    Nikon D70s?

    Thanks,
    Ken
    Ken M, Jan 21, 2006

  2. "Ken M" <> writes:

    > Can someone advise if lenses for a Nikon N-70 (AF-D) will fit and work on a
    > Nikon D70s?

    Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
    sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
    lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
    won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
    things).
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 21, 2006

  3. Ken M

    JR Guest

    > Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
    > sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
    > lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
    > won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
    > things).

    Not correct, the N70 WILL meter with AI, and AIS lenses without chips.
    The D70 and D70s will not...They both will use AF-D lenses with no
    problems.

    JR
    JR, Jan 21, 2006
  4. Ken M

    Roger Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:24:48 -0800, JR <> wrote:

    >> Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
    >> sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
    >> lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
    >> won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
    >> things).

    >Not correct, the N70 WILL meter with AI, and AIS lenses without chips.
    >The D70 and D70s will not...They both will use AF-D lenses with no
    >problems.

    Mine (D-70) meters fine with a straight AF 75 300 or at least I set it
    to auto and get good results.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com.

    Roger, Jan 21, 2006
  5. Ken M

    Jim Guest

    "Ken M" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone advise if lenses for a Nikon N-70 (AF-D) will fit and work on
    > a Nikon D70s?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ken

    Yes and of course.
    Jim
    Jim, Jan 21, 2006
  6. Ken M

    Jim Guest

    "JR" <> wrote in message

    >> Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
    >> sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
    >> lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
    >> won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
    >> things).

    > Not correct, the N70 WILL meter with AI, and AIS lenses without chips.
    > The D70 and D70s will not...They both will use AF-D lenses with no
    > problems.
    >
    > JR

    Since the OP asked about AF-D lenses, there is no reason to discuss pre-AI,
    AI, and AI-S lenses. The manual covers that issue quite well.
    Jim
    Jim, Jan 21, 2006
  7. JR <> writes:

    > > Yes. They'll give a different angle of view, because the digital
    > > sensor is smaller than the film; but all the restrictions on D70
    > > lenses also apply to the N70 (won't meter with non-chipped lenses,
    > > won't mount non-AI lenses without damage, possibly other more minor
    > > things).

    > Not correct, the N70 WILL meter with AI, and AIS lenses without chips.
    > The D70 and D70s will not...They both will use AF-D lenses with no
    > problems.

    Oops, sorry! I had thought the lack of the sensor for AI and AIS lens
    communication was a physical attribute of the camera body, that would
    be the same in both versions. Now I'm *particluarly* annoyed at Nikon
    for not providing metering with those lenses in the consumer DSLR
    models. (The Fuji S2 can't, either, because the physical sensor is
    missing from the N80 body it's based on. And the D100 can't,
    either.)

    In fact...are you *sure* you're right? I just checked the Nikon web
    site, and while the N70 isn't a current model, the N80 and the N75
    *both* say they meter only with AF* and AI-P lenses. I'd expect the
    N80 to be the same, or worse.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 21, 2006
  8. Ken M

    Paul Rubin Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> writes:
    > In fact...are you *sure* you're right? I just checked the Nikon web
    > site, and while the N70 isn't a current model, the N80 and the N75
    > *both* say they meter only with AF* and AI-P lenses. I'd expect the
    > N80 to be the same, or worse.

    AI-P lenses have a CPU in them and will meter with any camera that can
    meter with AF lenses, including the D70.

    The D70 is sort of an N80 descendant and can't meter with non-CPU
    lenses. That is, it's more closely related to the N80 than the N70.

    The N70 is older than the N80 and as such, it was closer to the MF era
    and it retained the ability to meter with MF lenses. That ability was
    removed to save a few bucks in the later N80, and consequently in the
    D100/D70.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 21, 2006
  9. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    Thanks for the help folks.

    I'm toying with the idea of a D70s or D100 (there are still some very good
    used one's around). I have 4 lenses with my N70, and I'd like to still use
    them, and it appears as though I can do so. That can certainly save me some
    big bucks.

    I suppose what I see in the eye piece or view finder on the D70 or D100 will
    be a lot more than will make it to my digital photo. What I see on the LCD
    screen on the back of the digital camera will be the portion actually making
    it's way to my digital photo, right?

    Ken

    Ken M, Jan 22, 2006
  10. Ken M

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Ken M" <> writes:
    > I suppose what I see in the eye piece or view finder on the D70 or
    > D100 will be a lot more than will make it to my digital photo.

    No, the D70/D100 viewfinders are masked so you only see what will go
    into the digital file. Actually a little bit less.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 22, 2006
  11. In article <dTBAf.15868$>, Ken M
    <> wrote:
    > What I see on the LCD
    > screen on the back of the digital camera will be the portion actually making
    > it's way to my digital photo, right?

    The LCD simply displays the picture you took. (Until you take a picture
    it shows nothing, unlike most non-SLRs.)
    Jeffrey Jones, Jan 22, 2006
  12. "Ken M" <> wrote in message

    > Can someone advise if lenses for a Nikon N-70 (AF-D) will fit and work on
    > a Nikon D70s?

    Yes, the D70s accepts all AF Nikkor lenses (D or not).
    Andrew Koenig, Jan 23, 2006
  13. Ken M

    Rina Guest

    Nikon AF-D lenses or Not D

    OK, My D50 accepts and works with my lenses from my ancient 2020, but what
    I'm wondering is what does the "D" represent?

    I'm questioning a 50 mm 1.8... should I replace it with a "D" version?

    Rina

    Rina, Jan 23, 2006
  14. Ken M

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Re: Nikon AF-D lenses or Not D

    "Rina" <> writes:
    > OK, My D50 accepts and works with my lenses from my ancient 2020, but what
    > I'm wondering is what does the "D" represent?
    >
    > I'm questioning a 50 mm 1.8... should I replace it with a "D" version?

    D means the lens communicates its focusing distance to the camera.
    That helps the camera figure out flash exposure for certain types of
    scenes. It's not that big a deal. If you're thinking of buying a
    50/1.8 and you can buy the D version for a few dollars more than the
    non-D, you may as well get the D. If you already have the non-D, I'd
    say don't bother upgrading.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 23, 2006
  15. Ken M

    Rina Guest

    Re: Nikon AF-D lenses or Not D

    I hate to be so dense about this, but... I already own a non "D" version. I
    hate using a flash, but there ate times when it's necessary... When I
    purchase a Dedicated flash, probably will be the SB 600, will the non "D"
    lens and the new flash work together.

    Thanks
    Rina

    Rina, Jan 24, 2006
  16. Ken M

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Re: Nikon AF-D lenses or Not D

    "Rina" <> writes:
    > I hate to be so dense about this, but... I already own a non "D"
    > version. I hate using a flash, but there ate times when it's
    > necessary... When I purchase a Dedicated flash, probably will be the
    > SB 600, will the non "D" lens and the new flash work together.

    The non-D lens will work ok. The D version will give more precise
    flash exposure in certain situations. That is, the benefit is not
    zero, but it is minor. It's worth taking into account when you buy a
    new lens. It's probably not enough to justify the cost in money and
    aggrevation of selling off a non-D lens you already have and then
    buying a D version of the exact same lens.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 24, 2006
  17. Ken M

    Rina Guest

    Re: Nikon AF-D lenses or Not D

    Good... I guess I just added about $100 to my flash account.

    Thanks

    Rina, Jan 24, 2006