    recommends to reformat the card to get a better performance, but is it
    dangerous to do that keeping in mind this sad experience of the Canon guys?

    Just D.

    Just D, Jan 20, 2007

  2. Just D

    Freedom55 Guest

    Just D wrote:
    > Does anybody has any experience with this combination - Nikon D80 and
    > Transcend SDHC 8 GB card? I saw on the transcendusa.com web site that some
    > Canon digital cameras are having problems with 4 GB cards even if they
    > supposed to be absolutely compatible and when people tried to format these
    > cards they actually were not able to continue working with the camera as
    > well as the SDHC card. But I also saw one review on the Internet about the
    > Nikon D80 owner, he tried transcend 8 GB SDHC card and the only one
    > complaint was - it's slow, but he was working with RAW + JPG images, that
    > should be slower because of the amount of the data.
    >
    > Who from the happy owners of the Nikon D80 could share his own experience or
    > working with these SDHC 8 GB cards? Any formatting problems? Nikon
    > recommends to reformat the card to get a better performance, but is it
    > dangerous to do that keeping in mind this sad experience of the Canon guys?
    >
    > Just D.

    So, the D80 does not use CF cards?? That's a bummer!

    Ron

    --
    And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

    Lennon & McCartney

    Freedom55, Jan 21, 2007

  3. Just D

    Just D Guest

    Didn't you notice the magic word - SDHC ? Maybe you don't know but it means
    Secure Digital.

    http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS8GSDHC

    So CF can take a rest here.

    Just D.

    Just D, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Just D

    Just D Guest

    Just D, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Just D

    gpaleo Guest

    Ï "Freedom55" <"joinertake this out"@ns.sympatico.ca> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    > So, the D80 does not use CF cards?? That's a bummer!
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > --
    > And it really doesn't matter if
    > I'm wrong I'm right
    > Where I belong I'm right
    > Where I belong.
    >
    > Lennon & McCartney

    Bummer why?

    gpaleo, Jan 21, 2007
  6. On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:00:18 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Just D"
    <> wrote:

    >> So, the D80 does not use CF cards?? That's a bummer!

    >http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D80_noprint.pdf
    >
    >Page 142

    Oh come on asking someone to dl the full manual at 9+ MB is ridiculous. You
    could have pointed to any review or even the Nikon site at:
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25412
    click the Tech Specs tab.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 21, 2007
  7. Just D

    Just D Guest

    Sorry, forgot that I have over 1 MByte/sec down.

    But anyway nobody answered the original question.

    Just D.

    Just D, Jan 21, 2007
  8. gpaleo wrote:

    > Ï "Freedom55" <"joinertake this out"@ns.sympatico.ca> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    >> So, the D80 does not use CF cards?? That's a bummer!

    > Bummer why?

    People upgrading from a D70 have CF cards. People thinking of it as a
    possible backup for a D200 or a D2X have CF cards. Having to have a
    second set of cards rather spoils some of the purpose of a backup, and
    raises the price quite a lot. (We're talking people here who perhaps
    already have 16 4GB cards, some of them; getting anything close to that
    again in SD is gonna cost more than the D80!)

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 21, 2007
  9. Just D

    Paul Rubin Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> writes:
    > possible backup for a D200 or a D2X have CF cards. Having to have a
    > second set of cards rather spoils some of the purpose of a backup, and
    > raises the price quite a lot. (We're talking people here who perhaps
    > already have 16 4GB cards, some of them; getting anything close to
    > that again in SD is gonna cost more than the D80!)

    64GB of SDHC cards is about $560 these days, not pocket change but
    less than a D80.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211148

    Someone with both a D80 and a D200 wanting to share cards between them
    might look into this:

    http://sd-to-cf.com/sd_to_cf_adapter.php

    Paul Rubin, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Just D

    Doug Robbins Guest

    Only if you are on dialup. Nine MB isn't a particularly large file.

    Doug Robbins, Jan 22, 2007
  11. Just D

    Just D Guest

    David,

    Well, I'd agree, switching from CF to SD is painful, although it also
    depends on many factors, for example the out-of-pocket price for a 8 GB card
    (class 2) is about 93 USD now and 4 GB (class 6) is about 66 USD. I'm not
    talking about crazy stores like CompUSA, BestBuy, etc., still selling 2 GB
    SanDisk Ultra II for 120 + taxes. If you cross the street you can find the
    same SD card at Costco for 54 INCLUDING taxes (or for 48 without). And the
    price is going down step by step.

    From another side I honestly can't imagine why I'd buy 16 4GB cards instead
    of one or two 8 GB expecting 16-32 cards to be published pretty soon? For a
    very long trip where I should shoot many times per minute? I usually make
    300-350, maximum 500 shots per day including panoramic photos to be stitched
    later. So one 8 GB card will be usable for 4-5 days of very aggressive
    shooting in 10.2 mpx JPG fine.

    Having one 8 GB plus one 4 GB "in case of extra fast shooting" would solve
    most of my problems for a relatively long time including one a few day long
    trip, etc. Having to shoot at the office with computers nearby resolves some
    other issues like battery and storage.

    How many people do you really know who have not even 16, but over 10 4GB
    cards?

    Just D.

    Just D, Jan 22, 2007
  12. Just D

    Richard H. Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > David Dyer-Bennet <> writes:
    >>possible backup for a D200 or a D2X have CF cards. Having to have a
    >>second set of cards rather spoils some of the purpose of a backup, and
    >>raises the price quite a lot. (We're talking people here who perhaps
    >>already have 16 4GB cards, some of them; getting anything close to
    >>that again in SD is gonna cost more than the D80!)

    > 64GB of SDHC cards is about $560 these days, not pocket change but
    > less than a D80.

    This is a popular argument, but after investing in a quality DSLR and
    lenses, would you really go buy the cheapest media you can find?

    I value my images too much to use brand X cards. The cheapest cards are
    often much slower too, which makes a big difference in downloading and
    recycling after a burst.

    In contrast, Lexar runs about $30/GB - at 32GB you've got more money in
    flash cards than the D80 body. And the D200 is <$500 more than the D80
    - most folks with a lot of CF cards would rather spend the money on the
    D200 instead of new SD cards. :)

    Cheers,
    Richard

    Richard H., Jan 22, 2007
  13. Paul Rubin wrote:
    > David Dyer-Bennet <> writes:
    >> possible backup for a D200 or a D2X have CF cards. Having to have a
    >> second set of cards rather spoils some of the purpose of a backup, and
    >> raises the price quite a lot. (We're talking people here who perhaps
    >> already have 16 4GB cards, some of them; getting anything close to
    >> that again in SD is gonna cost more than the D80!)

    > 64GB of SDHC cards is about $560 these days, not pocket change but
    > less than a D80.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211148

    And rather more if you buy name-brand and faster cards. Of course not
    *that* many people have that much, either.

    > Someone with both a D80 and a D200 wanting to share cards between them
    > might look into this:
    >
    > http://sd-to-cf.com/sd_to_cf_adapter.php

    Or just avoid the consumer cameras that don't take CF cards.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 22, 2007
  14. Just D

    Just D Guest

    Take a quick look: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cf-sd.htm

    Ken is a professional photographer and in my mind he writes the right
    things. Take a look at "DoWeCare part". I'd rather buy a hugest but not the
    fastest card for everyday work or/and my trips if the price difference
    between the fastest and the one that I want is about 5-8 times, and as a
    reserved some intermediate size faster card for sport of some other fast
    shooting where I really need speed or for RAW shooting. Maybe it also
    depends if you shoot in RAW+JPG mode, then yes, it can take a while to save
    the data from the buffer. But the fast 8 GB card that I've seen in CompUSA
    was over 450 USD, these guys are crazy, but I'd never buy this card for
    myself. Yes, I don't like non-reliable junk cards, but there is always a
    balance between what we can and what we want.

    Regarding "avoid the consumer cameras that don't take CF cards" - we all are
    consumers, but some of us are using same or similar devices to make money
    and spend the whole life with it, for some of us it's just a hobby, more or
    less expensive - depends on the person and its pocket. I'd rather spend
    30-40 USD for the adapter to use my whole collection of cards then switch to
    another ones. But here is the trap. There are a lot of much larger cards
    that we can buy now even comparing to the previous year and instead of
    getting 10-16 2GB or 4 GB cards I'd take fewer but bigger ones.

    Anyway that's a personal choice and anybody can make it on his own. We all
    can make advices, that's it! :)

    Just D, Jan 22, 2007
  15. Just D

    Just D Guest

    Just returning back to my original posting. Maybe somebody wants to know
    that.

    I finally got 2 cards from transcendusa - 4 gigs (class 6) and 8 gigs (class
    2). Both are working great, reformatted them inside D80 as Nikon
    recommended, but it wasn't necessary anyway. Nikon noticed that reformatted
    inside Nikon cards will be working faster. Maybe-maybe...

    4 GB card shows about 525 or over shots in jpg FINE/Large. 8 GB far over a
    thousands. We'll see later when start shooting on these cards, because these
    numbers are the worst expectation, really the number should be greater,
    depends on the contents of the images.

    Just D.

    Just D, Jan 25, 2007
  16. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 25, 2007
  17. In article <45b40528$0$18926$>,
    "Doug Robbins" <> wrote:

    > Only if you are on dialup. Nine MB isn't a particularly large file.

    Child's play I've downloaded 30-40mb files over dial up.
    --
    George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.

    Gregory Blank, Jan 25, 2007
  18. Just D

    Just D Guest

    Just a different answering style. Would you prefer such informative answers
    like "Sure!", "Yes!", etc.? I don't think so. When IE starts downloading PDF
    it shows the size, you can always stop it. But I saw the only one complaint
    about the file size, maybe it's not very important, but the others were able
    to open and read it if they really wanted.

    Just D.

    Just D, Jan 25, 2007