at any point is an indicator of
    the relative number of pixels having a brightness associated with
    that position (column) in the histogram. If the graph/curve is
    concentrated on the right side it might suggest that some parts of
    the image may be blown out, but that won't guarantee it. The
    histogram is one page of the Photo Information described on pages 62
    and 63 of the D80 manual. The page just before the Histogram page
    is titled Highlights, and that's the one that will show the blown
    out bits by surrounding them with a flashing border. But if the
    Highlight page didn't exist, you could use the Histogram in
    conjunction with a few more different exposures to be able to
    determine if there were or weren't any more blown out areas. When
    doing this it might be convenient to use exposure bracketing until
    you're confident that you're not overexposing some highlights.
    ASAAR, Mar 29, 2007
  8. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote:

    > Because it's butted up on the right side. You could do this with the single
    > luminesce histogram as well, but the rgb one's tell you which channels. If
    > you are only blowing out say one channel, many raw converters can use the
    > info in the other channels to extract detail when you later process using
    > negative exposure compensation.
    >
    > http://www.naturescapes.net/092004/gd0904.htm
    > http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/_articles.php?id=30

    good stuff. thanks